• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PocketGroove

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    DFW
    Just wanted to chime in. I hate running. For 5 years, my job made me wake up at the crack of dawn and run. I'm pretty good at it, but I hate it.

I love running in my five fingers, but that's not why I got'em.

Arnold and many other body builders used to train barefoot or in very flat shoes such as Chuck Taylors. If you LIFT weights....and I mean REALLY throw around free weights you owe it to yourself to check out some five fingers.

Running shoes and cross trainers have elevated heel pads engineered for forward momentum and designed to cushion the heavy heel strikes of your average jogger's stride. Doing heavy deadlifts or squats with an elevated heel is setting yourself up for failure and injury. I don't think there is any more stable shoe than Vibrams, and after you become a convert, typical running shoes feel like stilts. For me, it's Vibrams, Clarks, or Berks.

Also, i like guns.
    Hurley's Gold

DBDawg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    Mont Belvieu, TX
    >>Chunky...cool, she has 1 1/2 years left to finish her Public Relations degree. Seems like a good area to live. Wish I would have found this site earlier...she doesn't know that many people in the area and it would be good to have contacts in case of emergencies.

Mikey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    San Antonio
    Oh yeah. I also wear my VFFs as water shoes at the lake and when I float the river. They're awesome for that.

Sadly, they have been sitting in the closet for the last two months. I broke the hell out of my big toe running in them at night, and have been ordered not to do any running until the podiatrist clears me. I see him again Tuesday morning, so hopefully he'll give me the green light then. Not running is making me nuts, and I'm not sure how much longer my wife can take it.

proforguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Pipe Creek
    Ok Ive been a cyclist for the last 25 years of my life Jan 2009 I ran my first marathon tore up my knees and tore my Achilles tendon.Found out I needed to learn to NOT heel strike NO WAY IN HELL could I learn to tolerate shoe gloves (toe claustrophobia) So trying it on my own after about 5 or 6 miles I revert back to heel striking .For those of us who cant stand toe gloves Newtons (and alot of cash) seem to be the option.If your serious about changing your running style try these.(disclaimer:I have not tried them I still have alot of shoes I have not worn out yet)Newton Running View attachment 9672

ArielT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Just got my first pair of Vibram Five Fingers TrekSport. Going to try cycling in them... Maybe some light running. Certainly they feel great to drive with.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Take it easy at first, your calves aren't used to the abuse. Once you start building up the tiny muscles and tendons in your feet and calves you'll be able to take on bigger roles with the Vibrams. A lot of people attempt to do too much too soon with the shoes and end up injuring themselves.

ArielT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Take it easy at first, your calves aren't used to the abuse. Once you start building up the tiny muscles and tendons in your feet and calves you'll be able to take on bigger roles with the Vibrams. A lot of people attempt to do too much too soon with the shoes and end up injuring themselves.
    Yeah, I plan to take any running I do rather slow. What about cycling, though? Do you know anything on the matter?

ArielT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well, I can report they work pretty well for bicycling. The hardest part is getting your balance on the pedal without a stable base to push, but it does make it easier to grip the pedals. Did 10 miles yesterday and my feet and legs feel alright, may try something longer. Did notice some soreness in my arch during the cycling, but that went away when I hit the 5 mile mark.

Arnold and many other body builders used to train barefoot or in very flat shoes such as Chuck Taylors. If you LIFT weights....and I mean REALLY throw around free weights you owe it to yourself to check out some five fingers.
    I find being able to press against the shoe in Chuck Taylors tends to be helpful. Tried Vibrams and it's really just not as stable for me as my Chucks.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I do NOT know about how barefoot running shoes affect cycling but I'd be interested to hear about it. My only advice is to take it slow to prevent injury.

proforguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Pipe Creek
    Cycling is all about cadence. For recreation and slow riding they shouldnt be a problem but any serious riding should be done with clipless pedals so you can maintain proper cadence and work the full leg.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    BAM! Just got a pair of bikilas.

IMAG0533.jpg

Top Bottom