• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunbubba

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    too many mags vs. a reasonable number

If you are looking for some reasonable method to determine 'how many mags is enough?' here's one opinion: for me if it's a semi auto high cap 'assault style' rifle I look at what the military (whose ever it may be) carry with that rifle. In the case of the AR15/M16 platform a typical load carried by our service men would be a mag in the rifle and 6 in pouches, usually two pouches with 3 mags each, so 7 mags is a good start. For AK47's there are different 'typical' mag carriers depending on the country, but something between 5 and 7 mags is pretty normal. M14/FN FAL/HK 91 or other 7.62x51 rifles usually carry 6 + 1 mags, but they are 20 rounders, so 120 rounds. The weight of 120 rounds of 7.62x51 is similar to 210 rounds of 5.56 apparently. For handguns it's usually something like 2 or 3 mags, the idea being that if you are going to carry additional rounds you are better off with more rifle rounds than pistol rounds. Plus, if you have been through 20-30 rounds of .45 ACP and the fight's not over you obviously have a larger problem on your hands.

The reality in the current political climate is that "you can't have too many magazines" really means "you can't have too many high capacity magazines" with the assumption that they will become very difficult to obtain. You might as well buy more than you ever think you would need if you have the money. You will always be able to sell them to your friends if you decide you don't need them later.

As far as 'do they ever wear out?' yes, but unlikely unless you are shooting competition or you just practice an awful lot. Most of the well made magazines will last for thousands of rounds. FYI while stainless is easier to take care of in most cases, the reality is that silicone chrome springs don't develop "memory" while the stainless mag springs may.

As far as brands, AVOID the U.S.A brand mags. They suck. I'm not a big fan of Triple K or most other wide distribution after market mags either. Generally for pistol mags I would say to buy the factory mag or possibly Scherer mags for Glocks or MecGar mags for pretty much anything else. MecGar makes most of the OEM magazines anyway, so while they are technically "aftermarket" they really aren't.

For AR15 mags stick with either military contractor mags or Magpul Pmags. The Magpul followers are probaby worth the money as a replacement to the original military follower, especially if the follower is one of the old black ones. The green military followers are pretty good.

For other military semi-autos try to stick with the military mags as well. AK mags are their own subculture, there is a pretty wide range of quality depending on the country, luckily almost all of them work.

Last bit of advice, keep your mags clean. It doesn't take much crud in a mag to bind up the follower. Clean your mags when you clean your guns.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    If you are looking for some reasonable method to determine 'how many mags is enough?' here's one opinion: for me if it's a semi auto high cap 'assault style' rifle I look at what the military (whose ever it may be) carry with that rifle. In the case of the AR15/M16 platform a typical load carried by our service men would be a mag in the rifle and 6 in pouches, usually two pouches with 3 mags each, so 7 mags is a good start. For AK47's there are different 'typical' mag carriers depending on the country, but something between 5 and 7 mags is pretty normal. M14/FN FAL/HK 91 or other 7.62x51 rifles usually carry 6 + 1 mags, but they are 20 rounders, so 120 rounds. The weight of 120 rounds of 7.62x51 is similar to 210 rounds of 5.56 apparently. For handguns it's usually something like 2 or 3 mags, the idea being that if you are going to carry additional rounds you are better off with more rifle rounds than pistol rounds. Plus, if you have been through 20-30 rounds of .45 ACP and the fight's not over you obviously have a larger problem on your hands.

The reality in the current political climate is that "you can't have too many magazines" really means "you can't have too many high capacity magazines" with the assumption that they will become very difficult to obtain. You might as well buy more than you ever think you would need if you have the money. You will always be able to sell them to your friends if you decide you don't need them later.

As far as 'do they ever wear out?' yes, but unlikely unless you are shooting competition or you just practice an awful lot. Most of the well made magazines will last for thousands of rounds. FYI while stainless is easier to take care of in most cases, the reality is that silicone chrome springs don't develop "memory" while the stainless mag springs may.

As far as brands, AVOID the U.S.A brand mags. They suck. I'm not a big fan of Triple K or most other wide distribution after market mags either. Generally for pistol mags I would say to buy the factory mag or possibly Scherer mags for Glocks or MecGar mags for pretty much anything else. MecGar makes most of the OEM magazines anyway, so while they are technically "aftermarket" they really aren't.

For AR15 mags stick with either military contractor mags or Magpul Pmags. The Magpul followers are probaby worth the money as a replacement to the original military follower, especially if the follower is one of the old black ones. The green military followers are pretty good.

For other military semi-autos try to stick with the military mags as well. AK mags are their own subculture, there is a pretty wide range of quality depending on the country, luckily almost all of them work.

Last bit of advice, keep your mags clean. It doesn't take much crud in a mag to bind up the follower. Clean your mags when you clean your guns.

That's good logical thinking. However I always have extra magazines in case one malfunctions so that I have others until I get a replacement or get parts to repair it.

When I was deployed in Iraq, I had a total of 16 magazines I only carried 8 of them at a time, and had the other 8 in a bag in my HMMWV readily available if I had to dismount. Ammo at that time was hard to get and was even harder to get for pistols so we only had 2 magazines of 15 rounds for the pistols.

Chevalier

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Thanks guys! That is some great info and helps me, and other new people, a great deal. It helps to have some perspective from those that have "been there, done that."

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Thanks guys! That is some great info and helps me, and other new people, a great deal. It helps to have some perspective from those that have "been there, done that."

I would rather have and carry extra ammo, than be out somewhere not near my HMMWV and need more ammo. Kind of hard to get back to the HMMWV under fire.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I can't even count how many I have.

I would say a minimum of 10 for each weapon if not more.

Thats what I reccomend to new owners.

iratollah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    Not all of my mags are loaded, but I looked in the safe and saw 270 rds of .223 and 150 rds of 7.62 loaded up and ready to go. If I need more than that while I'm away from my depot, it's likely that having enough ammo is no longer my major concern. I'd better have a surgical kit handy at that point.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I am with SC-Texas on this one. 10-12 for each weapon. Two exceptions the wifes M&P cause she doesnt shoot enough and if TSHTF the Glocks are the ones coming along for the ride. The second is an AR in that case its all that I can afford to buy every gun show...

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I would advise people read some of Larry Vicker's advice on mags as the guy knows his stuff (read his "resume" if you don't know who he is, definitely a voice of wisdom):

Magazines

As far as mag replacement, I would tend to think that many average rifle users that never really attend any serious fighting rifle type classes (where you may go through 1000-2500 rounds in the course of 2-4 days) probably don't use their guns enough to actually wear the mags out from constant use, constant loading, etc. Still, it's something to consider.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I would advise people read some of Larry Vicker's advice on mags as the guy knows his stuff (read his "resume" if you don't know who he is, definitely a voice of wisdom):

Magazines

As far as mag replacement, I would tend to think that many average rifle users that never really attend any serious fighting rifle type classes (where you may go through 1000-2500 rounds in the course of 2-4 days) probably don't use their guns enough to actually wear the mags out from constant use, constant loading, etc. Still, it's something to consider.

That was a great article, thanks for the link.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    you can never have enough mags or ammo, :)

I'm putting another vote in for you can never have too many. You can also never have enough extended ones either. As long as it's a reasonable size a mag can never carry too many rounds.

For your sub-compacts you can never have enough pearce grip extensions either. Those things are magical. Like a little futon sofa for your pinky.

The only thing that slows down my mag collection for my favorites is the price. But I try to pick one up every once and a while to fight temptation. A $30-50 magazine is a hell of a lot cheaper than just going out and buying some new piece of iron. I mean come on now. Why not just buy more storage for the ones that I use, enjoy and love the most.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Now, some of you may think I'm crazy for what I'm about to say. There's a certain compact semi auto that I've sort of liked, but it is very uncommon so I've never been too sure about buying one. It is a pretty high quality gun as far as the build quality goes. I just found out a source for the factory mags for them for so ridiculously cheap, that I decided I'm going to buy the gun just for the sole reason that the mags are so cheap I can easily buy like 30-50 of them if I feel like it. ;) I'm not saying what the gun is or where the mag source is until I already have the gun and like 30-50 mags because I don't want anyone else taking them. ;) lol I'll end up trying it out for a carry gun, and I'll have a nearly limitless supply of extra mags. hahaha

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Now, some of you may think I'm crazy for what I'm about to say. There's a certain compact semi auto that I've sort of liked, but it is very uncommon so I've never been too sure about buying one. It is a pretty high quality gun as far as the build quality goes. I just found out a source for the factory mags for them for so ridiculously cheap, that I decided I'm going to buy the gun just for the sole reason that the mags are so cheap I can easily buy like 30-50 of them if I feel like it. ;) I'm not saying what the gun is or where the mag source is until I already have the gun and like 30-50 mags because I don't want anyone else taking them. ;) lol I'll end up trying it out for a carry gun, and I'll have a nearly limitless supply of extra mags. hahaha

Now Sig that is definitely the American way of holding out on all of your fellow respectable citizens... TSK TSK TSK

Old Man of the Mountain

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    i buy them until i lose track of how many i have....then i buy some more.

Recently I noticed that I have more mags than I thought I had, as I just buy a couple here or there from time to time, but I do not have too many!

I think I need more replacement springs!

I keep every mag cleaned and lubed!

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Though SOME springs may not take a set from being continually loaded, SOME do. Also, if you leave a mag loaded, and let it sit over time, the feed lips will start to spread, making your expensive mag and expensive POS. Rotate your mags.

The question is not how many is too many. It's do you have quality reliable mags, and the proper parts to keep them in service.

If you have a mag that is unreliable, trash it. Mags are expendable, and you shouldn't hold on to one that is not up to snuff.

Starker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    The High Ground of Texas
    Though SOME springs may not take a set from being continually loaded, SOME do. Also, if you leave a mag loaded, and let it sit over time, the feed lips will start to spread, making your expensive mag and expensive POS. Rotate your mags.

I have read that, from a metallurgic perspective, springs wear out from continual compression and decompression. Your saying that some springs do and some do not. I am new to all of this. Would you or someone else please explicate this topic.

Top Bottom