• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cssmith56

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    OK so this is a few questions in one but considering the rifles I'm looking at are rimfires (.22LR) of one sort or another I figure this is the best forum. Also, I just got (more seriously) into firearms this past year as I did not grow up around them so forgive my ignorance on some areas :)

Objective: an inexpensive (<$250) rifle to keep permanently in my SUV for use in a survival/emergency/SHTF situation where I am unable to get home and access the firearms in my safe. I expect I would have my conceal carry pistol on me at any given time so this rifle need not be for self defense necessarily... more for small/medium game hunting. I would also need to keep a small cache of ammo in the vehicle to go with it.

First off: is this even possible to do without damaging/ruining the rifle or ammunition? What would I need to do to ensure heat/humidity do not render them useless? How would I store the rifle/ammo?

Second: any thoughts/experience with the Rossi matched pairs... the ones that come with both a .22 and shotgun barrel (either .410 or 20ga)?

Thanks!
    Hurley's Gold

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just about any mainstream rim fire would fit the bill.

Maybe a marlin or Remington in stainless to help with any rust problems. Should be a little cheaper than a 10/22.

Might consider mag fed so you could keep a couple loaded mags ready to go.

I didn't look at your location, but if you're no on the coast rusting probably won't be a big problem. Just pull it out every now and then and wipe it down with an oiled cloth.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The Rossi will rust.

I have a Rossi Trifecta and my kids have all but destroyed every piece of plastic on it. I don't think it could handle being thrown behind a seat and left to bounce around.

Get a stainless Ruger 10/22 and some Ruger mags for it. Good to go without any special treatment.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The rossi matched pars are nice guns for the money, and accurate enough. I think it is Henry that still makes one that the action ammo and barrel fit in the stock with a water tight cap and it floats. I used to have pistol version in the 80s. Very accurate pistol.

And it is 22lr
    from a non-recovering coffeeholic

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The rossi matched pars are nice guns for the money, and accurate enough. I think it is Henry that still makes one that the action ammo and barrel fit in the stock with a water tight cap and it floats. I used to have pistol version in the 80s. Very accurate pistol.

And it is 22lr
    from a non-recovering coffeeholic

Survival rifle but I don't think it is a Henry anymore. But it is still made by somebody.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Wilderness or urban survival? For a wilderness gun I think I would take a look at the chiappa m6. It's their version of the old springfield M-6 air crew survival gun. One of the things I like about the Chiappa is that it comes in 22 and 20 instead of the 410 in the springfield. Chiappa also has a 12 gauge version that comes with inserts allowing you to use something like 10 different calibers out of the gun. Urban is a whole different deal and I might look at a pistol carbine if there is a good one that matches your carry pistol mags. Now you may also just want a truck gun and not specifically a "survival" rifle. In that case my thoughts go to a 22 lever for reliability and the ability to feed and shoot any ammo. I know that with my 22 autos they can be picky some times and if the ammo isn't fresh enough it can cause some issues and with a lever action you just cycle the action and go to the next round. Either way ammo is a non issue. While their are many storage options jeven a ziplock bag with some desiccant or even just rice will do just fine for years in the most humid environments. Just rotate the ammo every once in a while just in case and I wouldn't worry.

cssmith56

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    I live in San Antonio so it would be more for the hill country (wilderness?). I like the idea of having an option between 22lr and a shotgun round for bird hunting... Or even using slugs/buckshot for deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    another vote for a stainless Ruger 10/22, either a take-down model or one of the new Talo models with the ATI folding/collapsible stocks
    rug_11113lg.jpg

I have both, and the take down comes with a nice case with plenty of storage for ammo and the case doubles as a shooting rest.

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    I've heard of several issues with the newer AR-7s not feeding properly, but I've never had any problems with my old Charter Arms AR-7. 25 round magazines are almost impossible to find, but they do have storage for an extra 7 round magazine. I have an old Ramline 25 round and a couple of 7 round magazines, so it works for me.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Stainless Ruger 10/22 Takedown gets my vote. Mine has replaced the Marlin model 60 I used to carry in my truck. I keep it, one 10rd mag and 2 BX25 mags, and 500 rounds of ammo under the rear seat.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Stainless Ruger 10/22 Takedown gets my vote. Mine has replaced the Marlin model 60 I used to carry in my truck. I keep it, one 10rd mag and 2 BX25 mags, and 500 rounds of ammo under the rear seat.

or, known in New York as "A large cache of weapons and ammunition"

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    What are those pump 22s? If I had one it would be sitting under my back seat with some remoil, steel wool, and 200 rounds. Just try and shoot it once a month to keep it fresh and use the remoil and steel wool to keep it pretty.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom