• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JRH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    Frankly to be honest, there is no pistol IMO, that has ever, or will ever attain such a level of being a, be all, to end all pistol.

And so it seems we are in agreement after all. Even Jeff Cooper ditched the 1911 for the Bren Ten and look where that went.
    Venture Surplus ad

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    That is why you need more than two. Just so you can compare your own and decide which one of "yours" is most overrated.

JRH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    What they are is a glorified .38 Special.
    In the end nothing more than a six-shot .38.

The same could be said of the Colt Trooper, the S&W 19 and the Ruger Security Six. The medium frame magnums really couldn't hande a steady diet of magnum loads. Almost like they were designed with the idea of police departments carrying magnums but shooting .38 specials for economy. The heavy frame Smiths (like your 27) and the Ruger Blackhawks were really the only ones that didn't choke at some point on a steady diet of magnums.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The same could be said of the Colt Trooper, the S&W 19 and the Ruger Security Six. The medium frame magnums really couldn't hande a steady diet of magnum loads. Almost like they were designed with the idea of police departments carrying magnums but shooting .38 specials for economy. The heavy frame Smiths (like your 27) and the Ruger Blackhawks were really the only ones that didn't choke at some point on a steady diet of magnums.

True enough.
    The models you mentioned also didn't sell for anything near what the Python sold for.
    Back in the day how many Pythons did you see in cops holsters?

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Practice with .38's and carry .357 when your life depends on it.
    125 gr .357 hp have stopped many a bad guy.

AgedWarrior

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2021
    Lamb County, TX
    The 92 series is fantastically accurate, has better QC than CZ or modern SIG, and have better, more consistent triggers than any other DA/SA auto. Plus they are much cheaper than SIG.

Its hard to claim they are overrated when probably 75% (at least) of people don't even know what DA/SA is, much less how to shoot it well.
    I wasn’t intending to comment on this…but I am a little bored at the moment.
    I get the impression you are a Berretta 92 fanboy as well as AR15’s. The thing is, I never said the 92 was a bad gun, just overrated due to military contract. It is a fine pistol that some folks really like. I find the trigger and accuracy of my FNX-9 to be equal to or better than any 92 I have shot, and the FNX-9 is just a poly framed gun.
    Not really sure where you were headed with your last comment about most folks not comprehending a da/sa trigger, but I do. Anyway, three cheers for the Berretta 92, a great and (in my opinion) overrated pistol!:rolleyes:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I wasn’t intending to comment on this…but I am a little bored at the moment.
    I get the impression you are a Berretta 92 fanboy as well as AR15’s. The thing is, I never said the 92 was a bad gun, just overrated due to military contract. It is a fine pistol that some folks really like. I find the trigger and accuracy of my FNX-9 to be equal to or better than any 92 I have shot, and the FNX-9 is just a poly framed gun.
    Not really sure where you were headed with your last comment about most folks not comprehending a da/sa trigger, but I do. Anyway, three cheers for the Berretta 92, a great and (in my opinion) overrated pistol!:rolleyes:

I would argue that military adoption on the M9 did little to help its reputation, between its fierce competition with SIG, issues with SEAL's shooting the guns with hot SMG ammo, and the military's idea of weapons maintenance. And its not exactly hard to find vets who do not like Berettas

I know people who own M9's/92's because they were adopted by the military, but they are just there to fill a hole in the collection. And to be honest, if a military contract makes a pistol overrated, the 1911 is the biggest offender there

I just think its funny to call the Beretta overrated when its a better value (and quality) than sig, and a better quality than cz

And yes, DA/SA is probably the least understood trigger system out there, i can not remember how many times I've heard "you have to throw away that first shot" or "you need to cock that hammer back first". Hell, how many times I've tried the DA pull on other peoples DA/SA gun, and they think I've broken their gun? We might know how to shoot DA/SA, but we are not most shooters.

As far as accuracy, there is a reason Bill Wilson likes them so much.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I would argue that military adoption on the M9 did little to help its reputation, between its fierce competition with SIG, issues with SEAL's shooting the guns with hot SMG ammo, and the military's idea of weapons maintenance. And its not exactly hard to find vets who do not like Berettas

I know people who own M9's/92's because they were adopted by the military, but they are just there to fill a hole in the collection. And to be honest, if a military contract makes a pistol overrated, the 1911 is the biggest offender there

I just think its funny to call the Beretta overrated when its a better value (and quality) than sig, and a better quality than cz

And yes, DA/SA is probably the least understood trigger system out there, i can not remember how many times I've heard "you have to throw away that first shot" or "you need to cock that hammer back first". Hell, how many times I've tried the DA pull on other peoples DA/SA gun, and they think I've broken their gun? We might know how to shoot DA/SA, but we are not most shooters.

I was an armorer in the USMC and spent alot of time with the M9. We had to be armed the entire time we were in the armory so I carried mine in a drop leg blackhawk holster lol.

I haven't owned one yet as a civilian but never really understood the hate the pistol got while I was in. I have shot thousands of rounds through the platform and never had any malfunctions or anything.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have owned quite a few Beretta, 92's, and 96's, along with Taurus P92's and P100's over the years. They are quite capable handguns, and decently accurate as well from my past experiences with them. I actually like the platform quite a bit, and wouldn't hesitate in buying another one either in 9mm or 40 S&W.

But, I'll admit, it does have a rather large grip, which I could see being problematic for some people with smaller hands being able to shoot accurately. It's also not the lightest pistol on the market either, and not a small pistol as well. IMO, for some applications, it does have some limitations.

These are simply my thoughts and observations based upon my personal experiences with the platform.

AgedWarrior

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2021
    Lamb County, TX
    I was an armorer in the USMC and spent alot of time with the M9. We had to be armed the entire time we were in the armory so I carried mine in a drop leg blackhawk holster lol.

I haven't owned one yet as a civilian but never really understood the hate the pistol got while I was in. I have shot thousands of rounds through the platform and never had any malfunctions or anything.
    Funny, I never really understood the hate or the love regarding the M9. Personally I was a little bummed when the 1911 got axed for the M9 cause I just kinda like fat and slow. :p Wasn’t real enamored with 9mm back when they bought into the 92, but I think technology has brought the 9mm forward too.

AgedWarrior

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2021
    Lamb County, TX

You may not have noticed, but I made a similar comment about the 1911, and I enjoy shooting 1911’s. The folks I know seem to relate to da/sa actions better than some you are running into…although I did have to explain it to a young guy working at a gun store a few weeks back :rolleyes:. Reflecting on that, I guess I see your point; he was pretty ignorant…seemed to only understand striker guns and poly frames.
    Bill Wilson shoots what makes Bill Wilson happy.
    My comments were never intended as derogatory towards the 92…just considering the facts as I see them.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Funny, I never really understood the hate or the love regarding the M9. Personally I was a little bummed when the 1911 got axed for the M9 cause I just kinda like fat and slow. :p Wasn’t real enamored with 9mm back when they bought into the 92, but I think technology has brought the 9mm forward too.
    My armory on Okinawa had exactly one M1911 left in our cage per request of the CO. It was his personally assigned weapon and he was allowed to qualify with it and carry it. I loved to carry it too when I knew he was on the mainland or something lol

Pretty cool as it was one of the last 1911s left in the USMC at the time. The strings you can pull when you are a full bird colonel on your way to the general ranks

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Opinions can also be shaped or based upon our own perceptions, observations or preferences as well.
    That's the basis of opinion, I can't really have an opinion without some knowledge to base it on. Unless you are someone that says something like "well, it has a pony on it, so it has to be good", but that's more of a biases than an actual opinion.

Top Bottom