• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Yeah, it's ironic. They sing about oppression them advocate Communism.

Go figure.

Still, I try to ignore their politics like I do w most actors and artists.
    Guns International

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've always found it kinda funny that libertarians love RATM (and I'm one of them) considering they look up to the likes of Che Guevara.
    Yeah and Rob Zombie is a Satanist, Isaac Hayes is a scientologist, Cat Stevens is a Muslim, and Lars Ulrich is an insufferable d-bag. Entertainers are often idiots. I try to not let it distract me form the art.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...Lars Ulrich is an insufferable d-bag. Entertainers are often idiots. I try to not let it distract me form the art.
    I try, too, but in the case of Lars...it was just too much.

If the record industry had bought out Napster and used it properly, artists would make more money; music would rarely be pirated and always be cheaper; and the movie industry would have had a good model to follow. When Lars and his buddies spearheaded the lawsuit that killed Napster, they damaged all performance art with their shortsightedness. He's since said his mea culpas but I've never been able to forgive him. I used to listen to "Metallica" (the album) all the damn time. Now, I change the station or, if at all possible in a public space, just get up and leave whenever I start to hear anything from the band.

The art of Lars Ulrich, including everything he's ever done and everything he ever will do, is nonexistent to me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Movie stars, singers, entertainers can trace their job back to the time of court jesters.

To give these people validity in the stupid things they come up with. To give them credence is the same as asking a five year old child, to accomplish foreign diplomacy.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    And Metallica is donating all proceeds from sales this month to Texas flood victim relief.
    Quandry.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I need to learn more about peer to peer networks that are off grid.
    • Start here: https://tails.boum.org/ ,
    • Download,
    • Burn to disc,
    • Boot from disc,
    • Explore (while doing NOTHING that links to your regular life),
    • Learn.
    Later, move on to I2P and Freenet.

Only after the above would I suggest trying the obfuscated P2P networks. The basic technology of P2P was deliberately designed to NOT be secure. For that reason, the (supposedly) secure versions are a bit of a mess and easy to misconfigure.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    • Start here: https://tails.boum.org/ ,
    • Download,
    • Burn to disc,
    • Boot from disc,
    • Explore (while doing NOTHING that links to your regular life),
    • Learn.
    Later, move on to I2P and Freenet.

Only after the above would I suggest trying the obfuscated P2P networks. The basic technology of P2P was deliberately designed to NOT be secure. For that reason, the (supposedly) secure versions are a bit of a mess and easy to misconfigure.

What is the difference between using Tails or just TOR itself?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    And Metallica is donating all proceeds from sales this month to Texas flood victim relief.
    Quandry.
    If you do enough bad things with your life and considerable power, as Metallica did, then it's only good PR to do some good stuff so that people will hate you less.

If they want to give money for flood relief, fine. If I worked for a charity, I'd be happy to take their money. Then I'd tell them they're not welcome to stay for dinner and show them the door.

Even major good deeds today cannot wipe clean a slate filled with the amount of damage they've done to the world in years past.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    What is the difference between using Tails or just TOR itself?
    Tails is easier for a beginner to not screw up. You throw in the disc and browse knowing that nothing touches your hard drive. If you install TOR (say, via the TBB), you run the risk of misconfiguring it and being identifiable over the network.

When I use TOR, I use TAILS. I give it permission to write to one scratch disk, only, so that I can save data. But I don't trust my own expertise enough to run TOR alongside my regular OS that lives on the hard drive that contains personally identifiable information.

With disk-installed TOR, you can, for example, misconfigure javascript and all of a sudden, the malicious operator of an onion site knows who you are. Freedom Hosting taught us that the FBI is not above some truly scurrilous tactics when they want to find someone badly enough. With TAILS, though, you have to go to quite a bit of trouble to screw up badly enough to reveal yourself.

TheDan originally asked about learning. For someone new to TOR, TAILS is, by far, the safest way to dip a toe in the water.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yep. He pretty much single handily set back content delivery systems 10 years.
    10 years?!? You are far too forgiving.

The Napster suit was filed in 2000 and Napster filed bankruptcy in 2002. Because of the actions he led, media delivery technology today is worse, in every way, than it was 15 years ago. It will take decades to recover and re-integrate distribution models, if it ever happens.

Lars didn't set back content delivery by 10 years. He destroyed it for the foreseeable future, creating problems that will almost certainly not be solved in my lifetime or his.

For different reasons, I feel about Lars like I feel about Richard Nixon. I would look forward to someday pissing on his grave if I didn't hate standing in lines so much.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Anybody remember a site called TOTSE?

Temple of the screaming electron.

It could not exist today. I've never seen the freedom to post whatever your heart desired, as on TOTSE. It was one of the very first "community sites".

In its later days, kids filled it up. The owner finally gave up on maintaining the server. The things on that server was pure freedom to say and talk about anything.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Tails is easier for a beginner to not screw up. You throw in the disc and browse knowing that nothing touches your hard drive. If you install TOR (say, via the TBB), you run the risk of misconfiguring it and being identifiable over the network.

When I use TOR, I use TAILS. I give it permission to write to one scratch disk, only, so that I can save data. But I don't trust my own expertise enough to run TOR alongside my regular OS that lives on the hard drive that contains personally identifiable information.

With disk-installed TOR, you can, for example, misconfigure javascript and all of a sudden, the malicious operator of an onion site knows who you are. Freedom Hosting taught us that the FBI is not above some truly scurrilous tactics when they want to find someone badly enough. With TAILS, though, you have to go to quite a bit of trouble to screw up badly enough to reveal yourself.

TheDan originally asked about learning. For someone new to TOR, TAILS is, by far, the safest way to dip a toe in the water.

OK, I have been using (not on a daily basis but mostly out of curiosity :) ) TOR downloaded from their site to a USB memory stick. Being a novice myself, I just as soon take your advice as well and use Tails, but if you get a moment, I would love to here more about what one does to misconfigure TOR. I don't remember it being all that hard or perhaps I took an "guided type" setup rather then a more in depth route that you would recommend.

Also, do you think it is OK to download Tails onto the same USB device as TOR or is it just being there going to interfere with the anonymity of Tails, if in fact it is misconfigured??

Sorry to swing OT here :)

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Anybody remember a site called TOTSE?

Temple of the screaming electron.

It could not exist today. I've never seen the freedom to post whatever your heart desired, as on TOTSE. It was one of the very first "community sites".

In its later days, kids filled it up. The owner finally gave up on maintaining the server. The things on that server was pure freedom to say and talk about anything.

I remember Totse. You could spend hours there reading about all sorts of things. I believe there is an archive site still up.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I remember Totse. You could spend hours there reading about all sorts of things. I believe there is an archive site still up.

I've seen the archives. There's a lot missing. Especially on how to make bombs, drugs, **** hard core with a neighbor, how empty out a movie theater with three ingredients, beating Wal-Mart security. Stealing power from a landline cord outlet...

The nitty gritty stuff folks chatted about on TOTSE.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom