Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I assume this article showed up in some folks newsfeeds but I don't see where anyone has posted a link on TGT. If this is a dupe, someone PM me with a link and I'll merge the threads.

There are folks who talk about financial malfeasance and AckMack when they run for the NRA board. It's my impression most people don't understand the issues. That's not surprising; it's easy to get confused. You really need a long view to get any perspective on the situation. Unfortunately, the people who want to get on the NRA board and explain it to you are exactly the undesirable troublemakers that the board of the NRA likes to publicly disparage and definitely keep off the board.

This article is long but it covers a lot of ground about NRA finances. It also comes from an apparently unfriendly source. In this case, that's a good thing. The perspective of someone who wants to hurt the NRA is useful to all of us if we want to understand any weak points the NRA may have and work towards fixing them.

We already know the NRA has plenty of weak points but this article concentrates on the financial problems. The NRA relationship with Ackerman McQueen is presented in a semi-clear way for folks who aren't already familiar with the topic.

https://www.thetrace.org/features/n...ct-ackerman-mcqueen/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

PS, if you don't mind a little editorializing from me - Where the article talks about a cultural divide between the organization and the members, know that it's real. I saw it first-hand back in the 1980s. The problem has waxed and waned over time but, these days, it seems like it's as bad as it's ever been.
    Military Camp

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    All large organizations are corrupt to a certain degree, and members don't want their money pissed away. Especially since the 2nd Amendment is the most important one.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    I assume this article showed up in some folks newsfeeds but I don't see where anyone has posted a link on TGT. If this is a dupe, someone PM me with a link and I'll merge the threads.

There are folks who talk about financial malfeasance and AckMack when they run for the NRA board. It's my impression most people don't understand the issues. That's not surprising; it's easy to get confused. You really need a long view to get any perspective on the situation. Unfortunately, the people who want to get on the NRA board and explain it to you are exactly the undesirable troublemakers that the board of the NRA likes to publicly disparage and definitely keep off the board.

This article is long but it covers a lot of ground about NRA finances. It also comes from an apparently unfriendly source. In this case, that's a good thing. The perspective of someone who wants to hurt the NRA is useful to all of us if we want to understand any weak points the NRA may have and work towards fixing them.

We already know the NRA has plenty of weak points but this article concentrates on the financial problems. The NRA relationship with Ackerman McQueen is presented in a semi-clear way for folks who aren't already familiar with the topic.

https://www.thetrace.org/features/n...ct-ackerman-mcqueen/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

PS, if you don't mind a little editorializing from me - Where the article talks about a cultural divide between the organization and the members, know that it's real. I saw it first-hand back in the 1980s. The problem has waxed and waned over time but, these days, it seems like it's as bad as it's ever been.

Mike Spies if a phony left lackey colluding with the likes of Mother Jones and all the rest of the most left of the left wing of the Democrat party.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Mike Spies if a phony left lackey colluding with the likes of Mother Jones and all the rest of the most left of the left wing of the Democrat party.
    I accept that. In this case, his viewpoint is advantageous to us.

We all know that the NRA is screwing up lots of things. If we don't want to abandon it (I'm not casting aspersions on anyone who has chosen that path, btw.) then we need to know what's wrong so we can know what needs to be fixed. Perhaps the best sources of information about where an organization is screwing up will come from people who don't like that organization.

We need to listen to the whole Mother Jones/Leftist/2A-hating crowd so we can understand what they intend to attack and how. When we know that, we can know where our defenses need shoring up.

The article I linked was not an unfounded attack. It's not fake news. Even Jeff Knox says so.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I accept that....

We need to listen to the whole Mother Jones/Leftist/2A-hating crowd so we can understand what they intend to attack and how. When we know that, we can know where our defenses need shoring up.

The article I linked was not an unfounded attack. It's not fake news. Even Jeff Knox says so.

Ben, if this isn’t a call for members to take action and change the focus of the Association, I don’t know what is.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    I belong to the NRA, GOA and a couple of others. Membership in anti-gun control organizations does not have to be mutually exclusive. NRA-ILA, You can view the Form 990 filed by the NRA with the IRS. It's not a big secret what they do with the money. How many here even know of the Organizations structure and what the do. You have the CEO, NRA-ILA, General Operations, NRA Secretary, NRA Office of Advancement, NRA Board of Directors, NRA Publications, NRA Office of General Counsel. I always hear about the things the NRA doesn't do but nobody ever tells all the things that they do. Here is another article from Amm Land.

Suppose you wanted to put up a Public Range? How much do you suppose it would cost to do that? Planning, Designing, ect. Where could you go to do that? It wouldn't be inexpensive. Where could you get a grant?

Competitions, Law Enforcement Training, Youth Trainings and Competition. ect...ect....

The NRA is more than just a political organization. So help the NRA reach out to future generations of 2A Supoerters and train them as well. Get an NRA Membership.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/03/nra-range-services-did-you-know-this/#axzz5i5uCyzxZ

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

Suppose you wanted to put up a Public Range? How much do you suppose it would cost to do that? Planning, Designing, ect. Where could you go to do that? It wouldn't be inexpensive. Where could you get a grant?

I looked at doing that about 10 years ago. Appeared to be about $1M or so plus land to get going. Insurance and initial inventory would drive the pricing model for a start-up, which I think is why you see the new indoor clubs...volume is what it takes, memberships are pure profit, recurring monthly.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    I accept that. In this case, his viewpoint is advantageous to us.

We all know that the NRA is screwing up lots of things. If we don't want to abandon it (I'm not casting aspersions on anyone who has chosen that path, btw.) then we need to know what's wrong so we can know what needs to be fixed. Perhaps the best sources of information about where an organization is screwing up will come from people who don't like that organization.

May be advantages to YOU. I haven't established that opinion for my self yet. While WE are on that topic, just who exactly is all this "We" you are talking about? I don't recall filling out any polls.

I've heard a pretty fair dose of what those leftist scum bags want and none of it is good for me or with good intentions toward the rights and responsibilities of free American citizens. I was actually a subscriber to Mother Jones for many many years, probably ten years or more. How many articles have you read?

I think I've got a pretty fair view of it and Mike Spies is a commie scum bag and no one who is is his friend is any friend of mine. Don't look to me to shove a box under any of 'em as I walk past their gallows.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Some unnecessary smoke and innuendo in that article.

But some very serious allegations regarding excessive salaries, nepotism, insider dealing (perhaps rising to the level of fraud).

Any youngsters out there up on how to set up an online petition? Perhaps a large number of folks signing an petition might get some attention (or perhaps not).

Petition would call for the NRA prohibiting all nepotism (whether internal or external), limiting executive compensation, creating an outside review board to review and approve consulting contracts and any subcontracts over a certain annual dollar value.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    My contributions stopped a few years back as well. I was never big into the membership, choosing instead to contribute on a year to year basis. The more I learned, the more I just didn't feel comfortable with how it appeared my contributions were being used - so I just stopped sending them.

I figure if enough people do the same, either they'll figure it out and right the ship or another org. like GOA will rise to take their position.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    My contributions stopped a few years back as well. I was never big into the membership, choosing instead to contribute on a year to year basis. The more I learned, the more I just didn't feel comfortable with how it appeared my contributions were being used - so I just stopped sending them.

I figure if enough people do the same, either they'll figure it out and right the ship or another org. like GOA will rise to take their position.
    I kinda feel like the nra wont survive this one and the GOA may take the rightful spot on the throne. GOA is what the NRA is suppose to be

Top Bottom