• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I've mentioned my Paleo lifestyle before on this forum. Part of what goes into that is barefoot running. I know that some time back I posted about my Vibram Five Finger shoes and those are great - I recommend them. Only problem with that for me is that they aren't designed to be worn with socks and by Air Force regulations we are required to wear white socks with PT shoes.

2.jpg

Solution?

I just purchased a pair of the new barefoot New Balance Minimus shoes from Good Outdoors over on I-10 and DeZevala. I got to take them out yesterday and today as well.

image.php

These are great shoes and unlike the Vibrams these ARE designed to be worn with socks so they work perfectly with military regs.

I used to be the kinda guy that hated to run. It just made my body ache - my ankles, my knees, my hips. It was bad. Using barefoot running shoes forces me to use a proper running form and takes all of that stress off of my joints, so now I've gone from hating running to actually craving it. I wish we had shoes like these back when I played ice hockey and my coach had us running six miles forward and six miles backwards daily. It's funny that we'd have to advance shoe technology to be able to turn the clock back to our paleolithic running roots.

Do we have anyone else here that enjoys barefoot running?

Merrell also has a great shoe on the market for barefoot running.

MRL-W85535-020411.tif
    Texas SOT

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    The only shoe's I can wear are Sketchers. I have had so many foot injuries in the past, regular shoes kill me. Redwing boot's or Sketchers are about all I can tollerate. They keep the weight on my arches instead of my toes.

BTW, those first pair of shoes. Thats just buttass ugly!

Mikey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    San Antonio
    I've been running in VFFs for close to a year now, and can't imagine going back to regular shoes. I used to hate running, and am plagued by joint problems. Since getting the Five Fingers, I love to run. I do five to six miles a few times per week and have recently decided to train for Tough Mudder in October.

I'm fortunate in that I almost never do organized unit PT, so the AFI really doesn't present a problem for me. When I do have to, though, I have two ways of dealing with the sock thing- in the winter, I use toe socks. You can order them online, but I got mine at that hippie place up at the Quarry. I need the toe socks in the winter, because otherwise my feet hurt from the cold.

In the summer, I have a specially modified pair of ankle socks. I cut them so that they are really just for show, but they meet the requirements laid out in the AFI.

I did just see a commercial for the Reebok Reelflex. They look cool, but I'm not interested in paying $90 for something that can't possibly be better for me than my Five Fingers.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I've seen these. Like some have seen in my intro thread, I'm a well fed Texan, lol. I thought about the VFF but worried about the comfort or lack of cushioning which could result in shin splints or similar. Wife and I recently began walking more to build back up our running. Like Mikey said in his post, I too have signed up for a similar event also motivating me in my running abilities. I signed up for the November 19th Warrior Dash.
    I guess my lack of knowledge on the VFF kept me from getting. I've always bought the New Balance 1220's or 1225's as they were good from overweight/over pronating runners with my foot arch support.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I dont run anymore. Makes my feet hurt too bad.
    I have one of those eliptical machines. Think thats what you call it.
    I still love to foot the hill's though.

I have one of those in my garage holding my extension cords, lol. If I can clear out more space in my garage, then I can get to it. My problem with running is the boredom. When I first became a police officer I was running well. But during my FTO program I became so mentally exhausted that I held off all my workouts and eventually never went back. Hurting my back a year and a half ago wasn't very helpful either, lol.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I try to clear my mind and just focus on breathing and nothing else when I run. That's "me time". If I start thinking about all the stuff I've got to do and things like that then I'm just gonna stress myself out and running should be a stress reliever.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    true. I always ran on the typical 400m track. Maybe that is one of my problems. I think I need to try a trail run of some sort. Where I can run focused on time rather than distance for now. Maybe it'll make it more causal and not such a formality like it feels now.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I have one of those in my garage holding my extension cords, lol. If I can clear out more space in my garage, then I can get to it. My problem with running is the boredom. When I first became a police officer I was running well. But during my FTO program I became so mentally exhausted that I held off all my workouts and eventually never went back. Hurting my back a year and a half ago wasn't very helpful either, lol.
    That's funny. I actually got my machine given to me by someone who was using it as a hat rack.
    I use t olove running, but my feet dont like it anymore. That's what that machine is good for, low impact.
    I have had more damn injuries than I want to remember. Oh well, life makes you tuff.

Mikey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    San Antonio
    I've seen these. Like some have seen in my intro thread, I'm a well fed Texan, lol. I thought about the VFF but worried about the comfort or lack of cushioning which could result in shin splints or similar. Wife and I recently began walking more to build back up our running. Like Mikey said in his post, I too have signed up for a similar event also motivating me in my running abilities. I signed up for the November 19th Warrior Dash.
    I guess my lack of knowledge on the VFF kept me from getting. I've always bought the New Balance 1220's or 1225's as they were good from overweight/over pronating runners with my foot arch support.

VFFs require you to change everything about your running style. The typical heavy heel strike style, if done in VFFs, would be excruciatingly painful. The proper mid-foot strike does take some getting used to, but that style is the reason I can run without joint pain now.

If you do decide to try it out, I would recommend starting very small and working up, especially if you are very overweight. Like I said before, my average run is in the 5-6 mile range, but you can't just start there. You literally need to start at like 1/4 mile and then slowly work your way up. If your body is not conditioned for this style of running and you just take off for a couple of miles, you may find yourself too sore to walk the next day.

If you have questions, please let me know. I'm always happy to help.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    so it almosts transitions your running style from being such a high impact to a lesser form? Sounds interesting. May have to try it. Have a couple friends with them that have said similar.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    true. I always ran on the typical 400m track. Maybe that is one of my problems. I think I need to try a trail run of some sort. Where I can run focused on time rather than distance for now. Maybe it'll make it more causal and not such a formality like it feels now.

Off road parkour with barefoot shoes = Win

Talk about a workout.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    GEEZ! I would rather set myself on fire than run on a track! Trail runs are SO much better.
    I learned a long time ago - if you keep the run interesting, distance completely escapes you!

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Don't have time to make a post, so here's a good vid I found:

I respond later today as I have a LOT of thoughts on this.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I totally agree with the whole barefoot running, or "pose running" thing or whatever else it's called these days (I call it normal running lol). When I was a kid, I used to always run around outside barefoot whenever possible. Even if there was stickers or other nasty stuff on the ground, I still tended to prefer being as close to barefoot as possible. It just felt better. The funny thing is how some very basic, yet important, fundamentals in footwear have been overlooked for so long. It's hilarious that anyone should have to be trained how to run properly nowadays, in freaking 2011! We know how to do this properly, barefoot, as kids. Somewhere along the way we just forget.

Over the last 4 years or so I've gotten pretty out of shape, though I'm working on turning things around and getting in the best shape of my life (still quite a ways away at this point). I've been learning a hell of a lot about nutrition in the past 2-3yrs. I'll say this much, once you start paying attention to nutrition and start attempting to cut artificial crap out of your "nutritional plan" (I hate using the word diet, implies it's temporary), it gets insanely annoying just how much effort it takes to find truly healthy food. Still, it's vital. You wouldn't want to put 87 octane in your highly modified sports car if you had a choice! ;) I also fully subscribe to the idea of interval cardio or high intensity interval cardio training mixed with muscle building. I guess Crossfit is pretty much the same thing too.

CW, what are your thoughts on really minimalist shoes? I'm not talking the VFF, but regular shoes just extremely thin, lightweight, with very little sole so it's as close to barefoot as possible. Have any experience with Salomon footwear? I'm hearing good things about them, and they seem to be pretty high quality:
    Shop Footwear for Men, Women & Kids - Brms.com

Also, the Merrell Trail Glove seems to be pretty nice and minimalist:

Merrell Barefoot Trail Glove for Men - Brms.com

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I dont get it. Hows it barefoot running if yer wearing shoes?:1zhelp:
    The shoe conforms to the foot, to include the individual toes, and has no cushioning on the bottom (though it does have traction).
    It flexes unlike a regular shoe, so that your foot behaves the way it would if you were running barefoot.

Top Bottom