Venture Surplus ad

I'm looking for good reasons to own a 1911, what are they?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    1911 has fought in every war since 1911. Dad was issued his in 1934, he gave to me in 1967, its a pass down gun. I still shoot it. That gun as seen 3 wars. Its NOT plastic! It is American's GUN! Carried by every branch of the military, most LEO, FBI, CIA you name it a gun with a history. And if you had to, you can use it as a hammer. Or if spent time in the Pacific like my dad he said almost nothing about his time there (from leaving the day after Pearl to coming back after the war was officially over) he say one time when he cleaning that 1911 and I asked if used it in the war? Dad said one time the crap had hit the fan hard and it turned into hand to gland and and he said he used that pistol, he was out of ammo and one came at him and he caught him up side the head and run his bell and did it till he did not get up anymore. I said wow, you beat him hard huh and dad said yea, beat him like a rented mule.

Your collection is not complete without one!
    Gun Zone Deals

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    Title pretty much sums it up. I'd just like to hear y'all's reasoning or justification for owning one.

I'll admit that I didn't read the entire thread, and I see that this post is over a year old. But I will offer this. Outside of a quality single action revolver, it is the lightest, crispest trigger you will ever experience. And for a semi auto pistol to have that light and crisp of a trigger is AWESOME! John Moses Browning design is still favored after more than 100 years for good reason.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    D6378942-3D96-4C3D-BCC2-5AC188710817.jpeg

Analog Kid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Rockwall, Texas
    It's a Remington so it's crappy enough to not care, but has a match barrel bushing and shoots lights out. I guess even Remington can make something that works occasionally. View attachment 243169
    Over the years Remington has produced millions of excellent firearms.. wasn't till the buy-outs and poor management of the last ten years they had problems... their 1911 is a nice piece of work.. own 2 , never a problem. Perhaps like a phoenix they will rise again... maybe.

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    I have owned two since 1987. A Springfield Armory and a Rock River Arms that I bought a couple years ago. Neither of these are high end guns. Both had a good feel and operation...but for some reason, I never could shoot them very accurately. I practiced and practiced, but just couldn't get a decent group. I have a Beretta 92SF I bought in 1999 with stock sights and that gun I can pick up and put them all in 9/10 ring at 10 yards practically without aiming. 1911's really do look cool though.

Analog Kid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Rockwall, Texas
    Personally, I have never handled another pistol that feels as perfectly balanced and comfortable as a quality 1911. J. Browning was inspired by the God of this universe it seems.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    it is the lightest, crispest trigger you will ever experience.
    My XP-100 and my Wichita pistols, both with sub-2 oz triggers, might change your mind.
    And for a semi auto pistol to have that light and crisp of a trigger is AWESOME!
    Except that the most precise users of 1911s, the bullseye crowd, generally favor roll triggers on their 1911s. Roll triggers are the opposite of crisp; they are nothing but creep. It's glass-smooth creep but creep nevertheless; the pistol fires somewhere along the way as the trigger travels rearward. According to every major player in that game, once you learn to shoot one, crisp triggers seem utterly wrong for any precise shooting.

IMO, between the perfect-for-the-task ergonomics and the ability to incorporate a good roll trigger, there's no better one-handed, big bore target pistol than the 1911.

Top Bottom