• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • markfh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Houston
    Got as many as I can afford. I buy a few here and there with a group buy on alloy HK mags last year. My son's friend is in the army and occasionally brings home new mags for our AR's.

Need more though... Need more money to get more...
    DK Firearms

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    I'd say that when the range bag is too heavy to pick up you might have enough mags; mabye too many guns.

Buckmark-6
    1911-6
    XD9sc-6 (using XD40sc 9 rd mags=13 rds of 9mm each)

Looks like 6 is my magic number for each pistola.

glockrocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    When you think its ill advised to post the amount of munitions you own on a forum, I'd say youre almost getting close to having enough. Im not near there though.

For Glock 22 and Kel-Tec Sub2000 .40
    9 Hi-cap mags, 1 10 rounder (came with the kel-tec, it reminds me of the Clinton AWB and makes me want to use it as a target but can't bring myself to do it.)

For The AK-47
    7 30 Rnd Mags

For the Colt 6920 m4
    2 Lancer 30 Rnd mags
    10 30 Rnd Black Window'd PMag's
    2 20 Rnd Colt Mags

For the XD9 Service Model
    7 15 Rnd Mags.

Hey, its a start.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Say what? I thought that meant it was time to buy another safe. Or is that just me? I'm getting my new safe Saturday.......

I thought that was just an indication that you need a bigger safe LOL.

I've been picking up magazines here and there to have them in my possession in case the hi-capacity magazine ban comes back into action again, which at this point looks like it might happen.

DocRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Arlington
    Too many mags?

I wasn't aware that having too many mags or too much ammunition was even a possibility! The day the Obamanation campaign entered the race, I bought a case of 30 round PMags w/o windows (100) from a dealer in Atlanta, and I pick up a few more at the gun shows every now and then just for grins. Since then I've been buying a couple of Kimber or McCormick 8-shot mags per week and at least 1 case of M193 and 1/2 case of .45 ammo a month. I can't even walk through the basement at my office now for all the boxes stacked everywhere.

I'm a Georgia boy that was transplanted to Texas by the Naval Air in 1967. But given that all my ex's and my 5 children were born here, I'm a real-life Texan now. But because of my heritage, when they send one of General Sherman's great-great-great grandchildren with a box of matches and a bag of marshmallows on a march to the coast, this is one old man will be ready for them.

Slotback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I'm going to second my earlier point, which is still "you can not have too many mags."

markfh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Houston
    Scored 10 new steel AK mags at the Pasadena show for 110. Seems somebody put the used mag price on the new mag box. The guy complained and cussed but he honored the price for me then changed the price.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Say what? I thought that meant it was time to buy another safe. Or is that just me? I'm getting my new safe Saturday.......

Yes it means time to buy a new safe. I really need to invest in one, but I kind of have a space issue. If I had the money I'd buy one and make space, but its all about that money thing. Wonder if I could get a Government Bailout??;)

Chevalier

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    this may be a stupid question...but why can't you have too many mags? it seems to me that ammo or another firearm would be better....

I'm a newb....but this is meant as a serious question.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    this may be a stupid question...but why can't you have too many mags? it seems to me that ammo or another firearm would be better....

If you read through this post you will see that its mainly a joking question. I'm the OP and I posted this as a way to find out if anyone really thinks you can have too many. My answer is, when you run out of places to put guns and magazines then you probably just need a bigger safe, or build a vault. I don't believe you can really have too many.

Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    DFW

There's also the issue that "have" and "buy" aren't necessarily the same thing. If someone were to GIVE me 200 magazines for my AK and my AR, I still wouldn't HAVE too many magazines. But yeah, I'd buy a new gun or more ammo long before I purchased 100 magazines for each of my rifles.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I would like to buy more guns, and plan on doing so, however the time has come for me to say enough is enough until I get my new safe. When I have to unload the current safe just for one rifle, its time to get a bigger safe.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX

It's not a stupid question. Basically all we're saying is that there is no number too large or small to associate with magazines. If you have a gun with 3 mags for it and you are happy, then you have "enough" magazines but not too many (or too few for that matter). Most of us have decided (some longer ago than others) that we will have a minnimum number of magazines per gun (in my case I have no less than 10 per gun, just a preference thing) and exceeding that number is ok, but we will never have fewer than that minnimum. Some of us also have guns with hard to find/expensive mags that we purchase anytime we find 1 or 10 available/cheap.

There. Did that thoroughly confuse you? Hopefully it makes a little more sense and I didn't just make it clear as mud.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    It's not a stupid question. Basically all we're saying is that there is no number too large or small to associate with magazines. If you have a gun with 3 mags for it and you are happy, then you have "enough" magazines but not too many (or too few for that matter). Most of us have decided (some longer ago than others) that we will have a minnimum number of magazines per gun (in my case I have no less than 10 per gun, just a preference thing) and exceeding that number is ok, but we will never have fewer than that minnimum. Some of us also have guns with hard to find/expensive mags that we purchase anytime we find 1 or 10 available/cheap.

There. Did that thoroughly confuse you? Hopefully it makes a little more sense and I didn't just make it clear as mud.

I agree, I know a few people that own guns that have hard to fine, or expensive magazines, so everytime there's a gun show, guess what these guys are at the gun show buying up those expensive magazines cause either 1. they can't find them anywhere, or 2. they're just too dang expensive to buy at a store.

I have 8 Magazines for my Glock, and I'm glad I do cause the local store is sold out of them. My Colt 1911 I have 10 magazines for it, but they seem to be easier to get. The Glock magazines seem pretty expensive $26-30 for a standard 13 round .40S&W magazine. I won't buy the cheap knock off brand ones, I've had 2 of those and they were complete junk.

Chevalier

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Thanks Guys for the responses. They were very helpful. Do magazines tend to "fail" or wear out over time? I wouldn think that there would be some wear over time, but that they would last a long time. That would help me decide what would be the optimal number for me to have.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Thanks Guys for the responses. They were very helpful. Do magazines tend to "fail" or wear out over time? I wouldn think that there would be some wear over time, but that they would last a long time. That would help me decide what would be the optimal number for me to have.

Magazines can and will wear over time. Mostly just springs and followers. Most wear that I've run into has been from usage. Most of my spare mags that don't see much range time all work flawlessly when I run them through the range rotation (I rotate mags in order to ensure they are all working properly and are reliable) along with my dedicated range mags. Storing a loaded magazine does not seem to wear them out IMO although there will be reports to the contrary and people who say you absolutley shouldn't do so. I however have never had a problem with storing loaded mags and reliability issues after long term storage. YMMV..

The key to magazine life is buying quality magazines (I prefer factory) in the first place and staying away from promag magazines for pistol applications (I have tried them and have yet to find a reliable one). In the 1911 world there are many reliable aftermarket mags available but for most others I will vote for factory mags.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom