• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Thanks for the help everyone. I plan to hit it hard tomorrow and make a nice ol' spreadsheet of potential apartments, then make a day or two trip out of visiting them all.

I refuse to move into a place, especially in Dallas, without seeing it first. I did that once in college because of my idiot roommates, and ended up with a place that smelt like cat piss. Never again.
    Hurley's Gold

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    Good luck man. Hit some of us up when ya come in and maybe we can do lunch or sumthin. And i guess the circle of life came around today. You found a job and blingandglockgurl got laid off aling with a bunch of others. But hey.....it will all be just fine.

swcc22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    fannin county
    Traffic sucks around there Carrollton farmers branch. The colony Lewisville are north and lower crime
    Dont live in hurst irving or oak cliff
    The only easy day was yesterday.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    anywhere off of Harry Hines is good;) Seriously, Frisco is a nice area, may be a bit of a drive for you though

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Bud....stretch yourself a tad - closer to the 1k range if at ALL possible. Remember that when you rent "budget", so are your neighbors......an' some of 'em will load the place up w/roommates. The lower-rent places don't care as long as the rent is coming in, the higher rent ones won't put up with that, or the other stuff that comes with "budget rooms".

I haven't rented in about 15 years now, but after my last divorce I did the "I don't wanna waste money on rent, I'll find something cheap." Man, I learned a VALUABLE lesson.

If you have anyone in the area you could hook up with to stay with for a couple of weeks, that would be best. You could then leave work and drive to the areas you're thinking of renting in, and get a realistic idea as to the kinds of commute challenges you'll be facing. It'll also give you a chance to ask around at work - might find someone that knows someone, y'know?

Oh - and congrats on finally landing a job, I know it's been a challenge!

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Never lived in DFW so I can't offer help with that. You're young and essentially just starting out, I suggest living as cheap as possible for a while. Maybe a garage apartment, efficiency, or 3-4 way rental. Sock away a $10-$20K cash cushion while getting a feel for the area and the direction your career moves. Then think a little more along the lines of status. Good luck either way.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I am flexible to an extent. But $1k/mo on rent is really going to push me to my limits. I've looked into roommates and such, but have no leads at this moment. Some of my previous roommates have actually moved to this area recently, but either a) don't have jobs and live with their family or b) have roommates.

I'm going to see what I can work out. I need to sit down and write out a new budget in regards to my salary, and really see what "works".

Unfortunately, Dallas is one place I have no connections to stay with in the mean time. Had it been any other major city, that wouldn't be the case. Go figure.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Never lived in DFW so I can't offer help with that. You're young and essentially just starting out, I suggest living as cheap as possible for a while. Maybe a garage apartment, efficiency, or 3-4 way rental. Sock away a $10-$20K cash cushion while getting a feel for the area and the direction your career moves. Then think a little more along the lines of status. Good luck either way.

That would take a LONG time to build up with the bills I have waiting for me after my first paycheck.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    A co-worker recently married and her new husband is looking to sell his house in North Richland Hills (near north 820 and 377 IIRC).
    Would probably make you a decent deal on it as they need to move it.

Top Bottom