Military Camp

O.K., I'm calling it: the .22RF drought is over.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Not even worth buying the 50rd boxes.

My Academy got in CCI Standard Velocity a few weeks back, so I stopped in every day to get my two box limit either before or after work. Five days later I had purchased a whole brick's worth for $35. I'd say that was worth it!
    Guns International

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Drought over, sure, I agree but, BUT just got a e mail flyer, BRICK (500 rds) Made in Mexico .22 LR $69.95, still got a drought at my house...

I remeber buying it at Wal Mart for $7.49 on sale, from $9.99 and I would buy 10 bricks when it went on sale...

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I got a brick of Federal Champion Friday from Academy for $25 total. Only thing is it's now 500 rds.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    My prediction that the shortage would be done by September 2014, has been proven massively wrong.

I'll admit my pessimism was overcome by my optimism.

Upon reflection, the shortage could have been stopped cold in it's tracks had the manufacturers looked at the sales numbers, and shifted production into 50 and 100 - round count boxes instead of bulk packs.

The mad rush for .22 LR would have stopped immediately if all that was available were 50 or 100 - round count boxes of ammo.

I can't remember that bulk-packs were even available in my youth.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    My prediction that the shortage would be done by September 2014, has been proven massively wrong.

I'll admit my pessimism was overcome by my optimism.

Upon reflection, the shortage could have been stopped cold in it's tracks had the manufacturers looked at the sales numbers, and shifted production into 50 and 100 - round count boxes instead of bulk packs.

The mad rush for .22 LR would have stopped immediately if all that was available were 50 or 100 - round count boxes of ammo.

I can't remember that bulk-packs were even available in my youth.

Interesting concept; but considering the packaging costs vs the product cost, I'd say the bulk packaging has to save significant money. I doubt there would be more than a handful of 'lost' sales if the 100 rnd sleeve became the smallest pack available(in the crummy stuff, that is...I understand smaller quantities for high-quality competition rounds).

Especially now(for the last half-decade), fifty round boxes of 'bulk' ammo just don't make a lot of sense to me.

mattl86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2014
    bowie texas
    I had a second job part time nights at walmart a few months ago, me and the salary manager was looking through the gm section and i asked him whats up with walmart and ammo. He flat out said they are no longer ordering it from the factory. The ammo you see is the ammo coming from stock at the warehouse and is one of the reasons they are/were putting the 3 box limit. Out here tho the limit only applies to 556.

Yes employees do have first dibs I got 4 boxes 50rnd of ccI stinger for my mp15-22 for i believe they were 5.80 a box(i dont remember the exact price). My boss got the rest.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The Wal-Marts around here are still getting hit by neckbeards.
    Academy Sports has had 22 every time I've been in for the last few weeks. It varies as to the type/brand and the 2 box limit is still in effect.

craftkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Rockport, Texas
    I had a second job part time nights at walmart a few months ago, me and the salary manager was looking through the gm section and i asked him whats up with walmart and ammo. He flat out said they are no longer ordering it from the factory. The ammo you see is the ammo coming from stock at the warehouse and is one of the reasons they are/were putting the 3 box limit. Out here tho the limit only applies to 556.

Yes employees do have first dibs I got 4 boxes 50rnd of ccI stinger for my mp15-22 for i believe they were 5.80 a box(i dont remember the exact price). My boss got the rest.
    Another reason to dislike Walmart.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    I'm able to find .22lr about a third of the time at the local retailers, though never in significant quantity. Oddly enough it's always been CCI standard velocity ammo, always priced at $5 per 50 rounds.

Considering that CCI has always been a bit more expensive (and worth it) than their competitors, I'm hoping Federal bulk and Winchester bulk drop to about 8 cents per round, but I'm not holding my breath. The market has proven that consumers are more than willing to pay 10 cents per round for ammo like Golden Bullets or Thunderduds.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Midway just canceled that back order of 1400 rounds from Nov 2013.

Not a sign that its "over"...

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    Midway just canceled that back order of 1400 rounds from Nov 2013.

Not a sign that its "over"...

Yea, they just cancelled the 5K 36gr I had on back order and the 5K 40gr I had on back order. I placed the orders before the big price jump. Funny thing though... they are now accepting orders for the same CCI Mini-mags but at the much higher price. Seems Larry is turning Midway into anther CTD with his BS.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Yea, they just cancelled the 5K 36gr I had on back order and the 5K 40gr I had on back order. I placed the orders before the big price jump. Funny thing though... they are now accepting orders for the same CCI Mini-mags but at the much higher price. Seems Larry is turning Midway into anther CTD with his BS.
    oooh - that ain't right.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    My Academy got in CCI Standard Velocity a few weeks back, so I stopped in every day to get my two box limit either before or after work. Five days later I had purchased a whole brick's worth for $35. I'd say that was worth it!

Brother, that is precisely what I have done for the past two years. It is a matter of discipline: Over time, two boxes at a time add up to a full case of 5,000 rounds. And the price is far better than the $4.99 asked by other places.

Looking forward to your next .22 accuracy report.

Be well.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Yesterday (Wednesday, December 10, 2014) was a monumental day to find .22 LR in Dirty 'Ol SA.

Got to the first Academy about 08:25 a.m. Walked over to the gun counter and observed two customers looking over the selection: Two boxes of 50 rounds of Aquila (High Velocity, Standard Velocity, and Colibri), Federal Match, or two boxes of Remington .22 Shorts?

They gave up on those offerings, when they were given the choice of one box of 500 Remington Thunderduds or one bucket of 1400 Remington Golden Bullets.

They chose the duds. I opted for the bucket of 1400 GB's.

Next stop was to WalMart, and they had no .22 LR on the shelf, so I bought my preferred brand of beer as I usually do.

Stopped at another Academy on the way home, and found a 525 count Winchester-Western bulk pack. Thinking the Ammo Gods had looked upon me favorably, I took a detour and drove to another Academy.

I did not purchase any of the bulk packs they had on the shelf at 11:30 a.m., as I had already bought more than I could shoot in six months.

I was tempted, but enough is enough.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    ... Looking forward to your next .22 accuracy report.

I seem to be stuck at approximately 0.75-inch groups no matter if I use mid-grade ammo (CCI-SV, Eley Target, Norma TAC, etc.) or even better/higher end stuff.

Thinking a new stock with proper bedding may be the next step, but we'll see. 'Tis the season to be busy with too much stuff to do.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I seem to be stuck at approximately 0.75-inch groups no matter if I use mid-grade ammo (CCI-SV, Eley Target, Norma TAC, etc.) or even better/higher end stuff.

Thinking a new stock with proper bedding may be the next step, but we'll see. 'Tis the season to be busy with too much stuff to do.

Run it through an old analog compressor 'til it looks like a tubafour from start to finish and you'll be fine.

Top Bottom