Name something you aint had to eat in a long time, but like to eat.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Blackened redfish. My all-time favorite seafood. Apparently, too many people's favorite. Also, Peach Melba, which I had for desert once at a very expensive place in New Orleans.

One of the best meals - and one that it's been way too long since having - is just eggs and bacon or sausage or Spam, cooked outside on a Coleman and eaten on some fresh, hot tortillas in the cold early morning. A fav on camping trips and hunting. Eating that with a hot cup of coffee in the outdoors and I'm a happy guy.

For a whole lot of reasons, I haven't been able to enjoy that and don't see it happening for the foreseeable future.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    You lost me when you proffered them as being from 14 year old children; I am not at all into pedophilia and that applies even in any joking manner. I certainly am not a prude but I find it rather repulsive and less than acceptable for anyone to bring up, on this site in jest or not, any sort of illicit act with minors.
    Thanks for the warning. I'll watch my step.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    2 pages without a gutter ball.
    I'm kinda impressed.
    tenor.gif

Attachments

• tenor.gif
      tenor.gif
      554.8 KB · Views: 393

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    My real reply.... I had an elk steak back in flagstaff one fall on a hunting trip. It was hands down the best steak I've ever eaten. I wasn't much into food back then, eating was an inconvenience to me then. I took one bite of that steak and had an epiphany.

So, elk steak.
    Elk steak is a wonderful thing. About 2" thick, cooked on the grill. Ahhhh

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Blackened redfish. My all-time favorite seafood. Apparently, too many people's favorite. Also, Peach Melba, which I had for desert once at a very expensive place in New Orleans.

One of the best meals - and one that it's been way too long since having - is just eggs and bacon or sausage or Spam, cooked outside on a Coleman and eaten on some fresh, hot tortillas in the cold early morning. A fav on camping trips and hunting. Eating that with a hot cup of coffee in the outdoors and I'm a happy guy.

For a whole lot of reasons, I haven't been able to enjoy that and don't see it happening for the foreseeable future.

I fondly remember the first time I had blackened catfish. 1988. My first wife and I were in vacation in southern Louisiana for the first time, and in New Iberia we both had a seafood platter that had blackened catfish. That became my favorite way to enjoy catfish!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I took one bite of that steak and had an epiphany.
    Well, if the topic has become "the one meal that triggered an epiphany" then that one's easy. I've had two "best meals of my life".

One was in a hotel in a city I can't remember. It was a nice hotel and my room was high up, overlooking downtown. I just can't remember which it was because I was traveling so much back in the 1990s that I didn't know where I was much of the time. I had come off two troubleshooting jobs in two different cities and now I was in a third. (It might have been Chicago but I'm honestly not sure.) For the last two nights I had slept more on planes and in cars than in my hotel rooms. I hadn't had a decent meal in days and I was awake enough to enjoy one but too tired to go out and look for one. I did something I almost never did; I ordered room service.

I had a tomato and feta salad; a large porterhouse, medium rare; garlic mashed potatoes with skins on and some sort of cheese; steamed broccoli; water; and a giant strawberry milkshake. I admit that my receptivity was a big part of this judgement but it was simply the best restaurant meal I've ever had.

Number two was in Uvalde in 1978. My father and I had been shooting all day in a match at the Uvalde Gun Club (which, I think, no longer exists.) It was summer, late in the day, we were parched and hadn't eaten since breakfast. I went to our 1970 Cadillac and rummaged around in the ice chest. I found two waters. Then I saw it, a bit of plastic poking up through the seats. I fished out a plastic bag containing one of the egg-on-toast with a light coat of mayo sandwiches that mom had sent with us for breakfast when we had left home before sunrise that morning. Apparently I had sat on it and it had gone down between the cushions of the front seat.

I called my dad over. We split the sandwich and leaned against the car, side by side, watching the sun go down as we silently chewed our soggy, flattened sandwich halves and sipped our water. The pistols on the range had long since gone silent and there was a stillness to the place, to our eating, and in our hearts. It was just me and my dad, saying nothing, communicating volumes, and finding peace, together. Somehow even my deeply immature, 18-year-old heart knew that the moment was perfect.

That was the best meal of my short life. A bit over a year later my dad was dead. I've never had another meal that came close to that ruined sandwich with that marvelous old man. I won't have another like it until I share another sandwich with him on the other side.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Well, if the topic has become "the one meal that triggered an epiphany" then that one's easy. I've had two "best meals of my life".

One was in a hotel in a city I can't remember. It was a nice hotel and my room was high up, overlooking downtown. I just can't remember which it was because I was traveling so much back in the 1990s that I didn't know where I was much of the time. I had come off two troubleshooting jobs in two different cities and now I was in a third. (It might have been Chicago but I'm honestly not sure.) For the last two nights I had slept more on planes and in cars than in my hotel rooms. I hadn't had a decent meal in days and I was awake enough to enjoy one but too tired to go out and look for one. I did something I almost never did; I ordered room service.

I had a tomato and feta salad; a large porterhouse, medium rare; garlic mashed potatoes with skins on and some sort of cheese; steamed broccoli; water; and a giant strawberry milkshake. I admit that my receptivity was a big part of this judgement but it was simply the best restaurant meal I've ever had.

Number two was in Uvalde in 1978. My father and I had been shooting all day in a match at the Uvalde Gun Club (which, I think, no longer exists.) It was summer, late in the day, we were parched and hadn't eaten since breakfast. I went to our 1970 Cadillac and rummaged around in the ice chest. I found two waters. Then I saw it, a bit of plastic poking up through the seats. I fished out a plastic bag containing one of the egg-on-toast with a light coat of mayo sandwiches that mom had sent with us for breakfast when we had left home before sunrise that morning. Apparently I had sat on it and it had gone down between the cushions of the front seat.

I called my dad over. We split the sandwich and leaned against the car, side by side, watching the sun go down as we silently chewed our soggy, flattened sandwich halves and sipped our water. The pistols on the range had long since gone silent and there was a stillness to the place, to our eating, and in our hearts. It was just me and my dad, saying nothing, communicating volumes, and finding peace, together. Somehow even my deeply immature, 18-year-old heart knew that the moment was perfect.

That was the best meal of my short life. A bit over a year later my dad was dead. I've never had another meal that came close to that ruined sandwich with that marvelous old man. I won't have another like it until I share another sandwich with him on the other side.

That was a great memory Ben. Thanks for sharing that. puts things into a perspective of what things are really important, and maybe, reminds us to spend time with our family. Thank you sir for that.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Brings back memories that my darn screen go blurry.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    My last post came from an old stand up routine.

Offended?

Put me on ignore and in the future those with delicate sensibilities will remain intact............

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    He must have been a wonderful father to have been a dad who gave you such excellent memories.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    A true, homemade lasagna, with nothing but the cheese being store bought. Was dating a lil' Italian girl when I was stationed in Alameda, Ca. Goooood stuff. Her Mama loved me, hence the homemade, and her stepdad hated me, but loved it when I was invited for dinner.

I'd really like to have a good Philly cheesteak sammich.

And I've really, really been hankerin' for some Eggs Benedict.

Top Bottom