Target Sports

Is flashing the highbeams to warn other driver Illegal in Texas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Forty years ago when Woodway, TX was just barely a wide spon on Hwy. 84 West of Waco they had only one city officer. He would regularly park his car just off the sholder and go have coffee at the little gas station/convenience store right there on the highway. People that didn't know this would come over the hill, see his car and start slowing down real fast. This was a hoot to watch. As teenagers we never slowed down 'cause we knew what was happening...................except every now and then he would be in it. He was a good guy but he only gave a little slack and knew us for what we were...........idiot teenage boys!
    Guns International

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    At 8:45am every Tuesday for the last 12 months or so, my colleagues gather in the cube with a window here on the 26th floor so we can watch TxDPS on the feeder road of I-10.
    At this spot the access road is 4 lanes wide in the westbound direction, flat, newish concrete and the speed limit drops from 55mph to 45mph. The land is rural on that side with no improved entrances or exits. It's a drag strip.

The troopers park both cruisers on a certain gravel driveway behind a thicket or windscreen of trees, hop out on foot, then proceed to laser cars then step out into the right lane and wave speeders over two at a time onto a second driveway.
    I'm told by some who've been stopped that they are instructed to pull far enough off the road that other motorists can't see them.

They're there every Tues like clockwork for about 2-3 hours. They always hide their cruisers and they always stay in the trees before they just step out 400-500 feet in front of cars doing 50-70 mph. It's the ballsiest thing I've seen. I keep praying no one accelerates instead of pulling over!

That said, I think it TOTALLY qualifies as a speed trap. I'm not saying they're unfairly entrapping motorists, but it's shooting fish in a barrel and it's obvious that they return on that schedule and operate in that furtive manner because they're so successful at it.
    They do it cause it works and so many people fall for it due to their own freewill of a lead foot.
    This is from wikipedia but you get the idea.
    Entrapment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    In criminal law, entrapment is conduct by a law enforcement agent inducing a person to commit an offense that the person would otherwise have been unlikely to commit.[SUP][1][/SUP] In many jurisdictions, entrapment is a possible defense against criminal liability. However, there is no entrapment where a person is ready and willing to break the law and the government agents merely provide what appears to be a favorable opportunity for the person to commit the crime.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    At 8:45am every Tuesday for the last 12 months or so, my colleagues gather in the cube with a window here on the 26th floor so we can watch TxDPS on the feeder road of I-10.
    At this spot the access road is 4 lanes wide in the westbound direction, flat, newish concrete and the speed limit drops from 55mph to 45mph. The land is rural on that side with no improved entrances or exits. It's a drag strip.

The troopers park both cruisers on a certain gravel driveway behind a thicket or windscreen of trees, hop out on foot, then proceed to laser cars then step out into the right lane and wave speeders over two at a time onto a second driveway.
    I'm told by some who've been stopped that they are instructed to pull far enough off the road that other motorists can't see them.

They're there every Tues like clockwork for about 2-3 hours. They always hide their cruisers and they always stay in the trees before they just step out 400-500 feet in front of cars doing 50-70 mph. It's the ballsiest thing I've seen. I keep praying no one accelerates instead of pulling over!

That said, I think it TOTALLY qualifies as a speed trap. I'm not saying they're unfairly entrapping motorists, but it's shooting fish in a barrel and it's obvious that they return on that schedule and operate in that furtive manner because they're so successful at it.

It's all Tapatalk or the iPhone's fault.

And I'm willing to bet they catch some of the same idiots every Tuesday. It's the same anywhere that it's a "drag strip", you could bankroll a small town on the tickets you could write every day.

Just sayin...

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    I flash my lights all the time to on coming traffic to alert them to any hazard that I may have just passed such as slow moving tractor in their lane, bicyclist, animals, etc...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I flash my lights all the time to on coming traffic to alert them to any hazard that I may have just passed such as slow moving tractor in their lane, bicyclist, animals, etc...

Deer. That's where I learned to do it. Someone flashes high beams at me and I'm slowing down assuming that there's some hazard on the road.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    FWIW, high beams flashed from behind means you need to quit hogging the passing lane.

Also, if a motorcyclist pats his head as he goes by, he's telling you about a speed trap.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    FWIW, high beams flashed from behind means you need to quit hogging the passing lane.
    The other day I was behind a truck hauling a pathetic excuse for a boat on a 2 lane when the limit changed from 45 to 55 but he didn't accelerate. As I passed and got beside him, then he accelerated. Ha, screw that.

I love it when I have to get in the slow lane to pass another vehicle running in the fast lane. When I change back to the passing lane they often flash lights as if it's really going to affect me. If you want (need) to control traffic, do the time and get a badge. They'll even let you drive a new(ish) car with blinking lights on top ;-)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The other day I was behind a truck hauling a pathetic excuse for a boat on a 2 lane when the limit changed from 45 to 55 but he didn't accelerate. As I passed and got beside him, then he accelerated. Ha, screw that.

I love it when I have to get in the slow lane to pass another vehicle running in the fast lane. When I change back to the passing lane they often flash lights as if it's really going to affect me. If you want (need) to control traffic, do the time and get a badge. They'll even let you drive a new(ish) car with blinking lights on top ;-)

+1!!

Top Bottom