APOD Firearms

NRA Board Election - Please vote with me.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrvmax

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2018
    Friendswood
    Makes sense. But, I'd also like to cast a vote for Julie Golob. Adam was going to get my vote anyway, just didn't know about the "bullet vote" thing. So that would give each of those roughly 12 .5+- votes, right?
    I saw a couple other people on the ballot like her that don’t seem to be part of the establishment

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I saw a couple other people on the ballot like her that don’t seem to be part of the establishment
    If you know others you'd like to tell us about, please do.

My vote for Adam Kraut is specifically because he doesn't "seem to be a part of the establishment." If you know of others who are also not beholden to the NRA establishment and have clearly stated what they want to accomplish (or at least their principles/why they're running), I'd love to know details. I'm sure everyone would.

I don't want the thread to devolve into a "my candidate vs. your candidate" squabble but we would all benefit by knowing more about the people running for the board. The blurbs provided with the ballot (kindly reproduced by TheDan here) tend, due to their brevity, to be less than optimally helpful. Even Kraut's bio requires you to read between the lines; it's kinda unusual when someone who wants to be high up in the NRA actually lists their AR15.com participation on their CV! That sentence practically screams "Not a Fudd!" in a way that avoids antagonizing the less-dedicated members and candidates.

More info is always better. Feel free to share.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Many thanks to the mod who corrected my arithmetic error in the OP. I greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    Thanks for sharing your wisdom, Ben.
    I followed your lead with a single, "bullet" vote for Adam Kraut. Maybe if they get enough like that, the NRA will recognize there's a problem and try to straighten thing out before they go "off the cliff".

I don't suppose you could also share some similar wisdom on the Texas Primary when you have a chance ???

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Now, for next year... I read that it takes 653 signatures to nominate someone via petition. That means we as a forum can easily nominate someone. Ben, do you want to be nominated?
    I know you're joking but I'm retired and about to go through some major changes in life. Consequently, I'll be very busy in the short term and much less busy in a few months...if things work out properly.

So, as crazy as this makes me sound, do you know when the nomination process starts?

Mrvmax

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2018
    Friendswood
    If you know others you'd like to tell us about, please do.

My vote for Adam Kraut is specifically because he doesn't "seem to be a part of the establishment." If you know of others who are also not beholden to the NRA establishment and have clearly stated what they want to accomplish (or at least their principles/why they're running), I'd love to know details. I'm sure everyone would.

I don't want the thread to devolve into a "my candidate vs. your candidate" squabble but we would all benefit by knowing more about the people running for the board. The blurbs provided with the ballot (kindly reproduced by TheDan here) tend, due to their brevity, to be less than optimally helpful. Even Kraut's bio requires you to read between the lines; it's kinda unusual when someone who wants to be high up in the NRA actually lists their AR15.com participation on their CV! That sentence practically screams "Not a Fudd!" in a way that avoids antagonizing the less-dedicated members and candidates.

More info is always better. Feel free to share.
    I don’t have any special insight into them but basic google searches can give more info than in the short bios. Not every candidate listed is bad and electing Adam will not solve every problem either.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Not every candidate listed is bad...
    I assume that to be the case.
    ...electing Adam will not solve every problem either.
    Again, agreed.

However, from what I've seen he's been the most straightforward and specific in his criticisms of the organization and statements of what he'd like to accomplish. He is, IOW, actually campaigning in the venues visible to me. I give him high marks for that.

In addition, I like the positions he has taken and the bylaw changes he's pushing for.

He may turn out to be Don Quixote or a new Neal Knox for a new generation, but I'm hoping he actually accomplishes something. You're right that he certainly won't solve "every" problem; if he solves just one I'll call it a win.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I know you're joking...
    Not joking in the slightest. I think we as a forum should be nominating someone every year, and I can't think of anyone more articulate and sharp than you that most members would rally behind. I have no idea how the nomination process starts, but we can collectively figure it out.

He may turn out to be Don Quixote or a new Neal Knox for a new generation, but I'm hoping he actually accomplishes something.
    Well, he's only one person out 75, right? I can't imagine he's going to get anything done until we can get a few more people like him in as well. Gotta start somewhere.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Three questions. When did the magazine with the ballot come out? When does voting end? How do I do my part to help nominate Ben?

(Life member here)

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Found it. Looks like Adam is #32 on my list, but I understand that number is supposed to vary. I do see a place to write in candidates. Guess it's too late for Ben this year.

Top Bottom