• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think I need to get her a shotgun...more damage les accuracy....

Don't be fooled by TV.

Shotguns require aiming just as rifles and pistols do and can be uncomfortable for a lot of new shooters, ESP with any kind of descent HD load.

The spread at any distance in your home will probably not be more than about 8-10"

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you insist.

I'm not "anti-shotgun" but if .38 recoil bothers her......

just make sure she knows what is required and is truly proficient in manipulating a pump shotgun if that's what you go with.

It gonna have to a reflex action in an HD situation.

I learned while getting my wife shooting that many things that seem natural we're actually learned over a very long period of time. Used to drive me crazy that she didn't "just know" things that seemed very simple.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I first shot a shotgun a 16 and hit 5 out of 5 skeet shooting. I think I will take her to see her accuracy.

Dont take this the wrong way, but what comes to mind right now is "time to stop talking and start listening." What you or your wife can do on the skeet range has little to do with a home/self defense situation.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Hey David,

Welcome to TGT. You gotta have a thick skin around here and most of us do. Except for me, I am a warm and cuddly, friendly kind of guy......snicker.

Flash

It's not polite to lie to the new guy. A good ribbing is acceptable though.

Yea she stated to get me on the 22 so I said oh well lets try a 9. Lol every time she gets close I move up.

You mentioned that you want her to get a gun for self protection. For the home I would go with a Remington 870 Express or Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip. Easy to maneuver in close-quarters and unmistakable in stopping power. As for handguns, I'm more biased towards a .45 because of its stopping power. Whatever the make is of .45 is your personal preference. It might take her a bit to get used to though because of the recoil and shear intimidation but that makes it all the better in my opinion. Happy hunting and welcome to TGT!

Top Bottom