Target Sports

Pot Use Disqualifies You as a Gun owner/Purchaser!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    There isn't a manufacturing, chemical, or oil plant I know of that will hire you if you test positive for drugs. Marijuana stays in your system for months. A positive test for alcohol will also get you fired, but it metabolizes very quickly, so it is easier for drinkers to keep their jobs (though the hard-core ones usually will get caught).

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There isn't a manufacturing, chemical, or oil plant I know of that will hire you if you test positive for drugs. Marijuana stays in your system for months. A positive test for alcohol will also get you fired, but it metabolizes very quickly, so it is easier for drinkers to keep their jobs (though the hard-core ones usually will get caught).

I work an office job for a big company and had to pass drug test as well.

2sam22

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Georgetown, TX
    Did y'all know you can be prohibited from possession of a firearm with 2 arrests for, but no convictions for, a CDS offense? The prohibitor drops off after a year from the last CDS arrest.

Sent from God blessed Texas.

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    The citizen side of me says "legalize everything and let it all play out."
    The construction business owner side of me says "hell, I'd have no workforce anymore"

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Heavy industrial.
    We have random drug testing that rolls over every 6 months. Everyone gets tested.
    We have no room for that $}{!T out here

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Heavy industrial.
    We have random drug testing that rolls over every 6 months. Everyone gets tested.
    We have no room for that $}{!T out here
    You would be surprised. People say drugs last in your system for so long but the fact is that they don't. We've been lied to and when I worked construction in Bryan we got randomly tested also and guys that talked openly about meth, coke, pills, even acid (some kind called Beavis and Butthead) never failed a test. They said as long as they're clean on Monday they can pass a test on Wednesday and Thursdays- that's when we tested. They also said weed only shows up in tests up to 4-6 days and they said no1 tests for shrooms.
    i worked in Bryan for a electrical contractor and a supply house and saw guys from all trades that were on drugs or talking out taking drugs at home everyday.

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Correct. I didn't say that none used. I said on the job.
    Coke can be out of your system insanely quick. Depending on use, weed can be out in a day or two.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Correct. I didn't say that none used. I said on the job.
    Coke can be out of your system insanely quick. Depending on use, weed can be out in a day or two.
    The problem with drug testing is that it detects metabolites that stay in the body after the user isn't under the influence. If we had cheap tests that could determine if a user is under the influence when driving/working/they shouldn't be it would be best for stud de criminalization.
    Then we could determine if someone is fit to work without infringing on their freedom to do whatever they want in their free time at home or on vacation or whatever.

Full disclosure- I don't do drugs and I get tested randomly every 4 months and could get tested anytime I step foot on a facility or field office. I just don't feel like the gov is being fair with drugs like it is with alcohol, tobacco, prescription drugs, or fat people. I also think that addiction is a plague that is built into our brains that will never go away and legal or illegal, addicts will be addicted.

Being fat is just as bad or worse for the country as many drugs. Just look at the most common diseases that kill people and they are all related to being overweight/obese. It's pretty irresponsible to not live a healthy lifestyle, but don't take away the freedoms we have to have fun/wind down however we choose.
    edit- and gov, don't make us choose between our past times and gun ownership. That's clearly an infringement on our rights.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The problem with drug testing is that it detects metabolites that stay in the body after the user isn't under the influence. If we had cheap tests that could determine if a user is under the influence when driving/working/they shouldn't be it would be best for stud de criminalization.
    Then we could determine if someone is fit to work without infringing on their freedom to do whatever they want in their free time at home or on vacation or whatever.

Full disclosure- I don't do drugs and I get tested randomly every 4 months and could get tested anytime I step foot on a facility or field office. I just don't feel like the gov is being fair with drugs like it is with alcohol, tobacco, prescription drugs, or fat people.

Being fat is just as bad or worse for the country as many drugs. Just look at the most common diseases that kill people and they are all related to being overweight/obese. It's pretty irresponsible to not live a healthy lifestyle, but don't take away the freedoms we have to have fun/wind down however we choose.

Thats one view. I have had jobs where we couldn't do drugs because it showed poor character and would harm my effectiveness by image not performance. I also had a job where you couldnt do drugs as it would show poor judgement, connect me with illegal elements and make me a vulnerable target.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Thats one view. I have had jobs where we couldn't do drugs because it showed poor character and would harm my effectiveness by image not performance. I also had a job where you couldnt do drugs as it would show poor judgement, connect me with illegal elements and make me a vulnerable target.
    Being responsible is what really has more to do with gun ownership that casual/responsible drug use. I drink on the weekends and on occasion during the week watching games but I'm responsible and unarmed while I drink not only because it's the law- because I'm responsible. I carry a knife all the time but I'm responsible with it. If I substituted mj or cocaine use for alcohol (though I would never ever ever use coke in a million years/ weed I don't really consider a drug especially vs alcohol) and I was still responsible with my firearms why should I give up the right to own them?

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Hear! Hear!

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    You are all assuming that qualifying for a medical marijuana card gets "filed" anywhere further than the doctor who gives it to you or the places you shop at. At the moment a federal registry of guns and medical users would have to exist and that isn't happening. It's an interesting thought but completely pointless conjecture at this point. Unless a trend of disqualifying users of prescribed medication from firearms ownership begins I highly doubt pot use as a medical issue would ever come up even in the future. Although I will add I can easily see that situation developing where all prescribed medication gets you disqualified so unfortunately anything is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    You are all assuming that qualifying for a medical marijuana card gets "filed" anywhere further than the doctor who gives it to you or the places you shop at. At the moment a federal registry of guns and medical users would have to exist and that isn't happening. It's an interesting thought but completely pointless conjecture at this point. Unless a trend of disqualifying users of prescribed medication from firearms ownership begins I highly doubt pot use as a medical issue would ever come up even in the future. Although I will add I can easily see that situation developing where all prescribed medication gets you disqualified so unfortunately anything is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

It's certainly on their agenda and I think that was the point. IF indeed it did came to that, anyone that owns guns who also have a prescription could easily have their rights suspended all the while thinking they are OK since the state is allowing it.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Legalize them all.
    So, to continue our conversation from yesterday: This is something you and I will never agree on Salty. Have you seen the news reports about the mayhem caused by K2, Angel Dust and Bath salts? Libertarians like to say that it's their decision and they will bear the consequences of their own bad decisions....but what about the victims of drug abusers who have a psychotic episode? Isn't it reasonable and natural for societies to set up rules and enforce them? Even the early Native Americans had tribal councils, set up rules and regulations and enforced them else their society would devolve into chaos.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    If you are going to buy a gun, take it home and suck on a doobie while admiring the gun you are a liar and Uncle Stupid is known for frowning on telling fibs on their papers. I'd say your gun "rights" are at risk.

profound thinking about stuff

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    So, to continue our conversation from yesterday: This is something you and I will never agree on Salty. Have you seen the news reports about the mayhem caused by K2, Angel Dust and Bath salts? Libertarians like to say that it's their decision and they will bear the consequences of their own bad decisions....but what about the victims of drug abusers who have a psychotic episode? Isn't it reasonable and natural for societies to set up rules and enforce them? Even the early Native Americans had tribal councils, set up rules and regulations and enforced them else their society would devolve into chaos.

That's a good point, but it doesn't follow the history of drug abuse in America. Most of the harmful effects of drug use on society have occurred after they became illegal.

Top Bottom