• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Also, if anyone wants to get 100 people with long guns walking through downtown Austin, you should probably look into whether you'll need some type of permit for such a group.
    Back when the 2A march was being organized, APD said they would arrest people for disorderly conduct if they carried a long arm. I'm guessing they'd do that any other day of the week as well.

edit: If you guys are serious about doing this, I think the way you should do it is first talk to some lawyers and build a legal team that's willing to fight tooth and nail for you. Second is perhaps setup a fund to pay for your inevitable bail and other legal fees. Then recruit people. Have at least 50 solid people or the event is called off. Meet on private property somewhere and rent a bus to take you downtown. Then just do something low key like have a picknick in the park. No "rally" or "march". You're just enjoying a sack lunch in the park with friends. Unfortunately I could see this backfiring and a large number of people start lobbying to make the carry of long guns illegal.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Back when the 2A march was being organized, APD said they would arrest people for disorderly conduct if they carried a long arm. I'm guessing they'd do that any other day of the week as well.

edit: If you guys are serious about doing this, I think the way you should do it is first talk to some lawyers and build a legal team that's willing to fight tooth and nail for you. Second is perhaps setup a fund to pay for your inevitable bail and other legal fees. Then recruit people. Have at least 50 solid people or the event is called off. Meet on private property somewhere and rent a bus to take you downtown. Then just do something low key like have a picknick in the park. No "rally" or "march". You're just enjoying a sack lunch in the park with friends. Unfortunately I could see this backfiring and a large number of people start lobbying to make the carry of long guns illegal.

The New Black Panther Party openly carried long arms in Austin a decade ago. Even went to the State capital. In Dallas, they routinely did it too. No big deal.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The New Black Panther Party openly carried long arms in Austin a decade ago. Even went to the State capital. In Dallas, they routinely did it too. No big deal.

They're different. They get special treatment and dispensation. We all know why...

Quanell X and his thugs open carry long arms pretty regularly, too. Not hassled for the same reasons.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Suggestions I would have: Slung rifles only. Across the back. I wouldn't do any tactical style slings, and certainly no single-points, since those aren't really built for no-hands carry.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

I'd like to get such a threat documented before any sort of long gun march/picnic.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    No sense trying to get OC of a handgun passed if you guys are afraid to carry a long arm, which has been legal for over 150 years...

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    You know, if we're serious about this, it's probably best to organize it through the NRA. We'd get a better turn-out and legal protection.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    "Inciting Panic", or whatever the legal term and specific PC are, is the gray area. Nowadays it seems like any public exercise of people's civil rights that may be unpopular, get the wrong officer(s) and while eventually charges may be dropped, you probably won't beat the ride and inconvenience of being arrested. If anyone honestly thinks this is not true, thinks that all officers will understand, no one will be arrested, and it won't be a big deal, then how about 100 of us go take a stroll around downtown Austin and see what happens? It may not be illegal, but there are certainly "legal" places where that doesn't necessarily mean someone (civilian or LEO) won't create a world of trouble for you. This is the end result of the topic of guns being made an irrational subject to be pushed in the back corner never to be discussed, and to be looked down upon by the public in general (or at least the media, politics, etc which influence the public mind). This should be a popular subject, people should be used to seeing firearms and think nothing of it, people should be used to public carry of firearms and think nothing of it. What I'm saying is, maybe we should exercise our rights a bit more, and maybe eventually people will be used to it again, and one day it will be a non-issue?

+1. This is the basis of the general public's fear. They're just not use to seeing it. Remember that the general poplus doesn't consist of only pro and anti gunners. There are many "tweeners" that don't have an opinion and will typically be unnerved by seeing open carry because they just don't see it enough. I lived in San Fransisco, I saw people peeing in public all the time. No one took notice, nor called the police, because they saw it constantly! So I guess I feel everyone should open carry and urninate in public!

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    No sense trying to get OC of a handgun passed if you guys are afraid to carry a long arm, which has been legal for over 150 years...
    This is Austin, the Liberal capital of Texas. Our Chief of Police came from California. Our Police force teamed up with ATF to run the gun show out of town. Combine a gun fearing public with the fact that some cops don't really bother to learn the laws, and you have a recipe for unpleasantness. I'm down for the march though.

And the lawsuit.

Top Bottom