• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    thath what I figured, ahh well. Like usual, it will be something that comes around when I aint looking for it. I am not in any hurry, that is the good thing
    having owned many of them for over 40 years there are not money pits at all. In fact some of the very best, lowest maint autos I have every owned. Can it become a money pit? YOU BETCHA! Not because it NEEDS to be fixed or repaired but rather you find yourself adding this and that and trust me, there is no shortage of stuff to buy for YOUR Jeep, LOL and not top limit on how much you can spent. Six figure Jeeps are not rare. I owned a off road shop for several years doing a $20k build out is on the low side for many builds.

A stock Jeep (Rubicon) will out perfrom all but the very most advanced drivers, just like few folks can drive to the parameters of a box stock Z06 Corvette. That stock Rubicon be it a TJ or a JK, with a good set of real off road tires will tackle and beat 95% of the trails available in the US.

If its a money pit, it is your choice...

My '03 Rubicon had two warranty calls in 7 years and 100,000 plus miles of driving: Left rear axle shaft and windshield mirror had to be replaced.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    having owned many of them for over 40 years there are not money pits at all. In fact some of the very best, lowest maint autos I have every owned. Can it become a money pit? YOU BETCHA! Not because it NEEDS to be fixed or repaired but rather you find yourself adding this and that and trust me, there is no shortage of stuff to buy for YOUR Jeep, LOL and not top limit on how much you can spent. Six figure Jeeps are not rare. I owned a off road shop for several years doing a $20k build out is on the low side for many builds.

A stock Jeep (Rubicon) will out perfrom all but the very most advanced drivers, just like few folks can drive to the parameters of a box stock Z06 Corvette. That stock Rubicon be it a TJ or a JK, with a good set of real off road tires will tackle and beat 95% of the trails available in the US.

My '03 Rubicon had two warranty calls in 7 years and 100,000 plus miles of driving: Left rear axle shaft and windshield mirror had to be replaced.

+100000000000

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

CJ7nvrstk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Prosper, TX

I have to disagree with you OC.

Just
    Empty
    Every
    Pocket

up until the latest models there were count many weak parts on stock Jeeps that if that Jeep was actually wheeled you could count on numerous broken parts. As a previous owner of a shop you should know that. Here are just some of the weak areas.

D30 rear axle
    D35 rear axle
    AMC 20 rear end
    SR4 tranny
    T4 tranny
    T5 tranny
    T150 behind a V8
    T14
    multiple YJ trannys

The new JKs are a huge improvement and are by far the most solid an capable Jeeps ever. Many drivers never do actually learn what their vehicles are capable of.

Scouts Out!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    ...up until the latest models there were count many weak parts on stock Jeeps that if that Jeep was actually wheeled you could count on numerous broken parts....

The new JKs are a huge improvement and are by far the most solid an capable Jeeps ever...

Bullshit.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I have to disagree with you OC.

Just
    Empty
    Every
    Pocket

up until the latest models there were count many weak parts on stock Jeeps that if that Jeep was actually wheeled you could count on numerous broken parts. As a previous owner of a shop you should know that. Here are just some of the weak areas.

D30 rear axle
    D35 rear axle
    AMC 20 rear end
    SR4 tranny
    T4 tranny
    T5 tranny
    T150 behind a V8
    T14
    multiple YJ trannys

The new JKs are a huge improvement and are by far the most solid an capable Jeeps ever. Many drivers never do actually learn what their vehicles are capable of.

Scouts Out!
    Sorry, I have wheeled them and the biggest weak link is the right foot. I know some 'soft shoe' wheelers that have been running 35's on a D35 axle for years and never broke anything. No they are not running the 5 rated trails in fact not even the 3's and when they do, they take every bypass...fine, that is their choice and its ok by me, by the same token I have seen guys explode Rockwells.

Yes I owned a shop and I had plenty of customers they were far more concerned with body damage than driveline damage. Many of those that had issues simply exceeded the parameters of their Jeep. Putting 37's on almost any axle set from the factory is pushing it and I have seen it many times. Then the other achilles heel is preventive maintenance (PM). Want failure then just don't pull PM on your rig and it will come knocking at your door.

Like I said its your choice.

CJ7nvrstk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Prosper, TX
    Sorry, I have wheeled them and the biggest weak link is the right foot. I know some 'soft shoe' wheelers that have been running 35's on a D35 axle for years and never broke anything. No they are not running the 5 rated trails in fact not even the 3's and when they do, they take every bypass...fine, that is their choice and its ok by me, by the same token I have seen guys explode Rockwells.

Yes I owned a shop and I had plenty of customers they were far more concerned with body damage than driveline damage. Many of those that had issues simply exceeded the parameters of their Jeep. Putting 37's on almost any axle set from the factory is pushing it and I have seen it many times. Then the other achilles heel is preventive maintenance (PM). Want failure then just don't pull PM on your rig and it will come knocking at your door.

Like I said its your choice.

sure you can have a mall crawler and have things last but if you want to limit yourself to the hardball and drive with an egg under your foot that's your call. Stay on thebunny trails and take the bypasses. Have fun. Ill use mine for what they are for. Seen too many broken 20s and 35s, not to mention the crappy trannys. Just make sure those guys on the 35" on a 35 have a tow truck number in their phone for when it breaks.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    JK's are a step backwards.

Yea, well apparently our new expert on Jeeps seems to be trying to convince everyone that they are the most capable Wrangler ever built!
    jack.gif

Like I said, bullshit. The minivan engine was a huge step backward over the bulletproof 4.0L I6 that was in the TJ/LJ. Jeep succumbed to making it more car-like, and they aren't nearly as tough as previous Wranglers.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I'd never buy a jk. Step backward is a good summary IMO. Best factory Heep IMO is the LJ Rubicon. Of course you can build a great buggy. I figured id join the pissing match.

CJ7nvrstk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Prosper, TX
    Yea, well apparently our new expert on Jeeps seems to be trying to convince everyone that they are the most capable Wrangler ever built!
    jack.gif

Like I said, bullshit. The minivan engine was a huge step backward over the bulletproof 4.0L I6 that was in the TJ/LJ. Jeep succumbed to making it more car-like, and they aren't nearly as tough as previous Wranglers.

Ya, and the turdy 5 is a great rear end. Keep fooling yourself. If you think you can hang, come to Hidden Falls Adventure park oct 17-20 and try to keep up.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kennethreyes
    Top Bottom