• ...and so much more!
  • Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Hell yes. Bring them by next time. I would like to know what it will take to stop that .22lr. Remember we used 5 or 6 thick paperbacks with the 500 mag. and it blew through all of them.

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    As a high school lad 50 years ago, I fired a Remington Kleanbore standard velocity .22 LR from my Ruger Single Six (5 1/2" bbl) through the City of Austin phone book leaning up against the baseboard in my bedroom. Of course Mom & Dad weren't at home. lol

It lodged somewhere inside the baseboard and may still be there.

Pretty loud too, especially with no ear protection.

Still have my 1959 Ruger:

Guns022.jpg

Last edited:

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    As a high school lad 50 years ago, I fired a Remington Kleanbore standard velocity .22 LR from my Ruger Single Six (5 1/2" bbl) through the City of Austin phone book leaning up against the baseboard in my bedroom. Of course Mom & Dad weren't at home. lol

It lodged somewhere inside the baseboad and may still be there.

Pretty loud too, especially with no ear protection.

Still have my 1959 Ruger:

I'm betting it wasn't duct-taped...see, that's the secret.

Don't tell anyone. OK?

AndyMitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Austin/Schertz/SA
    I shoot into thick pieces of stump/firewood that are too big for the fireplace. Probably close to 500 rounds of .22 lodged in the stump that's sitting out there now. Works extremely well and doesn't harm any living tress.

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    Does anyone have any experience with trying to stop a standard .22lr? I am wondering how many inches of phonebook will it take to stop it. Opinions welcome.

Try using two 550 page books, both soaked through and through in water and stacked in front of each other. They won't be much good after the 8th or 9th shot, but you should be able to recover some fragments even in just the first book alone.

I remember when i was younger my dad and uncle built a stop for my .22. It was a box made out of 1x2's and ply wood with 5 or those carpet squares hung it in with a few inches between each one and the open areas had straw and newspaper in them. It was something about the open area between the carpet squares that made it work. I dont know the theory behind it but somehow the air gap helps to slow the round.
    My theory, and is subject to cause laughter, is that the projectile expends a certain amount of momentum into the first piece, travels across the air gap, and then sheds more momentum.
    If there wasn't an air gap the momentum would be shed into what is essentially a single object versus several objects.

Your dad probably didn't know it at the time, but basically what he did was create a target that harnessed the superior protective qualities of composite materials.

Basically.... He used layers. Armored vehicles are defended in the same way against RPG rockets and high-caliber anti-tank weapons. M-1 Abrams armor is composed of layers of plate steel, ceramics, glass, plastics, or air, that fragment on impact when hit by a rocket. Theoretically, composite armor could absorb a shaped-charge explosion with 6" of layers that 12" of solid AND slanted plate/block steel couldn't stop. The result is that you end up with this:

c.jpg (image)

Instead of this:

armor_piercing_shell_01.jpg (image)

Essentially, the carpet and newspaper are doing the same thing on a much smaller scale with .22 bullets instead of explosives. It's an idea I haven't heard of before, but I'll definitely have to try that sometime when I'm out shooting with a friend of mine!

Last edited:

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    These are some very good points. The two 550 page books will be the next try. As posted before one 500 page book is not enough. I am guessing 2 or 3 more will do the trick.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    ...Your dad probably didn't know it at the time, but basically what he did was create a target that harnessed the superior protective qualities of composite materials.

He was an intelligent man and knew the theories behind what he was doing but when he tried to explain it to me I was 5 years old and hadn't thought about it since then until this thread came up. This was in the late 80s and he built it so that i could still shoot my rifle when i wasnt out at my aunts house in Wimberly.

Top Bottom