ARJ Defense ad

I'm pretty fed up with semi-autos. Which pump gun to buy for HD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    I dont have a ton of experience with shotguns. Perhaps im following the wrong youtubers?

How likely is an 870 ejector to fail? The 590 is easy to replace. Regarding safety position i suppose a big safety could improve the 870. Finally the safety would let me run a Mesa Tactical recoil reducing stock which does interest me.

Are 1100/1187s real reliable? They dont seem as popular as they once were.
    i have never had a 870 ejector to fail. Only issues i have had were due to swelled ammo. I have a old 1100 from the sixties. dont shoot it much, waas my dads. but never had any issues with it.just my .02 cents.
    Military Camp

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    1100s are good, think they have some problems with high brass loads though. Not sure if it would be ideal for an HD setup.

The 1187s are more forgiving with heavy loads IIRC. Different porting.

Not sure what effect an HD length barrel would have either. Here cutting them down can cause cycling problems.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Why are shotguns so hard to figure out whats good whereas rifles and pistols were easier?

I need to figure out price range and pump vs semi. It just seems that so many semi autos, within the same brand and model some say their individual gun cycles everything well and others choke.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I dont have a ton of experience with shotguns. Perhaps im following the wrong youtubers?

How likely is an 870 ejector to fail? The 590 is easy to replace. Regarding safety position i suppose a big safety could improve the 870. Finally the safety would let me run a Mesa Tactical recoil reducing stock which does interest me.

Are 1100/1187s real reliable? They dont seem as popular as they once were.

They're as reliable as shotguns get, for the most part.

870 extractor fail? Never heard of it happening, don't see how it could. Didn't seem like it would be too hard to swap out to me. Worst case scenario, a new bolt assembly isn't very expensive.

1100s are good, think they have some problems with high brass loads though. Not sure if it would be ideal for an HD setup.

The 1187s are more forgiving with heavy loads IIRC. Different porting.

Not sure what effect an HD length barrel would have either. Here cutting them down can cause cycling problems.

Remington does two barrel port designs on the 1100. The single port in "field" type barrels, and the "tactical" barrels with two ports. You probably don't want to run 3" mags in the dual port barrels very often, but they'll handle low brass a lot more reliably, even with shorter barrels.

That said, I'm a fan of the FN SLP. IMO, best shotgun for the money.

Why are shotguns so hard to figure out whats good whereas rifles and pistols were easier?

I need to figure out price range and pump vs semi. It just seems that so many semi autos, within the same brand and model some say their individual gun cycles everything well and others choke.

Because shotguns, as a weapon anyway, are a tremendously compromised and extremely craptastic system. Pure and simple, rifles are the better weapon, period.

If not for 3 gun, clays or hunting birds, I honestly can't see a damn thing a shotgun does half as well as a rifle can do it. Honestly, if I didn't partake in at least one of those activities, I probably wouldn't own a shotgun, and if I did it'd be something collectible like an old trench gun.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    M Sage, i just watched the nutnfancy review or the SLP. Hes a huge fan. Says he prefers it over Benelli even. I didnt realize they made different lengths?
    In reply to your reply...i was asking about the ejector, not extractor. The 870 you need to drill out it looks like whereas a 500/590 you can just unscrew and replace. If this isnt a high wear part or prone to breaking perhaps its a non issue.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    M Sage, i just watched the nutnfancy review or the SLP. Hes a huge fan. Says he prefers it over Benelli even. I didnt realize they made different lengths?
    In reply to your reply...i was asking about the ejector, not extractor. The 870 you need to drill out it looks like whereas a 500/590 you can just unscrew and replace. If this isnt a high wear part or prone to breaking perhaps its a non issue.

Never heard of it being an issue, either.

Yep, two different SLP shotguns - the SLP, which is the shorter, police-market version, and the SLP Mk I, which is the competition/3 gun version that I have.

They're soft-shooting and fast-cycling. The self-regulating gas system works pretty well on them. I've had zero issues with mine cycling wimpy low brass stuff as fast as I can get on target and pull the trigger. There is some aftermarket for them, and they're built on the same platform as the SX-2. I can't remember what Browning sells them as...

I almost bought a (cheaper) 590 the day I got my SLP, and I'm glad I didn't after seeing a bunch of 590s shit the bed at 3 gun shoots. No shotgun is immune from that - shotguns are honestly just not as reliable as handguns and rifles, and I think the plastic ammo plays a big part - but some are better than others.

DFTR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2013
    Fort Worth
    Actually I consider inside the home suitable for under 8 rounds of 12ga in a shotgun. I have had a Winchester 12ga pump for over 30 years and just recently picked up a Remington 31 12ga. Removing the dowel gives me 4+1 easy enough and I consider that fine. Being the first shot or two should do the job inside the house. Having been blessed to find that the mere sound of racking the action has ceased trouble enough that I've never had to fire.

I've never considered a semi. Not knocking anyone for their choices though.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Having been blessed to find that the mere sound of racking the action has ceased trouble enough that I've never had to fire.

The sound of bolts closing on an m4 cause people to open fire instead of run. Glad your technique has worked for you but i wouldnt recommend anyone to do such.

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    I would think that the sound of racking a shell would help them get. Maybe not. But i would rather try that and be ready to shoot if i had too. Dont want to have to but will if it becomes necessary. You dont have to give them warning. But you also have to live with what happens. My 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    Youd be better off yelling rape and blowing a rape whistle. Its about the same effectiveness as racking a shotgun.

Have you personally been in that situation. I am not sure if it would be effective.
    Just saying that i would rather see if it would work. Still ready to fire if need be. I would hate to shoot someone when i didn't have too. You gotta be able to live with yourself and your decisions afterward.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Have you personally been in that situation. I am not sure if it would be effective.
    Just saying that i would rather see if it would work. Still ready to fire if need be. I would hate to shoot someone when i didn't have too. You gotta be able to live with yourself and your decisions afterward.

Yes i have been in that situation many times. As a breachman the worst thing you could do is come up to the door and rack your shotgun. Even if we are placing explosives to breach, you dont want any noise giving off your position until after the first bang in which case it doesnt matter.

This would hold true for a citizen in their home. You dont know if the sound of that racking causes them to flee or causes them to regroup and wait for you to let your guard down and go back to sleep or go outside and check.

There are many other experiances i could give you that just presence of a firearm wasnt enough to cull a firefight.

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    Yes i have been in that situation many times. As a breachman the worst thing you could do is come up to the door and rack your shotgun. Even if we are placing explosives to breach, you dont want any noise giving off your position until after the first bang in which case it doesnt matter.

This would hold true for a citizen in their home. You dont know if the sound of that racking causes them to flee or causes them to regroup and wait for you to let your guard down and go back to sleep or go outside and check.

There are many other experiances i could give you that just presence of a firearm wasnt enough to cull a firefight.
    Completely understand the breaching situation and agree 100%.
    home defense is a another different situation. with if it was your child coming home when you didn't expect them. lots of scenarios that you wouldn't want to shoot. just my opinion. i don't wanna have to shot someone, but will i think if i was put in that situation. no one knows for sure until they are in it.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Completely understand the breaching situation and agree 100%.
    home defense is a another different situation. with if it was your child coming home when you didn't expect them. lots of scenarios that you wouldn't want to shoot. just my opinion. i don't wanna have to shot someone, but will i think if i was put in that situation. no one knows for sure until they are in it.

Thats what lights are for...and before anyone says it...you dont have to point a light directly at someone to identify them.

Top Bottom