• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    By the way Clockwork, you can probably wear those things with really thin socks so that you appear to be satisfying the requirement for wearing socks.
    The trick to making it work with the toes? Cut the toe area off of the sock!
    Ta-daa!
    Guns International

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Someone was wearing the toe shoes in a krav class last week. Just remembered it after seeing this vid.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I wonder if they come in a Camel color?
    Then you can tell everyone that you bought a new pair of camel-toes, and quickly exit the room to leave them pondering "Did he just say what I thought he said?"

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    With normal shoes, you have a significant heel pad which biases your foot towards wanting to land on the heel instead of the balls and/or mid section of your feet. With training, apparently at least some people can learn to run properly even wearing regular shoes. I've tried running properly (landing on the balls/mid section of the foot) wearing regular shoes, and it just plain feels weird. Having a shoe that does not artificially increase the heel height makes it a lot easier to run like your feet were designed to. Landing on the balls/mid section of your foot lets your entire foot and lower body to act as a shock absorber. Landing on the heels of your feet transfers ALL that impact force directly through your entire body and is extremely stressful. It can also lead to lots of injuries and health problems in the long term.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    This is cool. Lately I've been running with my son (11 years old) to help him out of his video game body. Since I tend to run faster and want to keep up with him, I changed my running style from the heel strike to more of the toe strike as illustrated above. I also raised my knees higher on each bound to burn more calories over less ground. I had no idea this was the physics behind the vibram barefoot running shoes! I was amazed at how easy it felt to run that way. I also notice it naturally gives your body a springing forward motion that subtely pushes you to run faster.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    This website never fails to deliver. Even on non-gun topics I learn new stuff. Too bad I hate running. Back in high school, we had to run a 5-mile warmup before the wrestling coach got there. HATED IT.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I may have to try a set. For grins, I did a short jog in my socks. While at first I intentionally ran on the balls of my feet, over a little bit, it did tend to naturally transition to a more comfortable position away from the heel strike...interesting.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    At first, when doing the barefoot/pose running thing, it works out the muscles in your lower body (calves especially) quite a bit more than you may be used to, so expect so new aches for a short while when you're body is getting used to it. I had to stop running years ago because I would get shin splints bad, plus I ended up getting a couple of slipped discs in my lower back. Using the typical heel strike running, these problems would get aggravated pretty bad. Barefoot running does feel a lot less stressful to me. Might be worth considering for those of you that have any physical pains or other issues that regular heel strike running exacerbates.

I call VFF's monkey boots. ;) The first couple times people see someone wearing them, they almost freak out, wondering what the hell is that?!

Eric, we aim to please. ;)

DallasCJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Richardson
    I've been running with the VFF KSO shoes since my last PT test in Oct 10. During the winter I used them with toe socks I got at the running store and they worked fine. Kept my feet from freezing. You probably need to try them to make sure you don't have problems with them, though. On long runs, they did tend to rub to the point that I almost had blisters a couple of times. I also just recently saw the Merrells and Cabela's has them so I may check them out just for wear with shorts. I saw the Reebok's at JCPenney and I was not impressed. They are a cheap knock off on the concept. The sole is stiff and thick, almost like a regular shoe.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    How are the VFFs for everyday wear? Or are they just for running?

I have seen people at work wearing them, I think some folks wear them Daily without any issues. I may start out that way since I still have about 30 more lbs to get rid of before I want to start running again..

Top Bottom