Join TexasGunTalk

Potential Move to Austin

Discussion in 'Austin' started by SQLGeek, Jul 24, 2019.

1. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Wheel Gun Nut TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Eh, turns out I'm pretty good at what I do. You certainly don't want me working on power lines. ;)

Southpaw likes this.
  2. grumper

grumper TGT Addict

Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    No gun shows. Very few rifle ranges. Only 1 range that allows rapid fire in the tactical bay. Half the population of Houston but traffic is just as bad or worse. Bums on every street corner.

Working downtown the metro train is probably the least stressful way to get there and back.

If the tech job market wasn't so hot here there would be no redeeming factor.

3. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Well, that’s not convenient to anywhere you’d like to live. On the NW side, Williamson County with easy access to MoPac or 183 is where I’d start. Your not far from a couple of outdoor ranges a little further north. Liberty Hill ISD if you can hack that commute.

Southwest, look somewhere off 71 in Hays County. Don’t know what ranges are around there.

Bastrop might not be a bad idea, but I don’t know squat about that area other than it’s growing, too.

SQLGeek, Darkpriest667 and Bozz10mm like this.
  4. Vaquero

Vaquero San Saba Songbird

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    Just say no.

5. innominate

innominate Active Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Agree with todd. Getting to and from downtown during rush hour is not great. It's not as bad as houston but it's not far behind. Like grumper said the rail could be an option if you live north, leander area. But Its only a little faster than sitting in traffic. It's 1 line so the stops may or may not be convenient to your destination.

As long as I can remember, my brother moved here 30 years ago. austin has tried to portray itself as forward thinking and progressive. At least that was one of my perceptions of the city. But I learned years ago that its lack of infrastructure, poor city planning and local politics (and I'm from Louisiana! ) this city is just smoke and mirrors. That being said I do live here. But I don't call it home. I call Nola home :) I kinda went off on a tangent. I blame it on the bourbon. Carry on.

SQLGeek likes this.
  6. FireInTheWire

FireInTheWire Ego kills talent TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    You have any leverage as far as adjusting your times to beat traffic early/late? My Dad was good at his job and they gave him leeway. Just a thought.... pound that chest man.

SQLGeek and Sam7sf like this.
  7. toddnjoyce

toddnjoyce TGT Addict

Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I was born and raised in Pflugerville, back when the farmers grew maize or corn and not houses.

Austin lost the infrastructure game probably as far back as ‘88. There ain’t enough money and time to fix it, either; and even if there was, the land prevents it. So there’s no real fix to that.

The city is inward looking, not forward looking.
    [/QUOTE]

BubbaJon, Chirpy, SQLGeek and 6 others like this.
  8. TundraWookiee

TundraWookiee Scruffy Nerf Herder TGT Supporter

Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Pretty much this. I personally have always hated Houston and the hill country around here makes dealing with the idiots worth it to me but I still wish we could ship some of them back to their states. If you have to work in downtown then I'd try to get hours off of peak rush hour. I live north and work north, could definitely not do that daily commute into downtown.

BubbaJon and SQLGeek like this.
  9. Fosty 2.0

Fosty 2.0 Member

Mar 28, 2019
    Austin
    I had a good time at Lonestar range down in Lockhart, which also seemed like a nice place.

SQLGeek likes this.
  10. karlac

karlac Gone fishin' ... TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

Aug 21, 2013
    WestU, TX
    Built a custom home for a client between Manor and Elgin a few years back.
    Stayed in Austin (Shoal Creek Blvd/2222 area) almost a year.
    Going West on 290 was tough during rush hours no matter what.
    Going East in the morning rush hour was a breeze.
    Going any other direction out of Austin during rush hours was a frustrating bitch.

Can only imagine what it's like now ... Austin has more than it's share of prissy ahole drivers, especially the ones driving a Pious.

And the cyclist's rule the road.