APOD Firearms

I'm hearing rumbles about folks selling their .22's?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    It has nothing to do with the ammo shortage but I'm going to be selling one of my .22 rifles (Remington 597) and a .22 pistol (Ruger SR22 pistol) soon. I don't shoot .22 that much anyway and have a few others for when I do.
    Lynx Defense

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Check out the public lands on TPW web site, some like it, some thinks it sucks. Just depends on what You want to hunt, how and how far You will go to do it.

from an non-recovering coffeeholic

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Flash, I can only comment from a local perspective regarding 22LR in the central Texas area. Pre-Sandy Hook, it was everywhere. A month after the shooting, home defense calibers were short, but 22 was still there. It seems when people could no longer by 9 mm, 45, 40, and everything else they wanted, they opted for 22.

Once word got out that 22 was becoming just a little tiny bit hard-to-find, everyone and their grandmother started grabbing it by January. And that's where we are still today, almost a year later.

There was no prediction to be made, at least not here.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Continuing with market observations.

Reloading components have been extremely scarce. Midway got in some Dogtown .224 55 grain HP slugs at $65/500. In fact, they're on sale for $6 off. If you checked your stock and had some on hand, would you buy some? Remember, all we've seen for months is "out of stock." Would you bust for some?

Flash

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I have aways wanted a BuckMark or a Ruger of some kind. Didn't read everything but I'm guessing that pistols should be somewhat cheap if there's no ammo to be had?

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    we have TONS of 22 LR at gander mountain sugar land. I've been selling hundreds of boxes and we still have lots left. Y'all not looking in the right place.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park

Reloading components have been extremely scarce. Midway got in some Dogtown .224 55 grain HP slugs at $65/500. In fact, they're on sale for $6 off. If you checked your stock and had some on hand, would you buy some? Remember, all we've seen for months is "out of stock." Would you bust for some?

Flash

SOB I just bought some of those Dogtowns last friday. Wish I could have used my powers of premonition to see that they would have gone on sale ><

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    we have TONS of 22 LR at gander mountain sugar land. I've been selling hundreds of boxes and we still have lots left. Y'all not looking in the right place.

Dang I was next door at HEB, should have dropped by. I have plenty , but could always use more. Try and get by today.

I've been getting 500-1000rds a wk, academy or Carter country(a bit higher priced but usually decent inventory.

sent from my phone far far away, still monitored by NSA

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm just going to go ahead and hijack this thread.

You know what else pisses me off? The legal requirement that any handgun I carry while hunting on my own property during bow season be concealed. And if I didn't have my CHL I wouldn't be allowed to carry a handgun at all during bow season on my own land.

I know my land. There are places on there where I will not go without at least a .45 on my hip because the hogs are large and in charge.

Any Game Warden who wants to stand in the middle of that with me and argue is welcome.

I'll be the well armed, not concealed guy.

Why would you need that on your own land, did I miss something somewhere?

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I was referring to the CHL. I carry on my place all the time and wouldnt question your need to be armed if you only had squirrels.

I was talking about carrying a handgun while hunting game animals during archery only season.

Law says you can't unless you have a CHL then it has to be concealed. It is completely retarded. I open carry any time I'm on the land and I don't care what I'm hunting or what season it is.

From the Texas Parks and Wildlife Handbook:

Only the archery and crossbow equipment prescribed in this section may be used for taking game animals or game birds. Archery and crossbow equipment may not be used to hunt deer during the Muzzleloader-Only Deer Season. It is unlawful to be in possession of a firearm while hunting with a broadhead hunting point during the archery-only season, except a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun in Texas may carry a concealed handgun. Note: A firearm may be possessed in camp, in a motor vehicle, or while hunting lawful game other than whitetail or mule deer and turkey (e.g., exotics, feral hogs, squirrels).

Last edited:

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I agree with this to a level.

I would add watching election cycles into the mix. No one can predict a market (if you can PM me right now); but anyone can pay attention and plan accordingly.

My wife shoots a 22 pistol in a couple lady's leagues and can go through 500 rounds a week when practicing and competing.

After weathering 2008 and seeing Romney as the republican nominee for president, I began buying as much 22LR, 9mm, 45ACP, 556 and 308 as I could afford.

I now watch for "deals" but am not desperate.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo

Reloading components have been extremely scarce

Flash

I'm over in southeast georgia right now, pretty small town. LGS is stocked with powders, I don't reload so dont know much but I did recognize 4895 and they had several one lb containers of it, stacks and stacks of primers as well.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I buy a lot of my ammo from Sportsman's Guide because they let you sign up for notifications when ammo comes in. I recently picked up 1000 rds of RWS .22LR for $95.00. Not the best deal in town at $.095/round but better than most. I just signed up for 5,000 rounds of Centurion for $270.00 which works out to $.054/rd.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    After i turned down the big buckets of 22lr at academy a month ago ive seen hardly any. I think its being hoarded again. Guy on TGTrader trying to trade his 2400 rounds for a $600 xbox.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    It is being hoarded. Walmart does regularly stock bricks in the morning around 7am and it will usually be gone by 8. If your really need some you just have to get there early and be ready to buy.

Top Bottom