• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I remember when i was younger my dad and uncle built a stop for my .22. It was a box made out of 1x2's and ply wood with 5 or those carpet squares hung it in with a few inches between each one and the open areas had straw and newspaper in them. It was something about the open area between the carpet squares that made it work. I dont know the theory behind it but somehow the air gap helps to slow the round.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I remember when i was younger my dad and uncle built a stop for my .22. It was a box made out of 1x2's and ply wood with 5 or those carpet squares hung it in with a few inches between each one and the open areas had straw and newspaper in them. It was something about the open area between the carpet squares that made it work. I dont know the theory behind it but somehow the air gap helps to slow the round.

My theory, and is subject to cause laughter, is that the projectile expends a certain amount of momentum into the first piece, travels across the air gap, and then sheds more momentum.
    If there wasn't an air gap the momentum would be shed into what is essentially a single object versus several objects.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    My theory, and is subject to cause laughter, is that the projectile expends a certain amount of momentum into the first piece, travels across the air gap, and then sheds more momentum.
    If there wasn't an air gap the momentum would be shed into what is essentially a single object versus several objects.

Sounds plausible.

p4R4d0x

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Dallas
    If the carpet squares were hanging loose, it could be because once the round slows down enough, it doesn't just pierce the carpet right away, but moves the whole piece a bit (possibly then penetrating), which would give the carpet a chance to apply force against the bullet for a (fractionally) longer amount of time?

If the carpet pieces were secured at each edge, though, then I don't know. :p

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If loose the round expends energy moving the carpet, then expends more energy to penetrate it.

In my head it seems like this would allow for more expansion prior to penetration with would also require more of the rounds energy to achieve penetration.

Pretty much what others have said.

PS. PENETRATION hehe

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    There was a good post on Snipershide a while ago, I will try to find it. He did a test on the 22lr on a frozen turkey at varying distances. At 400 yds, the round went right through a frozen turkey though.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Try duct-taping your phone book so the pages aren't loose. Of course, this makes it damn near impossible to tell how far the round penetrates, but it'll make the phone book stand up to more abuse. I've stopped .22LR and .380 ACP reliably this way using the Austin yellow pages. Of course, the more you shoot it, the more likely the next round is to go straight through...

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    Try duct-taping your phone book so the pages aren't loose. Of course, this makes it damn near impossible to tell how far the round penetrates, but it'll make the phone book stand up to more abuse. I've stopped .22LR and .380 ACP reliably this way using the Austin yellow pages. Of course, the more you shoot it, the more likely the next round is to go straight through...

I tried that...LOL. Got yelled at.

Gorilla Glue 6100102 Black Gorilla Tape Handy Roll, 1-In. X 30-Ft.: Sealants, Fillers & Adhesives : Walmart.com

just sayin'....

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    How many pages was it?

Uhhh...heck if I know. I've done it quite a few times - sort of my "standard" plinking target. I've also used Dallas yellow pages. If the phone book is a good four and a half to five inches thick, it's good for a surprising number of shots...but I have no idea how many pages that might be. It's the big thick phone book like your mom used to sit you on to cut your hair...

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Yeah, the phone books I tend to use are a little more than the thickness of a 500 sheet pack of printer paper. Wrapped in duct tape they're surprisingly tough. With loose pages, I can put an arrow straight through them with a rather modest compound bow.

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    Paper is good at stopping bullets when it's tight because it's got grain to it that just robs energy. When it's compressed, you've made a really tough barrier that easily robs the bullet of energy. When you leave it open and airy- you're just shooting single sheets of paper one after another.

Top Bottom