• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fgarcia3441

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    SA (Sea World Area)
    Let her choose... Tell her Is like trying on bras, there are many to choose from but only one fit.

Disclaimer.....that is what my wife says. I wouldn't know anything about bras except how to take them off one handed, from my younger days.

Sent from my SGH-T879 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Welcome to the Forum!
    If you are in The Woodlands you should try Spring Guns & Ammo, they have a nice selection of rental guns & are close.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Welcome to the forum! A shotgun would be a good starter gun (that you could always use for sporting or hunting). You might want to consider a 20 ga. for reduced recoil. Inside a house or an apartment with the right load a 20 ga. with certainly do the job with less collateral damage.

Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    Let her choose... Tell her Is like trying on bras, there are many to choose from but only one fit.

Disclaimer.....that is what my wife says. I wouldn't know anything about bras except how to take them off one handed, from my younger days.

Sent from my SGH-T879 using Tapatalk 2

Had you not added the disclaimer this thread might 'a taken a turn for the worse.;)

preyn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    You're the only person who ever screwed up on this forum. It was perfect til you showed up. Dammit.

Believe me?

Yeah...didn't think so....

Welcome to the forum.

bwalker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    N/W Houston
    Hi David and welcome to the forum.

While I know virtually nothing about handguns, I do know a little about home defense shotguns.

You mentioned that you want her to get a gun for self protection. For the home I would go with a Remington 870 Express or Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip. Easy to maneuver in close-quarters and unmistakable in stopping power.

These are good reliable shotguns, but I would stay away from a pistol grip. Arnold makes it look easy in the movies but I doubt your wife's wrist would be up to it. It's much harder to aim and reacquire your target with a pistol grip versus a stock. If it will strictly be a home defense weapon, you could save some money and go for the 12 gauge Maverick 88 18.5" barrel security model. It's virtually the same as the Mossberg 500 and the money you save could be spent on an adjustable stock with recoil reduction (~$65). The adjustable stock would allow you to fit the gun to her rather than being stuck with a length of pull that is much too long with the factory stocks.

A shotgun would be a good starter gun (that you could always use for sporting or hunting). You might want to consider a 20 ga. for reduced recoil. Inside a house or an apartment with the right load a 20 ga. with certainly do the job with less collateral damage.

While recoil is definitely a concern for a home defense shotgun, I would stick with a 12 gauge. A 20 gauge will be a lighter weapon which will add to the felt recoil. There's also a lot more low recoil ammo available for a 12 gauge as well.

As for collateral damage yes, that is a concern. Depending on where you live (apartment vs home, brick, etc.) you can, and should, go with a heavier load to get the required stopping power. When your family's life is on the line I'd be more worried about stopping power. If you adhere to the basic rules of firearm safety (knowing your target and what is beyond), and assuming you can hit what you're aiming at, immediately stopping the threat would be the most important consideration for me. IMHO.

TheTexasTom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    I have one daughter that won't give up her Springfield XDM 40 cal, but then she also shoots a Barret 50 from time to time.

My other daughter and my wife both shoot the PPK 380. It fits their hands well, is very easy to shoot, and has very little recoil. Give that one a try.

ATX_Shawn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Austin
    Welcome to the forum.. I read through and agree with what most people say. Its definetly going to be a personal preference but my $0.02 that I didnt already see addressed..

A pistol with a good amount of weight will help with the recoil, as will using low power or light weight ammo (aguila makes super light pistol rounds)
    Use defensive loads for the house, low power target loads for practice. Hollow point or frangibles are a good choice for home since they limit penetration and help transfer kinetic energy.

Lots of folks may say that if its not a .45 the bad guy will keep kickin and stay away from 380's.. I say any gun is better than no gun, so long as she is comfortable with handling and shooting it.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Lots of folks may say that if its not a .45 the bad guy will keep kickin and stay away from 380's.. I say any gun is better than no gun, so long as she is comfortable with handling and shooting it.

I agree with this but if you want the bad guy to stop in his tracks the .45 does the job.

Top Bottom