• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    lol...I teach Krav Maga for Law Enforcement. I think I'm going to get a set of these in Camouflage so I can get the funny looks next time I have a class, lol.

Looking at their site, they're not just a daily shoe. They have so many different variations of the shoe for running, walking, trails, water, etc. interesting. I may have to try the KSO since it seems those are the only offered in camo, but the Komodo line looks good too.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I can't wait to see your knees and ankles in ten years, dude...

Here's a tip: Wear decent running shoes. It'll save you a lot of pain in the long run.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I can't wait to see your knees and ankles in ten years, dude...

Here's a tip: Wear decent running shoes. It'll save you a lot of pain in the long run.

Funny, there are a lot of people out there saying heel-strike running in regular shoes is one of the reasons so many people that run a lot have so many physical conditions and injuries later in life. One method acts as a shock absorber. The other acts as a direct shock transfer to your entire body.

Blackthorne

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Houston
    I wear the Vibram FiveFingers when running and although they take some getting used to...I havnt had foot pain since I started training with them.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    lol...I teach Krav Maga for Law Enforcement. I think I'm going to get a set of these in Camouflage so I can get the funny looks next time I have a class, lol.

Looking at their site, they're not just a daily shoe. They have so many different variations of the shoe for running, walking, trails, water, etc. interesting. I may have to try the KSO since it seems those are the only offered in camo, but the Komodo line looks good too.

Dude, you look more like a judo instructor to me.
    I just LOL'd.

MuddyWaterMan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Well after letting this thread roll around in my head for a while I decided to give them a shot. Just have to find them in a a 15. Any recommendations on where to find them in larger sizes?

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I have been wearing KSO's for PT for almost 8 months now. Let me start off by saying I have been in Iraq for that time and a lot of the running I do is on gravel. Most of my real "running" is part of crossfit, otherwise I am on the treadmill or the more often the elliptical. With the KSO's and injinji socks I have gone from having sore knees after PT to not. I did try running in "normal running shoes" recently and that made me hurt quite a bit.

The military here are not allowed to wear VFF because the CSM for USF-I has a hard on against them, but a lot of us contractors wear them. Only thing that sucks for me is I have had to stop letting the KBR people wash my gym cloths. At 12 bucks a pair and the socks being right or left foot specific it can get expensive if they lose a couple of my socks.. They always seemed to lose the left one for some reason before I found a washer/dryer to wash them in myself.

One important thing about the VFF is that it takes a while to get used to them because you have to retrain your muscles and joints to not rely on unnatural support from traditional running shoes.

@muddywaterman, check REI. The stores in Austin tend to have the big sizes in stock but not the smaller sizes.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Well after letting this thread roll around in my head for a while I decided to give them a shot. Just have to find them in a a 15. Any recommendations on where to find them in larger sizes?

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
    They don't use american sizing. Try sun and ski sports though.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I wear mine everywhere since I picked them up a couple weeks ago.

They dethroned my crocks as my favorite pair of shoes.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2011
    El Paso
    I've been debating getting the VFFs for awhile now. The problem is that they're so popular right now and have been for a long time. I remember awhile ago that Vibram was completely sold out and scrambling to get extra resources to keep up with the high demand. They still don't have my size and I've been checking regularly on their site, but is there a different place to get them from? Online, at the store?

But I have a few questions about them. I've talked to friends who have them and, not surprisingly, it does take awhile to get used to the barefoot aspect of running (completely understandable), but I've also heard that it is a pain to switch back to regular running shoes. As the VFFs are not approved Army-wide (currently it is by Commander's discresion) and probably won't be acceptable to wear for an APFT/Unit PT, I'd have to wear regular shoes during PT. Not to mention boots while in uniform. Will this constant switching of shoes do more harm than good? I'm willing to try something new to improve my running. I'm currently at a 295/300 for my APFT and at a 13:14 for my 2 Mile Run time, but improvement is still good. But I don't want to constantly be in pain or have my legs/calves be more sore than they should be.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Everyone posting about the Injinji toe socks - I know. I have like 20 pairs. Thing is, the shoes weren't designed for socks. Actually I usually wear the Injinji socks with my Newbalance Minimus shoes and today I wore some different socks, some Coolmax ones, while doing lap sprints. Ended up with a nice blister. Kinda P.O.ed.

DBDawg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    Mont Belvieu, TX
    Well, I keep coming back to this thread...mulling over getting some VFFs. Think I'm gonna have to jump in and try some out. My knees always hurt after jogging (haven't jogged in years because of it) so I'm hoping I can train myself to run correctly and lose the pain...along with the 40 extra pounds I'm carrying.
    BTW...Clockwork...if you shop at I-10 & Dezevala, you're not far from where my daughter goes to college (UTSA). Nice to know there are members in her area.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Well, I keep coming back to this thread...mulling over getting some VFFs. Think I'm gonna have to jump in and try some out. My knees always hurt after jogging (haven't jogged in years because of it) so I'm hoping I can train myself to run correctly and lose the pain...along with the 40 extra pounds I'm carrying.
    BTW...Clockwork...if you shop at I-10 & Dezevala, you're not far from where my daughter goes to college (UTSA). Nice to know there are members in her area.

My wife and I don't live too far from the area. My wife graduated from UTSA in May of 2004

Top Bottom