Texas SOT

New Primary Arms Red Dot: What do you want reviewed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Finally got out and used this red dot today.

Kji0miq.jpg

rsFyC2v.jpg

It was...alright.

The pix above show it on setting 10 of 11.

Very bright day, with sun to my back. What the camera didn't pick up was this weird red halo on the side depending upon which side of my back I put the sun on (if that makes any sense). It was visible when the dot was off too. It didn't obscure the dot, but did mess up the overall sight picture.

I found the adjustments screws to be positive and easy to use.

I didn't shoot for groups, but it was plenty small enough of a dot to be accurate for plinking.

Any other questions?

I'm not entirely disappointed with this red dot, but I'm not sure why folks rave about the Primary Arms red dots as if they are nearly as good as Aimpoints. Perhaps I'd have been more impressed with another model.
    Military Camp

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Wow, your red-dot is a lot more green than my red-dot (MD-FBGII). When I used it in bright sunlight I only had to turn it up to 8 or 9 to have it bright enough.

However, my windage knob has nice defined clicks but the elevation is a bit mushy.

I don't use it hardly at all now so if you wanted to do a head-to-head comparison I'd be happy to offer up it's use.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Wow, your red-dot is a lot more green than my red-dot (MD-FBGII). When I used it in bright sunlight I only had to turn it up to 8 or 9 to have it bright enough.

However, my windage knob has nice defined clicks but the elevation is a bit mushy.

I don't use it hardly at all now so if you wanted to do a head-to-head comparison I'd be happy to offer up it's use.
    Thanks for the offer. Ill send you a PM and see what we can work out. The tint doesn't bother me but it certainly is there. Different glass I suppose in this model.

I found the Bushnell TRS25 to have this tint as well. I shot BIGPAPIGREGs PA red dot and was impressed by the lack of color. I buy the new and improved version and...!

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    It could be just the camera. Both my TRS-25 and the PA MD-FBGII have a very slight green tint. I believe the dot on the PA is smaller, maybe 2 MOA compared to the Bushnell, which is advertised at 3 MOA. Even so, with my old eyes, I was only able to shoot 4-5 inch groups With the PA mounted on my AR at 100 yards.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It could be just the camera. Both my TRS-25 and the PA MD-FBGII have a very slight green tint. I believe the dot on the PA is smaller, maybe 2 MOA compared to the Bushnell, which is advertised at 3 MOA. Even so, with my old eyes, I was only able to shoot 4-5 inch groups With the PA mounted on my AR at 100 yards.

It might make it slightly worse, but it was very noticeable at the range. I suppose it's like shooting with yellow/amber glasses on though, a person get's used to it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My micro has a little red tint, but I usually don't notice it.

One thing not mentioned that is a very slight aggravation on the micro, I can't jump from 0 to 11 on the brightness. If I want 8 for direct sun I have to go all the way from 1 instead of just a few clicks the other way.

Not sure if yours or Aimpoints are the same way.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My micro has a little red tint, but I usually don't notice it.

One thing not mentioned that is a very slight aggravation on the micro, I can't jump from 0 to 11 on the brightness. If I want 8 for direct sun I have to go all the way from 1 instead of just a few clicks the other way.

Not sure if yours or Aimpoints are the same way.
    My Aimpoint PRO was that way (I miss you Aimpoint).

This PA is that way as well, it doesn't bother me.

Its good for what it is and for the price. A $600 Aimpoint on a 10/22 isnt my style.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Looks like a good optic for a .22 but that's about it. The green lens sucks and the dot is barely visible in daylight. You get what you pay for. Buy a cheap optic made in China get a cheap optic made in China. Thanks for the review. I will not be buying one.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol. I think you should look through one in real life before giving such a harsh criticism. That picture doesn't do any justice for what mine looks like.

Then again, some will pay $400 for an optic to put on a $200 rifle, which is fine. For others, that's just not economical, or really necessary. I can put as good a groups at 100 yards with a PA microdot as I can with an EoTech (although I don't know how well the PA could survive harsh weather and such).

They are a great value in optics and probably can't beat them for quality/cost.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Right on but that's only in certain conditions. A quality optic will work at noon on the 4th of July in a field of green grass. I'd rather spend a bit more than buy junk made in China, unless for a .22 plinker .

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That's what I'm saying. Unless they seriously downgraded the new model, it will work just fun at noon on the 4th looking at grass.

No, it's not an Aimpoints though.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I got low standards ;)
    This is on my spare 10/22 so im fine with it. As far as "buy once cry once"...I dont know anyone who actually does that. Sounds like a nice cliche but I imagine most of us didnt start off with top of the line whether that is a chop saw, motorcycle or rifle scope.

I bought this to see what the hype was about. Im not giving up on PA but ill probably sell this particular one down the road. I wont cry though.

Top Bottom