• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    I believe that a much larger percentage of children in the past learned a much better sense of consequence for their actions. That seems to have lessened since the "spare the rod" movement began.
    This started with the series of books people were writing on "How to raise your children"
    The underlying theme seemed to be they were your friends. Our kids are not our friends they are our children. We are responsible for teaching them all that we can about the ways of the world and becoming a part of it. So much has been lost as to how we parent. So much. It is now come to a head.
    Texas SOT

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I guess I misunderstood this to mean your guns should be locked up. but you later say you have them out so not really sure where you stand.

Well, I certainly hope that you don't have guns out if young people come over, surely you can see the sense in that.

There are laws about it.

Show me where I said guns should be locked in safes, I just stated that they should be put "up".
    I probably said that safes should be locked, though.
    You had made the comment that whenever you are home your safe is unlocked.

ETA: I probably have 5 guns out of my safe at all times.
    Even when the grandkids are over.
    But they are moved to higher ground until they leave.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I guess I misunderstood this to mean your guns should be locked up. but you later say you have them out so not really sure where you stand.
    Yes, there was a disconnect somewhere.

By "out" I meant lying around, as mine normally are, but they still are not in plain sight.

As I stated, when the grandkids come over, they are still out, but put higher up, and well out of their reach.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    I’ll be a little callous here. School shootings evoke an emotional response.

Anyone care that last year alone, 246 kids aged 16 and younger were shot in Chicago? Or that 38 of those died.

Or that this year, there’s been 68 kids shot and 8 killed in that same city.

I’m sorry, but I don’t see or hear the same outrage about that as I have seen for either Parkland, or Santa Fe.

What makes these two or three events more special?

Funding and organization by antigun groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adamant_Narwhal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2018
    Williamson County
    Just heard there was another school shooting. Two shot. It was a 7th grader. Brought two guns to school. What the hell is happening to this country??

Unstable kids + news sensationalizing violence, specifically fixating on school shootings. Think about it: the more kids killed, the more violent the attack, the more unexpected it is, the more the media laps it up. They preach the kids name for days, weeks, show his face, and tell the world of his exploits. To the twisted minds of these unstable killers, that is exactly what they want: attention.

It's why nearly every. Single. Law enforcement agency asks that the media NOT spend time on these shootings, that they NOT say the killers name or show their picture, NOT talk about them. But the media doesn't listen, because school shootings make great headlines, which in turn make the media money. And they like to blame gun laws and poor parenting, when they are essentially telling any potential killer watching that if they want Fame and attention, they just need to kill as many children as possible.

Unless schools are secured, or the media stops putting money first, this will keep happening.

Adamant_Narwhal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2018
    Williamson County
    I bet if they publicly executed a school shooter it might have some effect.

Although, then they are getting all the attention, so who knows.
    The attention is the problem. Nearly every law enforcement agency has told them not to do things like sensationalize the story, talk about it any more than absolutely necessary, show the shooters face, say his name, and overall ignore him. That's because in their twisted minds, the media is glorifying them, and they are now famous. How does a singer achieve fame? They have to be talented and look good, and hope people notice them so they can get a record contract or something. How does a killer get famous? Kill as many unarmed people as possible, the more innocent the better. If you kill enough people, you can out-do the other sick killers before you, it's almost a competition. Then the media does the rest.

C_Hallbert

Color Commentator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2017
    McAlester, OK
    I bet if they publicly executed a school shooter it might have some effect.

Although, then they are getting all the attention, so who knows.

I’ve said the same thing. Public Hangings with all the details and audio of all the malignant bastards’ last words. Then complete coverage right down to the zipper closing on the body bags.

These aren’t children......more like cancers in our society. They need to be permanently removed as early as possible......

Adamant_Narwhal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2018
    Williamson County
    I’ve said the same thing. Public Hangings with all the details and audio of all the malignant bastards’ last words. Then complete coverage right down to the zipper closing on the body bags.

These aren’t children......more like cancers in our society. They need to be permanently removed as early as possible......

I disagree, since the twisted people that commit these crimes don't think like normal people. They would see a public execution, especially the part about their last words, as their platform for fame and a legacy. These people aren't deterred by death or pain, they are however encouraged by ego and publicity.

I would suggest the opposite approach: only talk about the shooting on the day of, don't say anymore than is necessary or linger on the subject, don't say the shooters name, don't show his face, let him disappear as a nobody. These people are bullies, and bullies crave attention, doesn't matter that it's negative. It's why your mom may have told you as a kid to ignore the bullies, and they will go away. Let them die unknown, rotting in a dark cell or execution chair.

If you give them what they want, they won't stop.

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    "I bet if they publicly executed a school shooter it might have some effect."

Yes, SOME effect, but mostly not, and some people would see that as a challenge (to do it and NOT get caught/executed). I say that because since Day One (and through ancient/medieval times and further) the death penalty was for a WHOLE LOT of offenses, yet people kept committing them anyway. So I've come to see a death penalty (regardless of country) not as any deterrent really, but as a way to remove evildoers from society permanently, not imprisoning them indefinitely (and at taxpayer expense).
    In the "old days" (!) prisons were only for keeping people until sentence was carried out (execution, flogging -- whatever), not a place to live-out the rest of their lives. There was no thought given to rehabilitation (which doesn't work TODAY even, let alone yesterday). And given a death penalty, once such a criminal was caught, executing him/her (let's be "equal opportunity" here and "non gender biased") didn't allow for any "career criminals" as we have regularly today causing grief, harm and death to others as long as they live due to our sorry revolving-door "justice" system.
    Our forefathers had the right idea re: Criminal Justice -- it was swift and definitely no-nonsense. If it deters, that's fine, but if it doesn't bad people are removed so no further problems with them again after that (and no need for building more and more prisons). ;-)
    -- BR

Last edited:

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Our forefathers had the right idea re: Criminal Justice -- it was swift and definitely no-nonsense. If it deters, that's fine, but if it doesn't bad people are removed so no further problems with them again after that (and no need for building more and more prisons)
    I am on board with that.

Top Bottom