• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Many of us Gulf Coast, CSA, NRA, Texas types view Britain the same as California: "What stupidity are they going to pull next and then ask us to bail them out?"

Nothing personal, JayZed, tu connais.

My late Dad was assigned to British Military "Counter Intelligence" for 10 months in wartime London, and saw some astounding stuff, like the Government asking the US, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, etc. to send civilian weapons to help repel the anticipated NAZI invasion; then destroying those same weapons.

leVieux

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Many of us Gulf Coast, CSA, NRA, Texas types view Britain the same as California: "What stupidity are they going to pull next and then ask us to bail them out?"

My late Dad was assigned to British Military "Counter Intelligence" for 10 months in wartime London, and saw some astounding stuff, like the Government asking the US, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, etc. to send civilian weapons to help repel the anticipated NAZI invasion; then destroying those same weapons.

BTW, JayZed, we welcome you here and enjoy the exchanges, but please realize that much of what you "know" about our history is not true. Probably, that may apply to us and your history, too.

leVieux

JayZed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2019
    UK
    Welcome to Texas JayZed! To the forum and Texas! Mike Potts (also from England) is a close friend!

Bonjour

leVieux

JayZed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2019
    UK

BTW, JayZed, we welcome you here and enjoy the exchanges, but please realize that much of what you "know" about our history is not true. Probably, that may apply to us and your history, too.

leVieux

Bonjour LeVieux
    You must be very proud of your Dad. They all endured so much. My farther was a paratrooper in the Polish army and got to England in the evacuation of Poland continuing to serve in the Polish army. I still have his officers uniform medals and sandbrowns. My wife's farther was a navigator in Lancaster bombers and we still have his mission flight logbook. only about 20 of his squadron of over sixty survived. I can't imagine the fear of taking off each time or jumping from a plane. Mind you your lot throughout Vietnam went through hell and back. We owe so much to so many. We also have an amazing eye whitness short book account written by her uncle from the war in Gallipoli..at Sulva Bay.He was only about 20 or so and a remarkable wordsmith.

JayZed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2019
    UK
    This thread is severely lacking in Martini-Henry 577-450ness.

LOL...superceed by the 303 which we used to shoot at high school in the CCF where we supposedly learnt how to be soldiers sailors and airmen!!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    LOL...superceed by the 303 which we used to shoot at high school in the CCF where we supposedly learnt how to be soldiers sailors and airmen!!

Airman you say?

Reading the book Bugles and a Tiger by J. Masters.

He is recounting his time at Sandhurst mid-1930’s.

page 43:

“ I learned that hyperbole was the normal coin of R.M.C. speech. Two grains of Sandhurst’s ubiquitous sand under the leaf of the backsight of my rifle caused me to be charged with having ‘a disgustingly filthy rifle’ on parade. I used to think a dirty soldier was a fellow with a stubbly chin, dirty fingernails, a cigarette hanging from his lip, and a generally raffish air of uncleanliness. I learned that I was wrong; the phrase meant a junior with a bit of fluff on his otherwise impeccable tunic. The other fellow, the one I had envisaged, was not a soldier at all. He was a member of the Royal Air Force or the criminal classes-the two terms were all but synonymous.”

Last edited:

JayZed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2019
    UK
    We all had to choose between either occasionally shooting a 303, getting wet in an old canoe or dragging a glider across the football pitches to see if it could get four foot off the ground!! the book sounds interesting. A close friend of mine went to Sandhurst from school and flew Harrier jets in the Faulkands war and ended up being the RAF attache in South Africa...all very formal!!

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    Welcome to the forum. Thanks for signing up and showing a genuine interest in exploring how another "culture" (Thats probably the wrong word) views firearms and their role in society. I am really interested to hear your views as well!

Noggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2016
    Airman you say?

Reading the book Bugles and a Tiger by J. Masters.

He is recounting his time at Sandhurst mid-1930’s.

page 43:

“ I learned that hyperbole was the normal coin of R.M.C. speech. Two grains of Sandhurst’s ubiquitous sand under the leaf of the backsight of my rifle caused me to be charged with having ‘a disgustingly filthy rifle’ on parade. I used to think a dirty soldier was a fellow with a stubbly chin, dirty fingernails, a cigarette hanging from his lip, and a generally raffish air of uncleanliness. I learned that I was wrong; the phrase meant a junior with a bit of fluff on his otherwise impeccable tunic. The other fellow, the one I had envisaged, was not a soldier at all. He was a member of the Royal Air Force or the criminal classes-the two terms were all but synonymous.”

Ah yes that brings back memories. I see no mention of "losing your name". A very Sandhurst expression. Where the Pl Colour Sgt or CSM would say "Mr **** You have lost your name Sir" meaning that your name had been taken and you would be appearing before the Company Commander for some offense or other. Such as turning up for field training with last week's version of the pocket tactical Aide memoir rather than the new edition issued yesterday.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Bonjour LeVieux
    You must be very proud of your Dad. They all endured so much. My farther was a paratrooper in the Polish army and got to England in the evacuation of Poland continuing to serve in the Polish army. I still have his officers uniform medals and sandbrowns. My wife's farther was a navigator in Lancaster bombers and we still have his mission flight logbook. only about 20 of his squadron of over sixty survived. I can't imagine the fear of taking off each time or jumping from a plane. Mind you your lot throughout Vietnam went through hell and back. We owe so much to so many. We also have an amazing eye whitness short book account written by her uncle from the war in Gallipoli..at Sulva Bay.He was only about 20 or so and a remarkable wordsmith.
    Yes, and Merci !

Too many of our young never knew that expat Poles and remnants of the "Free French" participated fully, including being on the beaches on D-Day.

Please do not confuse my derogatory comments re Brits as anything personal. But, their politics seem so self-destructive to us.

"keep a stiff. . . . . . and carry-on"; you know !

leVieux

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Hell I thought it was a message from the Clash with that London Calling!
    Yah, that someone may be rocking a casbah soon. Shareef dont like it, shareef being...our freshman reps who hate America and this particular casbah being a certain state sponsors or terrorism.

In other news the Abe Lincoln may be repositioning to do a little casbah rocking.

Talk about a tangent. I dont even remember what my joke was about.

JayZed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2019
    UK
    Yah, that someone may be rocking a casbah soon. Shareef dont like it, shareef being...our freshman reps who hate America and this particular casbah being a certain state sponsors or terrorism.

In other news the Abe Lincoln may be repositioning to do a little casbah rocking.

Talk about a tangent. I dont even remember what my joke was about.

Lost me on that one I'm afraid but never mind!! LOL
    https://www.racingpost.com/profile/horse/857716/rock-the-kasbah/form

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I take it you've done your homework, but if not, these websites are a good start...

https://www.quora.com/What-do-you-need-to-possess-black-powder-firearms-in-the-UK

http://www.marplerifleandpistolclub.org.uk/general/gunlaw.htm

I lived in the UK back in the 1980s, and have been back several times since most recently in 2015 (twice).

To be honest, I felt more fear being unarmed in some parts of the country than I do around "heavily armed" Texans. The UK has made great efforts to disarm law abiding citizens, but less so the criminal element.

And the irony of your country actually being the reason we have a Second Amendment is not lost on many Texans, especially lately. One only has to look at Venezuela to see what a repressive government can do when its citizens lose the ability to fight back!

Top Bottom