• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    I found a Marlin MR-7 in 270 WIN that I bought for $525 OTD kinda on a whim because it felt so nice and because I've been wanting a bolt action wooden stock deer rifle for a while. After I got home I did some research on it and it seems I got a pretty darned good underrated rifle, maybe overpaid a teeny bit but not enough to cause buyers remorse.

I'm always fine with paying a "teeny" bit more and being able to see it in person vs online. It's an instant gratification thing.
    Lynx Defense

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Same here, and I personally feel even an "average" gun show is better than the alternative, which is no gun shows at all!

It is what it is, and if some folks can accept that then they have every right to not go. For the rest of us, we continue to enjoy supporting the sport!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Dash Riprock,

Check out the used guns at GT DISTRIBUTERS in North Austin for some great deals on revolvers. - My buddy recently bought a Colt's 1st Issue Detective Special IN NICE SHAPE there for 235.oo plus tax.

yours, sw

erratadata

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    NW SAN Antonio
    I was there when they opened on Sunday Mike, and the crowd was very thin. There weren't as many vendors there as there usually is either. Hopefully the April show is better, or they will probably drop San Antonio. At $5 a head they can't be doing very well. I suspect there's not a lot of loose cash floating around this close to the holidays.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    GT's is the only gun store I frequent on a regular basis and I've found a couple of great deals on used guns in the past. The last few times I've been there the used case has been a little sparse; seems like they usually have a big sale in the spring where they replenish their stock.

I think my friend is leaning towards a S&W 686, probably a 4 inch barrel. He seemed to like that size/weight, and I was trying to steer him towards a .357 Magnum. I also pointed out the Rugers (GP-100 and SP-101), so we'll see.

The drive from Austin to SA also gave me a chance to talk to him about the various laws regarding gun sales and explain why the anti's were so dishonest in their arguments. He wasn't aware that straw purchases were illegal or that suppressors were subject to a whole different set of requirements, among other things. It got me to thinking about how we "gun guys" (i.e. the folks here who frequent these and other forums) are so immersed in these issues, we often assume that average people are also generally knowlegable of the facts. That's not the case. This guy is not anti-gun, but for whatever reason he's never owned one and never even shot one until I took him and his wife shooting last month. And while he is open minded and eager to learn, he is completely clueless when it comes to gun laws and why things are the way they are, and I could tell he had picked up on a lot of the anti-gun propaganda about "keeping the guns out of the hands of criminals".

Anyway, I tried to explain it all as even handedly as I could. Again, we're so familiar with these arguments that when we discuss things here, we're usually deep into the nuances. When you have to take a step back and explain the "gun show loophole" to a newbie from scratch, it makes you realize just how many issues are interrelated in that (inter- vs. intra- state commerce, the various gun control acts that established the system we have now, who has to get a dealer license and why, "internet sales", etc.), and almost none of them are inherently obvious to the average Joe. But the left just screams "gun show loophole" over and over, and that sticks.

Sorry, got off on a tangent there. I hope we don't lose the gun shows; they serve more of a purpose than just selling guns.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I'm always fine with paying a "teeny" bit more and being able to see it in person vs online. It's an instant gratification thing.

The more I pick up this rifle, the more I like it. It's got a real quality feel to it. I wasn't familiar with Marlin bolt-actions, so this is probably not a rifle I would have ever considered without holding it. I was thinking Winchester Model 70, Remington 700, or one of the Brownings. Maybe a Tikka if I could get lucky and find one at a decent price. But this Marlin felt so nice I took a chance, and I'm glad I did.

I have two other bolt actions (not counting the Mosin-Nagant) that are both synthetic stock. Not that there's anything wrong with that but I really like this throwback feel that comes from the additional weight and the warmth of wood. We'll see how she shoots.

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I was there when they opened on Sunday Mike, and the crowd was very thin. There weren't as many vendors there as there usually is either. Hopefully the April show is better, or they will probably drop San Antonio. At $5 a head they can't be doing very well. I suspect there's not a lot of loose cash floating around this close to the holidays.

Michelle says they want to continue on with the San Antonio show; and while they took a loss by reducing the price of entry (because of the county raising the price of parking!), they do enough business to keep them going.

That is one of the reasons I try to get as many folks to the show as possible, as we've been lucky once already in that they returned after the county fiasco with parking; if they close down again it's not likely that we'll ever get them back again!

SAXET is OK but I find the Premier show a lot more interesting. I realize it has shrunk considerably since its heyday; but they continue to promote it as they really like the San Antonio market. Hell, even SAXET has increased its ration of non-firearms-related vendors to keep going.

But they still deserve our support, as if you think the situations bad between these two shows now, just think about how it was when there was only one! I actually believe I could walk through SAXET blindfolded and still tell you what is on every table in the place!

Cheers! M2

mak91

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    I like having shows around and while Premier has been in a slump, in plan to support by continuing to go whenever possible.

SA Justin

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    I definitely prefer Premier to SAXET, but it seems to be smaller and smaller with more and more non-firearm crap each time we go.

I picked up a little xds essentials in fde for $425. Not bad...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Just a reminder, the next Premier San Antonio Gun Show is April 9 & 10, 2016!

Planning on doing breakfast at the usual time, usual location on the usual date.

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Just a reminder that the next Premier San Antonio Gun Show will be this coming weekend, April 9th & 10th, at the Freeman Expo Hall (3201 E Houston St, San Antonio, TX 78219).

Hours are still Saturday 9 am–5 pm and Sunday 10 am–4 pm.

General Admission is still only $5 (cash only) and parking remains at $7 per vehicle. More info on Premier's website: http://premiergunshows.com/shows/san-antonio-gun-show/

As usual, a group of us will be meeting at Teran's (4403 E Houston St) for breakfast at 8am.

There are also shows scheduled for July 23 & 24, October 15 & 16 and December 17 & 18; so mark your calendars!

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Sorry for the less-than-usual notice, guys; but things have been hectic!

Anyhow, the next Premier show will be 23-24 July at the Freeman Coliseum Expo Hall. General Admission – $5, cash only; public parking in Bexar County's lot is $7.00.

Not sure about breakfast but if it goes it will be at the usual place (Teran's) at the usual date/time (Saturday, 8am).

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It was a pretty good breakfast and show this morning. TheGomezClan came out for the former and it was nice to meet him and his boys (and I now better understand his user name! :D). They weren't going to the show, so my son and I went. There was a good-sized crowd and about 800 tables. Saw a nice MAK-90 sealed in the factory bag for $500 that was tough to resist but I wasn't in the market for a commercial Chinese AK. I did pick up an East German AKM/Early AK-74 bakelite bayonet with an incorrect scabbard and a Bulgarian magazine bag for $40. Talked with the promoters and it looks like we'll see more shows in 2017. The next one is in October, so I suspect it'll be interesting given it's right before the election. With all the anti-gun rhetoric one candidate has been spewing, we may see the usual panic and it could get ugly!

I also noticed boxes of 325-count Federal target grade .22 ammo for $22, which wasn't too bad for gun show prices. I recently picked some up at Walmart for $18.99 + tax. I also saw it priced higher, but it does show if you are patient you can find the stuff at shows for a decent price!

Cheers! M2

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Bought two AR15s with a bunch of 5.7 ammo and mags and cases from a strolling seller.
    A 5.7-AR and a 7.5" 5.56 pistol.

Figuring with the stuff/accessories I'm in each AR for about $450.

At worst they are two nice toys.
    At best they will double or triple in price soon.
    At way-way-worst they will be contraband under Hillary or Trump.

Spent another $800 on nick-nacks like threaded pistol barrel, ammo, mags and a spotting scope!!!

I'm buying all the sub-$500 ARs I find. More fun than the Dow.

Life is good!

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Sorry I missed the last Premier San Antonio Gun Show, but I was out of the country.

However, there is another one coming up again 17 & 18 December at the usual location (Freeman Expo Hall, 3201 E Houston St, San Antonio, TX 78219; just next to the AT&T Center).

Hours are the same (Saturday 9am–5pm, and Sunday 10am–4pm) as is general admission (still only $5, cash only). Bexar County is also still charging $7 per vehicle for parking.

Anyone wanting to do breakfast, while we usually meet at Teran's (4403 E Houston St) at 8am on Saturday to "fuel up" before the show; I am considering a "venue change" to Pancake Joe's at 1011 Donaldson Ave, San Antonio, TX 78228! If you've never heard of this place, it's highly rated but has limited seating.

It is a bit farther away from the Freeman Expo Center (10 miles/20 mins).

Let me know what you think. I have nothing against Teran's, and it's been a while since we've been there; it's just a chance to try something new!

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom