• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zippersnapper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Rosenberg
    My personal problem is their need to attempt any sort of dialogue with the police. Show up, film the entire encounter and remain silent, minus any legally required answers (if any) to LEs questions. Anything beyond that is counter productive.

Agree 100%. The camera should be rolling (which it is) and I would have my attorney's phone number on speed dial. Better yet, I would love to see an attorney present looking on the sidelines..

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    When your tactics arw of the sort that cause even those who support the same cause to question your intentions, you should adjust your tactics.

OCT is trying to use a sledgehammer to hang a picture on the wall. They have the same attitude as the LE they want to straighten out. "When egos collide".

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    One of the problems with that one livestream that I saw, was that he was the one holding the camera, so when they were arresting him, supposedly when he is accused of assaulting the officer, you couldn't see what was going on. I haven't seen any video that actually shows the point of assault. IMO if you are going to protest in a way that you know you may be arrested, or possibly worse, you really should have others videoing the incident too.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    d1b35ad66283618480dff7e6219f586c.jpg

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

OFFascist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX
    http://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/olmos-park-city-council-repeals-open-carry-ordinance

Olmos Park city council voted to repeal its open carry ordinance Thursday following the arrest of Open Carry Texas founder CJ Grisham.
    The city council gave a unanimous vote to repeal the ordinance. All members refused to give further comment, including Mayor Ronald Hornberger.

Now the police can no longer harass people with the excuse that they are checking for violations of city ordinances. We will have to see if that PD changes their ways, or if they just use different excuses to maintain the status quo.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    http://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/olmos-park-city-council-repeals-open-carry-ordinance

Now the police can no longer harass people with the excuse that they are checking for violations of city ordinances. We will have to see if that PD changes their ways, or if they just use different excuses to maintain the status quo.

While I applaud the effort and results, I still disagree with the need to have any words minus what is legally required, with LE during these interactions.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    So, why isn't OCT and Grisham doing the same in San Antonio for having the same ordinance?

Sec. 21-16. - Carrying loaded rifle or shotgun.

It shall be unlawful for any person, other than duly authorized peace officers, to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun on any public street within the city or in a motor vehicle while the same is being operated on any public street within the city.

(Code 1959, § 26-28)

Source

OFFascist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX
    So, why isn't OCT and Grisham doing the same in San Antonio for having the same ordinance?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that SAPD enforces that ordinance any longer. I do know in past years there were several open carry protests in San Antonio. Here is an article from 2014.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/l...estors-rally-at-police-substation-5381086.php

For the most part the open carry protests in Olmos Park were not about forcing the city to get rid of the ordinance (though that is a minor victory), I think the main objective is to get the police to stop enforcing such things and to respect the rights of people who open carry. They still have a bigger protest scheduled for April 7th, so I guess we will see how that goes.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    My personal problem is their need to attempt any sort of dialogue with the police. Show up, film the entire encounter and remain silent, minus any legally required answers (if any) to LEs questions. Anything beyond that is counter productive.
    /this\ Any colloquy they (the OCers) have "trying to teach the officers a 'lesson' or 'the law'" makes it more likely than less that a judge will interpret this as an interference with lawful authority. Just OC, walk about, wait for the police, follow their instructions silently, and let the TRVTH prevail when the video shows that no law was violated by the OCers. Of course, it's impossible for the OCers to know whether someone has called 911 and made a "person with a gun" complaint, which the police are obligated to check out. Just comply, comply, comply and let the courts see the silent compliance, which will be completely obvious on the video that you present.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Did he get arrested?

Has he filed a lawsuit to get this ordinance overturned / deemed unconstitutional?

If not, then its just starting shit, and making the rest of us look bad.

I saw on FB that the city council did indeed meet and overturned that law. So he did accomplish something with his getting tazed. And he likely can get some cash out of the city for getting roughed up.

But he still looked like an ass doing it.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    As I have mentioned before, myself and another member of this forum were the subject of a "concerned citizen" who called the police alleging "someone was shooting at a billboard at a Valero station" (according the officer who responded) while in fact what was going on was my buying a .22 rifle and checking out the scope by safely pointing it up into the air.

What transpired was a SAPD patrol car rolled up on us and the officer asked us a few questions. We politely answered, and offered to provide ID and/or the rifle to be inspected to prove it hadn't been fired. He declined and explained why he had to investigate. We clearly understood and cooperated the best we could. The entire encounter was over over with in a matter of minutes, and we freely went on our separate ways.

The obvious point is such situations can be quickly and easily resolved with both parties being respectful and cooperative with each other. I sincerely believe that is the case in the vast majority of instances, but OCT and Grisham go "above and beyond" to force the situation into a worst case scenario in attempts to forward their cause. What they end up doing is giving us all a bad name. Grisham is a narcissistic moron who doesn't let common sense get in the way of his actions. There are far more productive ways to improve police-gun owner relations, but he feels his confrontations are going to have a positive outcome in our favor. It just doesn't work that way, in fact his actions will ultimately result in all of us potentially being treated more harshly.

The sooner Grisham and OCT go away, the better...
    EXACTLY. :cheers:

Top Bottom