• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    dont you know schools are a gun free zone so its impossible to enter and take out the bad guy.

Now don't ask how a bad guy can get by a sign its beyond comprehension that someone willing to kill everyone he sees would ignore a sign.
    Gun Zone Deals

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The simple answer for me is if I have the shot to end a situation like that I will definetly do my best. If I were inside most schools I would not likely be armed though.

If I were outside I probably would be armed.

That's why I ask about entering a school with a carry gun in that type of situation. There isn't an officer inside. Or maybe that one is a coward and hiding

Better keep that gun out of sight unless you are actively engaging the shooter. And be on 911 telling them you are a good samaritan with a description of your clothing. You may not know how many armed security officers are on the premises. One hiding might not be the only one on campus.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    dont you know schools are a gun free zone so its impossible to enter and take out the bad guy.

Now don't ask how a bad guy can get by a sign its beyond comprehension that someone willing to kill everyone he sees would ignore a sign.
    When I was I high school there weren't any signs and it was common for students to have rifles and shotguns in their cars/trucks. It was against policy, but it happened anyway. This was a large high school Tom C. Clark off of Dezavala in San Antonio in the early 2000's post Columbine.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Better keep that gun out of sight unless you are actively engaging the shooter. And be on 911 telling them you are a good samaritan with a description of your clothing. You may not know how many armed security officers are on the premises. One hiding might not be the only one on campus.
    We had 4 SAPD officers assigned to my high school. I thought all schools had armed officers assigned to them.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    We had 4 SAPD officers assigned to my high school. I thought all schools had armed officers assigned to them.

Not sure how long it has been since you were in high school, but the larger Independent School Districts in San Antonio have their own police force. Here is the website for Northside's...

https://nisd.net/police

Not sure if the smaller districts have them, and if not, if the SAPD actually assigns an officer to their campuses or they simply patrol them.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    A passer by may not know what is going on inside, if they do figure it out, it would be a hard call. You wouldn't know the situation and you certainly don't want to run inside armed if the police have engaged the shooter or you may be thought of as another shooter. Also, I'm not sure what the laws are in Florida, but many states have like a "No guns within 1000 feet" law, so you may not be close enough to figure out there is an active shooter.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The 1990 Gun-Free School Zones Act (GFSZA, 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(25)) does not apply to the possession of a firearm (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license.

The Texas Penal Code §46.03 states: a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, location-restricted knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a): (1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless: (B) the person possesses or goes with a concealed handgun that the person is licensed to carry under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and no other weapon to which this section applies, on the premises of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education, on any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by the institution is being conducted, or in a passenger transportation vehicle of the institution.

"Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Not sure how long it has been since you were in high school, but the larger Independent School Districts in San Antonio have their own police force. Here is the website for Northside's...

https://nisd.net/police

Not sure if the smaller districts have them, and if not, if the SAPD actually assigns an officer to their campuses or they simply patrol them.
    That was my school district. I remember having two SAPD officers for sure. I didn't see them on a daily basis, but at least weekly throughout my 4 years there. The other 2 now that I think of it were NISD police that I would see daily between classes. All of them were armed though.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    How much trouble would a CHL holder get in to entering a school building to confront a shooter?

ETA: Legal trouble, not including possibly being mistaken for the actual shooter.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I would think it would be up to the court to determine the circumstances, as far as I know there is no exception to the law.

Top Bottom