• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    And TCU is in Fort Worth. UTA is in Arlington. UNT is in Denton. Night life shouldn't dictate where you live. Rush hour traffic should trump that. It's easy to get where you want to go to party. Much more difficult to get back and forth to work. Just my .02

Makes sense. Just trying to find a happy medium. I also have good friends in the Coppell and Carrollton area, so that's another reason why I was looking north. I'm content with a 30-40 minute commute, though.
    Lynx Defense

Pawpawc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    DFW area
    Lewisville to Irving is going to be a nightmare at rush hour. Both directions. You'd be better served looking farther west than north.

Not necessarily true. I live I flower mound and travel to UTA for work and I can do it on 30-35 minutes.

You cut through airport. Evening the traffic is a little worse but he can learn ways around it. Lewisville isn't too bad a place. Restaurants, nightlife close by, gun and archery ranges close by.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I agree with Pawpawc - I drive half of the stretch of I-35 between Lewisville and Irving every morning (the part that's in Dallas and should be the more congested part). It's the part of my commute that actually approaches posted speed limits.

Plus, Lewisville's got a really nice gun range. That's a major plus. And apparently a lake, too.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Traffic sucks around there Carrollton farmers branch. The colony Lewisville are north and lower crime
    Dont live in hurst irving or oak cliff
    The only easy day was yesterday.

The Colony is next door to me. If you are at $750 you might want to up your price a touch. Traffic can be horrific around here during rush hours. You might want to look at Lewisville (newer construction).

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Grapevine, Las Colinas, Lewisville, Trophy Club, Flower Mound, Bedford, Hurst, Euless - Out of these listed, I thought Grapevine had the nicest feel.

When we moved up here to DFW we were house shopping while living out of an efficiency rental at the Budget Suites for a few months. Totally miserable and you had to watch your back with the unsavory characters that came and went. The phrase "Thanks Katrina" was muttered early and often describing who and why those type of folks were always around. We were so glad to get out of there we camped in our closed-on home for a week waiting for our HHGs to be delivered. Didn't matter we were on the floor with air mattresses, we were out of that crap hole hotel rental.

You won't find anywhere up here in N DFW that you will not be stuck in traffic. It is just a given that you will have to suck it up. I do think DFW drivers are more courteous and better at driving in congestion that crappy Austin drivers, though that probably isn't saying much. Up here the big construction is the 121 Connector Project. When it's done it will be great. They have cleared the halfway hurdle so things are getting better with each bit of work. You should have seen the Thunderdomeness when they started tearing stuff up and rerouting. Every day was like a show at the Roman Colosseum.

Congrats on the new job. Oh, when you are looking at rentals be certain to switch on the crime maps and see what the area looks like.

I also recommend getting the toll tag asap. Keeping the account charged is easy and makes getting around DFW seamless. It works across the state too.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Yeah, I've been looking at a crime map. It's interesting to say the least; there's a whole lot of red.

Las Colinas would probably be the "smartest" move, since it's the closest to my job, but of the reviews I've seen on the apartments, it seems like those folks with less than acceptable morality are still an issue. But they're internet reviews, so I take them for what they're worth.

I'll probably coming to Dallas with my mom and dad at the end of next week. I plan to look at some apartments while my dad catches up with an old childhood/war buddy.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Oh and I'm glad you made the comment that Dallas>Austin in terms of the traffic and how "courteous" they are. Austin traffic is probably the worst I've ever dealt with.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    LC has a different feel to it. It seems they like to attract the corporate apt/urban commuter lifestyle. So you get a pretty random mix of people. You will see younger adult aged people, young professionals and the older corporate folks geo-baching for work. My husband's office is right there in LC off NW Hwy/114 so it is familiar.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Oh and I'm glad you made the comment that Dallas>Austin in terms of the traffic and how "courteous" they are. Austin traffic is probably the worst I've ever dealt with.

DFW still has their idiots and jerks. But for the most part, if you use your blinker and be swift in making your moves like you know what you are doing, you will be fine. DFWers seem to understand it all sucks and we are all stuck in it together. There are some road raging buttholes too. But you have to commit to stay out of the fray and you will be fine.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    The road racing buttholes have been offing themselves a lot lately particularly the teenagers on the crotch rockets.

Sent from a creepy ass cracka.

Darryle

Crazy old Coot
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Fort Worth, Texas
    You'd be surprised at what you can buy for less than $1000 a month and who will loan you money. The people that bought the 5 ac I sold this pass spring, had me raise my asking price to the broker, then offered my original asking price and got a loan for 100% of it. I have already been offered it back at $25,000 less than it sold for and now it has a water well and septic. They hauled the triple wide off last week.

Sent from my Tesla coil

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    You'd be surprised at what you can buy for less than $1000 a month and who will loan you money. The people that bought the 5 ac I sold this pass spring, had me raise my asking price to the broker, then offered my original asking price and got a loan for 100% of it. I have already been offered it back at $25,000 less than it sold for and now it has a water well and septic. They hauled the triple wide off last week.

Sent from my Tesla coil

Any bank that would loan me the amount for a house should be shut down. I don't even bother with the idea or hopes that I can afford a home in the next few years. I couldn't bear to take on more loans; student loans are already choking me to death.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I couldn't bear to take on more loans; student loans are already choking me to death.

This. I'm not an expert at many things, but money and budgeting is something my bank account says I have done quite well, on a very modest and boring salary. Please don't listen to these people who are telling you to spend upwards of $1K per month on rent when they don't even know your situation.

If you would like to talk through anything, send me a PM.

Tuff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Weatherford, TX
    The area that you are going to be working in(very ethnic area by the way) is really easy to get to from the west.. In all honesty it would be cheaper for you to look at apts/rent houses in the HEB area..Hurst/Euless/Bedford which lies just to the west. and has some nice areas with nice apts.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Yeah, I've been looking at a crime map. It's interesting to say the least; there's a whole lot of red.

Las Colinas would probably be the "smartest" move, since it's the closest to my job, but of the reviews I've seen on the apartments, it seems like those folks with less than acceptable morality are still an issue. But they're internet reviews, so I take them for what they're worth.

I'll probably coming to Dallas with my mom and dad at the end of next week. I plan to look at some apartments while my dad catches up with an old childhood/war buddy.

If you don't mnd the drive Frisco is a safe place to live. There are two new apt complexes that have been built near us. One on 423 is brand spanking new and the other is one Lebanon and Teel.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    The DFW connector (or whatever they are calling it these days) is getting very close to being competed. Maybe by fall. This was a huge-ass project that's been going on for about 5 years and has snarled traffic on the north side of the airport. Once it's done travel in that area will be a breeze even at rush hours. HEB (Hurst Euless Bedford) has some things to offer as well. But North Tarrant Express project which works on the main freeway through HEB has about 3-4 more years to completion. It is a royal PITA.

See North Tarrant Express Highway Construction Project by NTE Mobility Partners North Tarrant Express (NTE) Construction Project by NTE Mobility Partners

Top Bottom