Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    <>

Sheriffs are responsible to their LOCAL Citizens. They have authority, organization, communications, arms, & know their own jurisdictions.

<>

Sure, on any typical day.

What about in the SHTF situation, like is being discussed.

Are you saying it will be business as usual for them?
    Gun Zone Deals

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    In a SHTF situation, the only people you can trust are yourself and maybe family.

The last folks you can/should trust are the .gov. I don't care if they are Federal, State or at the Local level. These folks will take care of themselves first without thinking twice. You can hope for the best, but better be prepared for the worst...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    In a concentrated attack, a modern house will protect you about as much as a paper bag. Even a brick wall will crumble under sustained fire. Any wall without masonry? It'll offer concealment, but not good cover. A better strategy is to make it too costly for an organized group to attack your house.
    Even the toughest construction won't work if the group is motivated and willing to spend those resources. Decades ago, HPD dealt with insanely fortified houses used in Houston by mid-level drug dealers. They presented problems but none of them stood up to determined assault.

<I initially wrote then deleted a long, detailed history of those houses; it was too boring.>

No house is a defensible fortress. You just have to make it inconvenient, by construction, supply, vigilance, or isolation (preferably all four), and call it done.

Then live your life.

As an aside - Many things we worry about aren't reasonable. We're not going to be militarily invaded so immediate, terrible violence by large, determined groups isn't a worry on my radar. History shows us that, absent military action, collapsing countries/civilizations just, from the perspective of the citizenry, go to pot at a surprisingly rapid rate.

That dynamic is already in evidence here in the USA. I'm just not sure the cause is creeping societal collapse or merely the result of the collapse of trade globalization. In the former case, Houston (which I'm near) will be a hellscape; in the latter case, Houston will be the best big city in which to live in CONUS.

Which is another long discussion so I'm going to stop now. :)

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Even the toughest construction won't work if the group is motivated and willing to spend those resources. Decades ago, HPD dealt with insanely fortified houses used in Houston by mid-level drug dealers. They presented problems but none of them stood up to determined assault.

<I initially wrote then deleted a long, detailed history of those houses; it was too boring.>

No house is a defensible fortress. You just have to make it inconvenient, by construction, supply, vigilance, or isolation (preferably all four), and call it done.

Then live your life.

As an aside - Many things we worry about aren't reasonable. We're not going to be militarily invaded so immediate, terrible violence by large, determined groups isn't a worry on my radar. History shows us that, absent military action, collapsing countries/civilizations just, from the perspective of the citizenry, go to pot at a surprisingly rapid rate.

That dynamic is already in evidence here in the USA. I'm just not sure the cause is creeping societal collapse or just the result of the collapse of trade globalization. In the former case, Houston (which I'm near) will be a hell scape; in the latter case, Houston will be the best big city to live in CONUS.

Which is another long discussion so I'm going to stop now. :)

Antifa took over what, 6 city blocks? Large determined groups are absolutely out there, and they will not ever have to deal with the consequences of their actions

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Antifa took over what, 6 city blocks? Large determined groups are absolutely out there, and they will not ever have to deal with the consequences of their actions
    Nobody was shooting at Antifa in those 6 blocks. Times change. They'll have to deal all right, but not necessarily with the justice system.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    This.

In Houston, if a severe SHTF event happens, or TEOTWAWKI, the masses will bug-out for safety and greener pastures, thousands of cars hitting the roads at once, some of them LEOs, doctors, etc. to protect their families. And many of those who choose to remain will be those up to no good; looting, raping, pure mayhem. Finding weapons, ammo, etc. Prisons and jails may be a moot concept by then, depending on the situation. Some of these people have spent lifetimes inflicting harm on humans, spent their lifetimes without a single regard for human life, or human morals.

If one is going to stay put and potentially fight this, they better have more than a few soldiers in their group.
    Those living in Houston during Hurricane Harvey remember the cluster phuc on the roadways out of Houston. Most all of your major cities simply cannot clear people out without the roads becoming parking lots.

Very few city dwellers think about having gas cans filled to get them far enough away when the pumps are down. They have no cash reserve to get them away when things go to hell either. Those same people are the ones who might make it a week with the food they have on hand. Those same people are not armed or care to be. They will become victims if TSHTF.

The local TV propaganda pimps will spew out crap getting a good portion of their viewing audience too totally freak out.

I remember after Harvey going out & having my rd pickle up & the boards off most of the windows. The was nothing better to do. I seen the streets where flooded for the storm sewer drains being blocked.. That neighborhood had lots of seniors living in it, so I started clearing the town drains & chainsawing the big stuff blocking the roads. On guy came out to help me, but for the most part I had people asking me to clear their driveway so they could get out. That neighborhood was stupid with liberals. The Obama/Bidens sighs where still in most peoples yards even after the fact. Onestupid bitch came out and pretty much thought she could tell me what to do. She had a decent sized pine tree blocking her car. I told where the phuc do you think your going with power out every where? If you did find say the neighborhood Stop & Rob open who are you going to pay with no electricity to run credit cards or debit.
    I ended up telling her as a matter of principal because of her political choices that I would not help her. I cut trees out of the road with Steve until we were both dad morn out in the heat & humidity & I had no more oil to mix for the cain saw.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    What @baboon said. those that won't help themselves expect you to do for them.
    If need be, I would help some, and others can look out for themselves.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My nieces husband went to NOLA after Katrina. He was trained in water rescue & recovery as were many of the guys in the convoy to NOLA. Their convoy came under fire astray got into NOLA proper. He talked with guys from Blackwater in the encampment they were all in. The blackwater guys would fly around in little Bird copters drawing & returning fire before the rescue teams enter into that area.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Nobody was shooting at Antifa in those 6 blocks. Times change. They'll have to deal all right, but not necessarily with the justice system.
    Nah it was antifa doing the shooting there.

And there's more than a few other cases where antifa/blm caught some rounds, Kenosha and Kyle Rittenhouse, there was that air force dude in austin that pointed his AK at a guy in a car and got smoked.

Lots of antifa people went over and fought for the YPG as well.

EZR9vCtXkAUCJND.jpg

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    My nieces husband went to NOLA after Katrina. He was trained in water rescue & recovery as were many of the guys in the convoy to NOLA. Their convoy came under fire astray got into NOLA proper. He talked with guys from Blackwater in the encampment they were all in. The blackwater guys would fly around in little Bird copters drawing & returning fire before the rescue teams enter into that area.

A lot of that was suppressed or simply not reported in the news. A coworker at the time was in the OK National Guard and parts of his unit got sent to NOLA. He said guys he knew were attacked at the Superdome and had to be rescued. Not a peep of that on the news, aside from some initial reports that rescuers were being shot at and people inside the Superdome were being assaulted...then those accounts disappeared from the media.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    They took over city blocks because politicians ordered police not to stop them and they did not come under effective, continuous fire from residents. But you're also right; they've been dangerous in other situations such as you cite.

The gradation of circumstances in different times at different places is a conversation with infinite branches. It's an interesting intellectual exercise.

In practical terms, though, each of us draws our own line where we say "I've done enough to make myself feel safe enough for my peace of mind.". We draw that line, respect where others draw theirs, and get on with life.

I don't carry a reload for my EDC. I'm bloody well not going to waste the precious few hours I have left on this earth trying to fortify my home. I'm willing to make those statistically reasonable bets. After all, I took a much bigger risk with my life driving on the freeways for a couple of hours today.

I doubt I will seriously ponder this topic again until after my sister passes. Then, I'll probably relocate, either to downtown Houston or the middle of nowhere. I haven't decided which.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    They took over city blocks because politicians ordered police not to stop them and they did not come under effective, continuous fire from residents. But you're also right; they've been dangerous in other situations such as you cite.

The gradation of circumstances in different times at different places is a conversation with infinite branches. It's an interesting intellectual exercise.

In practical terms, though, each of us draws our own line where we say "I've done enough to make myself feel safe enough for my peace of mind.". We draw that line, respect where others draw theirs, and get on with life.

I don't carry a reload for my EDC. I'm bloody well not going to waste the precious few hours I have left on this earth trying to fortify my home. I'm willing to make those statistically reasonable bets. After all, I took a much bigger risk with my life driving on the freeways for a couple of hours today.

I doubt I will seriously ponder this topic again until after my sister passes. Then, I'll probably relocate, either to downtown Houston or the middle of nowhere. I haven't decided which.

Cities are all liberal strongholds, and the entire system is rigged against you, should you find yourself in a firey but mostly peaceful protest.

The continuous effective fire never will never come because, well, demographics. Chances are if you live in a major city, you've voted for at least a handful of democrats.

Cities are one bad news story away from turning into Mogadishu.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I was going to use this video to illustrate a point, but realized it made no sense.

However it's still a very interesting video worth a watch

Top Bottom