• ...and so much more!
  • Aj Weaver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Little Elm
    Personally.

If it were legal I would not do it.

I can respect that. It is a personnel choice and if you don't feel comfortable that is fair. I personally choose to carry openly every chance I get. I don't feel as comfortable carrying concealed as I do openly. Given the choice I will ALWAYS carry openly. So I can understand and respect your position.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    I get that. I would not do it often. But no one should be able to put me in jail if I chose to either.

This^.

We live in the United States of America, not the peoples republic of timid soccer moms. We need to stop allowing people that have a severe bias towards guns and related activities make the rules of use and carry for us.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Found this gem on another site:

If Zimmerman were open carrying, Trayvon would have left him alone. CCW is a surprise, a nasty surprise, to criminals.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Ok, I am not going to open up a new thread for this, but since it is somewhat on topic Ill ask it here if someone can come up with an answer.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but please do not do so in the fashion that seems to have taken over this thread...

If I get pulled over, why am I required to tell the officer I have a gun in the car/on me if I am a CHL holder, but I don't have to speak a word of it if I have it in my car without the CHL? Is this just a rip in the seam or what?

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    No declaration required any longer. Ive herd its common courtesy to hand them your CHL along with license. It may get you off with a warning as well but this is just a rumor. I've never experienced it myself.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    No declaration required any longer. Ive herd its common courtesy to hand them your CHL along with license. It may get you off with a warning as well but this is just a rumor. I've never experienced it myself.

I was just reading that on a different forum.

I don't have my chl, not really interested in getting it. I don't go anywhere and I live in a retirement town.. The reason I asked is when my dad got his chl a few years ago, the instructor told him, "when you get pulled over, place the weapon on the dash along with your chl license and place your hands on the wheel"... To me, this might make an officer's butt pucker, seeing someone fiddling with a gun, while running plates. He never subscribed to the idea, but went along with it to appease the instructor. Between that, and reading different forums on the subject, there was no real clear cut answer which drew my question.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

I don't have my chl, not really interested in getting it. I don't go anywhere and I live in a retirement town.. The reason I asked is when my dad got his chl a few years ago, the instructor told him, "when you get pulled over, place the weapon on the dash along with your chl license and place your hands on the wheel"... To me, this might make an officer's butt pucker, seeing someone fiddling with a gun, while running plates. He never subscribed to the idea, but went along with it to appease the instructor. Between that, and reading different forums on the subject, there was no real clear cut answer which drew my question.

That's horrible advice. That instructor should not be teaching.

The answer is that there is still a rule in the Gov code which requires CHL holders to present the CHL when ID is demanded, but the Legislature removed all penalties in 2009 because it was ridiculous for CHL holders to be required to disclose when non CHL holders did not have to.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ

That advice will get someone shot.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    If I get pulled over, why am I required to tell the officer I have a gun in the car/on me if I am a CHL holder, but I don't have to speak a word of it if I have it in my car without the CHL? Is this just a rip in the seam or what?

You are required to inform because that is how the CHL law was setup years ago.

Then along came the Motorist Protection Act, and those non-CHLs were not required to inform, since they did not have a license to begin with.

Then the silliness of this was pointed out, and in their infinite wisdom, the Texas Legislature decided to remove the penalty for failing to inform, instead of removing the requirement to inform. So now we are left with this silly situation where you still must inform, but failure to do so carries no penalty.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    That's horrible advice. That instructor should not be teaching.

The answer is that there is still a rule in the Gov code which requires CHL holders to present the CHL when ID is demanded, but the Legislature removed all penalties in 2009 because it was ridiculous for CHL holders to be required to disclose when non CHL holders did not have to.

That is what I wasn't understanding, glad they straightened that out a bit.

That advice will get someone shot.

You aren't kidding... My dad was just perplexed by the notion... He took the class with several friends and everyone else left with the same thoughts my dad had. It absolutely makes no sense.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    You are required to inform because that is how the CHL law was setup years ago.

Then along came the Motorist Protection Act, and those non-CHLs were not required to inform, since they did not have a license to begin with.

Then the silliness of this was pointed out, and in their infinite wisdom, the Texas Legislature decided to remove the penalty for failing to inform, instead of removing the requirement to inform. So now we are left with this silly situation where you still must inform, but failure to do so carries no penalty.

Bunch of brain-dead know-it-alls. Is being devoid of common sense a prerequisite to run for any sort of government position.

Top Bottom