Gun Zone Deals

I'm hearing rumbles about folks selling their .22's?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The .22 LR shortage was easy to forecast. The ammo began to be spotty on the shelves, intervals of having stock became less often, then the ammo disappeared. We had 6-9 months notice. The signs that a shortage was coming were unmistakable!

I know folks who got ahead of the wave and bought cases of the stuff. A case is 10 bricks or 5000 rounds. Price on a case was $139-179 each.

Guys, WATCH the market and get ahead of the wave! You will have weeks to months of notice and it beats Hell out of whining about it later! Recognize the trend and take appropriate action BEFORE the shelves run dry!

Flash
    ARJ Defense ad

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    The .22 LR shortage was easy to forecast. The ammo began to be spotty on the shelves, intervals of having stock became less often, then the ammo disappeared. We had 6-9 months notice. The signs that a shortage was coming were unmistakable!

I know folks who got ahead of the wave and bought cases of the stuff. A case is 10 bricks or 5000 rounds. Price on a case was $139-179 each.

Guys, WATCH the market and get ahead of the wave! You will have weeks to months of notice and it beats Hell out of whining about it later! Recognize the trend and take appropriate action BEFORE the shelves run dry!

Flash

Exactly! I think you and I would get along. We think similarly.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis

Flash

I bought a case of 556 and 9mm before this madness. Didnt think of buying 22lr by the case...i can always just grab a box at Academy i said to myself.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    You can search this site or the entire interwebs if you want to. You won't find a single comment from me complaining about ammo prices or shortages. There's a reason for that.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    well, you didn't answer the location question which is fine but if you're anywhere near north texas i'd let you go after some hogs at my place. You'd have to leave the weed at home though lol.

lmao!

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I happened to be at walmart this morning when they were stocking up winchester 555 bulk packs. I bought 4 for just under $100. Now I get to shoot! I'm happy.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    What we are talking about is choosing to be PROACTIVE instead of REACTIVE. As the shortage wave approaches, it's easy to recognize it. You may either prepare or wait until it passes and say "What happened?" It's your choice and you decide how important shooting for yourself or with your family and friends really is.

Some may place shooting sports at a low priority and accept the consequences. Others may prepare and will continue with their training and fun shooting activities.

PLEASE..........if you didn't prepare, don't curse those who did. You made your decision.

Flash

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I wasn't that bad off last go round, but I did feel during that time like I should have been prepared a little better. I promised myself back in March that when/if things got better, I wasn't going to hesitate when I seen a good deal, and I mostly haven't.
    Since then I have gotten to a point of when it happens again, I feel I will be set for a long time.
    I'll even have things to sell just in case I need to raise cash instead of dipping into my main stash of guns, ammo and accessories if that need might occur in the future.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I haven't heard or seen folks selling their .22LR firearms.....but we have been getting more .22LR ammo lately (never enough) folks are still hoarding the 22 ammo.

Prices have risen some, but for most bricks we still sell them for $23.00 or less.. One thing that I don't like is Federal going to 40 round boxes/400 rd. bricks...and going up on their prices.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Where are you located? Have you taken the required Hunter Safety Course yet? If not you need to try to get that knocked out before you go in the woods. Or you could purchase a 1 year (once in a lifetime) deferral but you'll have to hunt that year with someone who has it. And when I say with I mean within talking distance, not just on the same lease. Game Wardens are really cracking down and writing tickets.
    The hunters safety course shit really pisses me off. Total fucking waste of time, if youre hunting on public land, sure, but on private that's BS. Whats the damn difference in hunting on private land and target shooting on private land? Absolutely nothing, are we going to have to take a shooters safety course now as well? Absolutely idiotic.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    The hunters safety course shit really pisses me off. Total $#@!ing waste of time, if youre hunting on public land, sure, but on private that's BS. Whats the damn difference in hunting on private land and target shooting on private land? Absolutely nothing, are we going to have to take a shooters safety course now as well? Absolutely idiotic.

I agree with you 100%.

I took my hunters safety course at the Grayson County courthouse in 1983. I was 12. I lost my card years before I even joined the Army in 1989. Spent years overseas, came back home, bought land (a lot of it) and a hunting license. My hunting license said right on it "Hunter Safety Course Required". I hunted for years without a problem until one of my buddies got caught without it and ticketed this season. I went online to the TPW website and applied for a replacement card and waited, and waited.

Yesterday I took the course again just to get that off my back. The instructor (Bob Douglas, same guy that did the course in 1983) told me I could have just called in and gave me the # to call for a replacement card. I told him about the online request process and how that didn't work for me.

Long story short it was a pain in the ass, took all of my day but it's done.

Now I guess I can kill something in season on my own land without looking over my shoulder for government approval.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Bahh speaking of which I might have to reorder my card as well, I think I lost the letter it came in (I really need to invest in a filing cabinet instead of having important paperwork strewn all about in various drawers around the house). Then again I took it at Academy so perhaps they will have records to confirm that I have taken the course.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Flash, can you describe how to recognize the shortage wave approaching?

Sure............Ill share.

The days when you can get your ammo from a shelf, pay and head to the range are over.....maybe forever. Keep your nose in the market, ask, investigate, verify. If you hear something, then start searching. In the east Houston area, Pasadena and Webster had .22LR but Baytown could not get any. Gradually, those stores went dry, too. This process took months and gave plenty of warning.

Get to know the key people. Stop and talk and ask questions. Be friendly and kind to them and they'll help you. It's not being phoney. I really like those folks and they appreciate a friendly face and courteous chat. They don't mind helping me.

That's it. There's nothing mysterious. Look, listen and ACT upon what you find.

Flash

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Flash, can you describe how to recognize the shortage wave approaching?

Sure............Ill share.

The days when you can get your ammo from a shelf, pay and head to the range are over.....maybe forever. Keep your nose in the market, ask, investigate, verify. If you hear something, then start searching. In the east Houston area, Pasadena and Webster had .22LR but Baytown could not get any. Gradually, those stores went dry, too. This process took months and gave plenty of warning.

Get to know the key people. Stop and talk and ask questions. Be friendly and kind to them and they'll help you. It's not being phoney. I really like those folks and they appreciate a friendly face and courteous chat. They don't mind helping me.

That's it. There's nothing mysterious. Look, listen and ACT upon what you find.

Flash

I agree with this to a level.

I would add watching election cycles into the mix. No one can predict a market (if you can PM me right now); but anyone can pay attention and plan accordingly.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I'm just going to go ahead and hijack this thread.

You know what else pisses me off? The legal requirement that any handgun I carry while hunting on my own property during bow season be concealed. And if I didn't have my CHL I wouldn't be allowed to carry a handgun at all during bow season on my own land.

I know my land. There are places on there where I will not go without at least a .45 on my hip because the hogs are large and in charge.

Any Game Warden who wants to stand in the middle of that with me and argue is welcome.

I'll be the well armed, not concealed guy.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I'm just going to go ahead and hijack this thread.

You know what else pisses me off? The legal requirement that any handgun I carry while hunting on my own property during bow season be concealed. And if I didn't have my CHL I wouldn't be allowed to carry a handgun at all during bow season on my own land.

I know my land. There are places on there where I will not go without at least a .45 on my hip because the hogs are large and in charge.

Any Game Warden who wants to stand in the middle of that with me and argue is welcome.

I'll be the well armed, not concealed guy.
    I did not know that at all. I don't bow hunt(yet) but Im regularly on my lease farting around with feeders and scouting during bow season. I ALWAYS have a handgun on me as we have hogs, bobcats and mountain lions. Not that Im really worried about any of them attacking me as every one Ive ever seen runs, but should any of them have young ones around that might change the game and I prefer to have 15+ rounds of protection on me. That's even more idiotic, if you've got a game animal in the bed of your truck with a bullet hole and its deer season, sure, but other than that, its idiotic. Free country my ass. Sorry, Im cranky this afternoon. Had a terrible day at the range, my shoulder is sore as hell from 50 rounds of 300WM and Cowboys blew a ridiculous lead in typical Cowboy fashion. Think Im going to take some pistols to the range next time and blow off some steam.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I agree with you 100%.

I took my hunters safety course at the Grayson County courthouse in 1983. I was 12. I lost my card years before I even joined the Army in 1989. Spent years overseas, came back home, bought land (a lot of it) and a hunting license. My hunting license said right on it "Hunter Safety Course Required". I hunted for years without a problem until one of my buddies got caught without it and ticketed this season. I went online to the TPW website and applied for a replacement card and waited, and waited.

Yesterday I took the course again just to get that off my back. The instructor (Bob Douglas, same guy that did the course in 1983) told me I could have just called in and gave me the # to call for a replacement card. I told him about the online request process and how that didn't work for me.

Long story short it was a pain in the ass, took all of my day but it's done.

Now I guess I can kill something in season on my own land without looking over my shoulder for government approval.

I took the course back in 2000 when I was 13. Lost the card years ago though. Do you have the number to call? I'd like to get a new one if possible without having to do the course again.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Might be a good time to sell off some 22lr ammo stock I have

Top Bottom