• ...and so much more!
  • jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Have no problem with mine. Any ftf have been on steel case ammo and reloads with CCI primers. None on factory brass ammo. But that is with oil as well. Frog lube works great for me even below freezing and damp.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic
    Guns International

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    How do I use FrogLube in cold weather?
    Always follow manufacturers instructions for your firearm. FrogLube is designed for arctic use. When you follow FrogLube directions, your lubricant is contained “within” your firearm, not “on” it. You should “winterize” your firearm before the onset of cold temps. Use FrogLube “Dry – Clean” Solvent to remove excess lube and protectant film. Wipe Dry. Use FrogLube CLP lube very sparingly. Your firearm is now ready for cold temperatures. For comprehensive instructions, follow the guidance provided in professional manuals such as the US Army’s Field Manual FM 31-70, Chapter 6. Excerpt; “DURING THE WINTER, WEAPONS MUST BE STRIPPED COMPLETELY AND CLEANED WITH A DRY – CLEANING SOLVENT TO REMOVE ALL LUBRICANTS AND RUST PREVENTION COMPOUNDS.”

- See more at: FAQ | FrogLube

and

[h=3]How does FrogLube work?[/h]FrogLube is a heavy specific gravity “food grade” mixture that seeps deep into the micro spaces of the metal and acts as if to ‘season’ the surface of the bore, any friction points and all areas treated with the lube. Once treated, fouling particles resist bonding to metal surfaces; instead, they easily wipe away or brush off the surface. This also applies to other loose fouling particles such as dirt, dust and sand. FrogLube does not film, nor is it a coating. Instead it is a treatment that is absorbed throughout the firearm. It is water insoluble and will repel water and resist corrosion

- See more at: FAQ | FrogLube

After a lot of research on FL I have some conclusions that appear to be more than valid.

Finding folks who have had issues with FL and colder weather is easy, no shortage of them. In every case I could find, they applied FL on a gun they had been using for sometime and used with other lubes. Reading thru FL data its clear that FL needs bare, raw, clean metal in order to properly work and it is not always happy with other lubes used prior or post FL application.

Take away: If you want FL to be your guns friends then it needs to be virgin metal. Best way to accomplish this at home is to use brake cleaner on your weapon and I would use it from butt to nose. FL will indeed soak into the metal. If OTFL (Other Than Frog Lube) is present it blocks the FL from getting into the pores of the metal, thus you need to DEEP CLEAN. I like brake cleaner as it does not leave a residue. I would say based upon experience you will need at least 2 cleanings with BC, if not 3 to completely strip it to the bare metal.

At this time apply the FL where you want it if not all over as it bonds to the metal. I would also do this on a warm gun. Take hair dryer and warm it up is all you need. It makes the pores of the metal open up.

Finally, if you use FL, then do NOT use or apply any other lube.

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Well, I'm planning on getting some in the next week or so. Can't find it in town. I used Hoppes for years with zero problems. Had a buddy who was the marketing director from Pennzoil. Never put it in a car I had, but the gun lube was good.

Oh Crap - ruining the thread!

Castrol vs. Pennzoil.

Now I feel better.
    Cabelas should have it - McBrides does for sure.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I just poured frog lube on my ice cream with chocolate chips
    It made mint choloclate chip
    Pretty good and once it hit the ice cream it firmed up and made a nice glaze

Then I rinsed the bowl out with Slick 50, put a few drops of Mobility One on the dishwasher hinges, and wiped the counter tops down with a good heavy coat of a very special, proprietary blend of Royal Purple, Amsoil and O'Reilly SAE 30

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Hyped up bs. I'd rather spend my money on ammo.
    I won't say that, I think its a great product, no I have not used it, but bought some after my research, I need to CLEAN my gun first.

I believe that properly used and applied its a top ranked product...the very best, not saying that, just one of the many that are great...

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I won't say that, I think its a great product, no I have not used it, but bought some after my research, I need to CLEAN my gun first.

I believe that properly used and applied its a top ranked product...the very best, not saying that, just one of the many that are great...

Yep it works - just mostly not for folks that don't read the instructions - me included the first time.
    Warm gun, brush on, let completely cool, wipe off every trace, done.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I just threw out two unopened tubs of FL paste and 1.5 bottles of liquid FL. Best thing about it? Didn't have to worry about environmental contamination, straight to the garbage can. LOL

Top Bottom