• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    OK, quick question. Wasn't it pointed out earlier in the thread that DPS official policy is to -not- use guns or stop-sticks to try and stop a motorcycle specifically because there's a pretty good chance of the rider getting hurt/killed? If true, then the officer in question should damn well face some punishment beyond a few days' suspension.

I imagine the speed of the motorcycle when the shots were fired was taken into consideration. If you watch the video they are coming to a stop for the left hand turn. That's when the Trooper fired. The danger is the rider falling of the bike at speed with no protection. It's possible the Trooper used the opportunity of the slow/no speed manuever of the left hand turn to try to disable the bike via flat tire (or even lucky engine/transmission shots) before he could get up to speeds again.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    True, but that's not what I asked. Regardless of why, my question was whether or not he went against official policy. From what I've read, he did.

Yup.
    eta.. eeerr wait.

Need to double check that, shooting at motorcycles. I recall motorcycles fitting the definition of a vehicle in the context of the felony fleeing statute. In such case, the motorcycle(now a vehicle for the purposes) can be shot at. (this also applies to watercraft)

But like I said, that needs doublechecking.

Last edited:

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I agree with you mostly. Except, we still have to confront questionable behavior by authority figures. Failure to keep things in check by the public leads to no where good and will do less to fulfill the last part of your post - learning from it.
    I agree. I'm not marching for shit tho. I don't feel like taking any stands here.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Which one was the danger to society in this instance? Its this sort of thing that has caused me to move away from giving officers the "benefit of the doubt."
    Both.

If there's a fight with 2 participants, both participants are fighting and both are guilty.

Who started it was the cyclist. The cyclist was the criminal.

The policeman made a few bad decisions- 1 bad decision for each shot fired, and maybe one for the kick. That being said the LEO shouldn't be punished to the same measure as the runaway criminal. If the LEO damaged property from another third party (didn't happen or wasn't listed) then he should be disciplined for those damages also. No one was harmed except for the criminal.

No one should get the benefit of the doubt. They're both wrong. The officer wasn't as wrong as the criminal, but he should be held responsible for each stray shot fired to the property owners in that area.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Mike1234567 said:
    Looks like an awful lot of houses to me...

<snip> Mike, you're throwing poop at the wall. If you can see those houses then you are intentionally ignoring the fact they are not in the direction of discharge. Houses are in the area of (the firing line side), not in the direction of downrange.

That's completely untrue. There are houses well within handgun range in every direction.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Most of us here are supporters of laws and law enforcement. I definitely am, but .................. officers are human and they can make mistakes in judgement, etc., just like the rest of us. In this situation, I think the officer over-reacted and didn't use good judgement whether from excitement, adrenalin, inexperience, etc. Yes the biker was breaking several laws and he needed to be stopped, but shooting at him or his motorcycle was very poor judgement. Bullets can go a long way depending on their trajectory, velocity, etc. Does he (the officer) need to be fined, jailed, fired, etc., I don't think so. He's probably already been talked to by his superiors. Situations like this need to be learning experiences. I hope the officer has found some alternate ways to handle this similar situations in the future and hope the guy on the motorcycle has also (especially when he gets out of jail, etc.) These are just my opinions, the are not codified in law, overseen by city councils, etc., etc.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Both.

If there's a fight with 2 participants, both participants are fighting and both are guilty.

Who started it was the cyclist. The cyclist was the criminal.

The policeman made a few bad decisions- 1 bad decision for each shot fired, and maybe one for the kick. That being said the LEO shouldn't be punished to the same measure as the runaway criminal. If the LEO damaged property from another third party (didn't happen or wasn't listed) then he should be disciplined for those damages also. No one was harmed except for the criminal.

No one should get the benefit of the doubt. They're both wrong. The officer wasn't as wrong as the criminal, but he should be held responsible for each stray shot fired to the property owners in that area.
    Agreed, although I disagree strongly with shooting at a moving motorcycle, absent that suspect meeting the same requirements as being able to shoot at him on foot. Its effectively the same thing.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Moral of the story: Warehouse property owners and night security guards don't matter when the LEO's start shooting. No one cares if they get bullet holes in their buildings or in their bodies.....just as long as someone gets to do a double-suplex kick at the end....

Point well taken.

I am passingly familiar with the area, having a subcontractor who has a shop further down S Post Oak. I'm pretty sure those are not "warehouses" as stated, and are not necessarily unpopulated at any hour.

IIRC, they are shops, and storefronts for small businesses that need shop space, and like many small businesses they are liable to be populated at all hours by owners and workers burning the midnight oil.

Might not be a "residential area" but an assumption that you could safely discharge a firearm in that direction would arguably not be a wise one.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    That's completely untrue. There are houses well within handgun range in every direction.
    Is the area completely absent of houses in a 360* radius? No.

The Trooper didn't discharge in every direction, he discharged to the east while at the intersection of S Post Oak and Brookston. I've yet to hear information regarding the damages, if you've heard something different I'm all ears.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Is the area completely absent of houses in a 360* radius? No.

The Trooper didn't discharge in every direction, he discharged to the east while at the intersection of S Post Oak and Brookston. I've yet to hear information regarding the damages, if you've heard something different I'm all ears.

You didn't look at google maps and if you did you didn't zoom out.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Semantics.
    The officer used excessive force.
    Running a stop sign is not a capital offense.

The cyclist's prior record is not at issue here.
    The punishment should fit the crime.
    Shot in the leg and kicked to the curb is for domestic violence offenders.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Semantics.
    The officer used excessive force.
    Running a stop sign is not a capital offense.

The cyclist's prior record is not at issue here.
    The punishment should fit the crime.
    Shot in the leg and kicked to the curb is for domestic violence offenders.

He didn't get shot because he ran a red light. He got shot because he led the Police on a 130 mph chase while disregarding traffic laws. If not stopped he would eventually cause a collision with a good chance of seriously injuring or killing an innocent party.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Again, they had the guy's license number and could have arrested him at his home. There was no need to continue a dangerous high-speed pursuit. The trooper was just as stupid as the cyclist if not more so.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    D54G
    Top Bottom