Target Sports

Prepping... wondering how many other people here do it on a continual basis.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CplHudson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Texas
    I'm still new here, I post a few times asking questions about firearms and such, but one thing I haven't really talked about is my prepping hobby. I feel comfortable to talk about it now, but for about 2 years now I go on weekly shopping binges instead of eating out.

When we first started two years ago, we didn't own anything gun related. We purchased our first gun from academy (Taurus 40 24/7 Pro) and felt like criminals for having it in the house. (shes named Winona) We didn't shoot it until about 6 months later just because we feared the bang.

Then it became food, lots of it, shelves and shelves of it, half a tax return worth at Sams club and HEB.
    Then it became medical supplies, personal (women stuff), hygiene products
    Then came the shotgun, then came the AR. then the Spare mags, the cleaning supplies, the ear muffs, the safety glasses... and then boatloads of ammo.
    Then it became camping supplies and lots of those itty bitty propane tanks.

So ....I feel like i'm the crazy one and I'm looking for other preppers out there, I can't even talk to my family about it because most of them are die-hard liberals who depend on the gubmint for everything they need.

When I asked my dad if he had any kind of supplies for a emergency he said "what for, thats what FEMA is for?"

sigh...
    Lynx Defense

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Why do you feel uncomfortable talking about your hobby? In my opinion, doing something and acting ashamed of it is more likely to make others think it's strange behavior than just doing whatever it is you want to do in a casual manner would. Are there going to be people out there that think you're a kook? Yes, but some people are going to think that regardless of what you do. Haters gonna hate...

For example:
    If you had bought something other than a Taurus as your first gun, you would have felt less "dirty"

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    When I asked my dad if he had any kind of supplies for a emergency he said "what for, thats what FEMA is for?"

sigh...

This is the scary thing......too many people feel this way, what they don't know is that FEMA won't be coming around to "help" if things get bad.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    For me personally, I don't see the need for hoarding food and supplies. Whenever Cam asks me for my opinion on a certain "prep" item, I lie and tell him that he needs to order twice as much as he originally thought. Besides not having to worry about space and storage for all that shit, my bugout bag stays light because it only has to get me from my house to his. :)

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    for me personally, i don't see the need for hoarding food and supplies. Whenever cam asks me for my opinion on a certain "prep" item, i lie and tell him that he needs to order twice as much as he originally thought. Besides not having to worry about space and storage for all that shit, my bugout bag stays light because it only has to get me from my house to his. :)

roflmao!!!!!!!!!!!!

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Hey pm me your adress so i can come to(lol) ya know every
    Camp needs a black guy!why cause we dont let zombies kill us
    But serious yes i am prepping, getting what money dictates
    But getting more all the time

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    My plan includes prepping.... ,,, mental, physical, spiritual, material (food/water/etc), and defensively. Hate to admit it, but I've even got my eye on a sweet little Ferret Armored Patrol Vehicle complete with 1919A4... trying to figure out how I can convince DW that its a "family" vehicle.

CplHudson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Texas
    Hey pm me your adress so i can come to(lol) ya know every
    Camp needs a black guy!why cause we dont let zombies kill us
    But serious yes i am prepping, getting what money dictates
    But getting more all the time
    well you might have a point, just dont call me shane and i wont call you t-dog deal :)

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    My mom is a prepper now. She called me today with a bunch of questions, apparently DHS has been poking around their town a lot lately.

CplHudson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Texas
    My mom is a prepper now. She called me today with a bunch of questions, apparently DHS has been poking around their town a lot lately.

Today I am very proud of myself, my shoulder hurts from patting myself on the back. My grandpa passed away, and he left me some stuff, I brought it back to SA from Palmdale, CA.

One of the things I brought back was his 5000w Powerback Generator. It wouldnt start, so I watched a few youtube videos on troubleshooting. The main issue I saw over and over, was the Ethanol clogging the fuel jets.

I took the carb off, cleaned it, slowly inspected everything, dumped out the gas and cleaned the gas tank.

Well... It started!!! After sitting in a garage for 10 years. So now I have to make sure I have gas for it, WITH sea foam in it to make sure the gas in the tanks dont go bad.

I also made sure I drained any and all gas out of the engine, and made sure to disconnect the spark plug and also closed the fuel line cutoff.

CplHudson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Texas
    I forgot to mention that I soaked most of the parts in carb cleaner, and used a torch tip cleaner to make sure the tiny holes werent clogged.

CplHudson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Texas
    dont feel alone brother, i personally know many who are. including myself. some may not want to admit it. keep the faith hang in there.

Well, The unthinkable happened FullMag, my mom is a prepper, even before me... I've been looking at land for about 6 months for "whatever"...

I mentioned to my mother I found a cheap cheap place thats 2 acres... and shes going to buy it.

she asked me what I was going to do with it and why i wanted it (AFTER she gave the seller a check for earnest money)

I told her about the whole concept of SHTF and how it relates to prepping.

.....She didnt give me a look like im crazy.. thank god.

Top Bottom