Target Sports

Prepping... wondering how many other people here do it on a continual basis.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    Ask you father how well waiting for FEMA worked out in the New Orleans Superdome after Katrina, and how he'd like to be there during the event.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    When I asked my dad if he had any kind of supplies for a emergency he said "what for, thats what FEMA is for?"

Ask you father how well waiting for FEMA worked out in the New Orleans Superdome after Katrina, and how he'd like to be there during the event.

I find it genuinely horrifying how many people have that mindset. Those are the same people I will not feel one iota of guilt at refusing them food, water, whatever, when the SHTF. They make their choices, I've made mine, and we will both live with the results of our decisions.

CplHudson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Texas
    hekll say that fema will never make that mistake again, mind you he lives in a very upscale apartment community and i was detained once by 3 armed guards when i came back in one night from bar hopping. my dad may be liberal but that doesnt mean he has to live with the unwashed masses

CplHudson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Texas
    my first priority once the sale is closed, is to secure some kind of rainwater trapping system. im following the laws of threes. im skipping the air part :)

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    hekll say that fema will never make that mistake again.

Wow, talk about not living in reality. When has government ever rectified problems encountered with programs? I can't think of one. Next disaster and the same FEMA clusterf***s will show up as before. I can't imagine EVER relying on government to help me. To that end, it never ceases to amaze and disgust me in places like Florida that regularly deal with hurricanes how many citizens there simply don't prepare, and then bitch and complain to the TV cameras about why the government hasn't distributed water and whatever supplies. It's shocking, disgusting, and I have no sympathy for those idiots. Rant over.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    my first priority once the sale is closed, is to secure some kind of rainwater trapping system. im following the laws of threes. im skipping the air part :)

I saw this really interesting article a couple years ago that had a big metal roof inverted close to the ground that collected rain water and channeled it into a holding tank. It was designed for collecting water for animals in the wild, but the concept would work for other purposes.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Never hurts to be prepared. If somebody thinks its strange screw them, when the world goes to crap they will be in the mre lines and you will be sitting pretty for a good while.

TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    hekll say that fema will never make that mistake again, mind you he lives in a very upscale apartment community and i was detained once by 3 armed guards when i came back in one night from bar hopping. my dad may be liberal but that doesnt mean he has to live with the unwashed masses

That's usually the main problem with liberals - no experience with reality. I once heard a Republican defined as a Democrat who had once gotten mugged.
    My wife's younger brother was a devout Democrat in college, got out, got a job, and was absolutely shocked to see how much came out of his check for taxes. He was a Republican in no time!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Hurricane IKE had a direct hit and messed up my home pretty well so I filed for FEMA aid. I played it straight when I filed and asked just for what I needed. A biker buddy and his wife at work padded, BS'd and storied their way through the process application process. We were working the same job making the same money but he had an apartment that flooded and my place is a house. The end result? He scored plenty of assistance and I was denied ANY assistance! Go figure.

On another note, Midway USA is offering a surgical equipment kit and a first aid kit for between $10-20 each. I believe it will be in their April sale flyer but I just checked their site and it was on sale. Search "surgical" in the site. Worth a look for the "prepping" crew.

I once pulled a bullet out of my right shoulder with tweezers and a pocket knife. I also had a painful ingrown toenail cut out and after seeing the doc do it, I've been doing it every month or two myself since then. It's amazing what you can do if you grit your teeth and get after it! I'm not up to do it yourself brain surgery yet but the day isn't over. I may invest in the surgical kit myself.

Flash

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    On another note, Midway USA is offering a surgical equipment kit and a first aid kit for between $10-20 each. I believe it will be in their April sale flyer but I jest checked their site and it was on sale. Search "surgical" in the site. Worth a look for the "prepping" crew.

Thanks for the tip!

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)
    It's really sad that doing things that our ancestors did as just normal every day stuff (self sufficiency, making food for long term storage, etc) is now looked down upon by so many. And the whole having more than a week worth of food might be an indication you are a terrorist is redonkulous. I dunno if you would call me a prepper. I don't really have the money to be like those big dawgs. But there's certainly a bit of a fire beneath me to at least be thinking of necessities should SHTF. Land is probably one of the most important, honestly. I live in a HOA on the smallest plot of land I've ever lived on. Definitely going to buy some land up, and hopefully be able to sell the house some day and just live out there.

People tend to not learn from history. Katrina, Ike, Fukashima, Haiti....These were all isolated incidents and the response was terrible. What if something DID happen on a global scale? For argument's sake, solar flares tear things up here on earth. There's just not enough law enforcement to handle a situation like that. That's when FEMA and DHS with their 450 million .40 cal bullets would come in and take charge. No thanks, I'll go live off my land with some chickens and some hunting rifles.

CplHudson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Texas
    It's really sad that doing things that our ancestors did as just normal every day stuff (self sufficiency, making food for long term storage, etc) is now looked down upon by so many. And the whole having more than a week worth of food might be an indication you are a terrorist is redonkulous. I dunno if you would call me a prepper. I don't really have the money to be like those big dawgs. But there's certainly a bit of a fire beneath me to at least be thinking of necessities should SHTF. Land is probably one of the most important, honestly. I live in a HOA on the smallest plot of land I've ever lived on. Definitely going to buy some land up, and hopefully be able to sell the house some day and just live out there.

People tend to not learn from history. Katrina, Ike, Fukashima, Haiti....These were all isolated incidents and the response was terrible. What if something DID happen on a global scale? For argument's sake, solar flares tear things up here on earth. There's just not enough law enforcement to handle a situation like that. That's when FEMA and DHS with their 450 million .40 cal bullets would come in and take charge. No thanks, I'll go live off my land with some chickens and some hunting rifles.

My biggest problem is whether or not to buy a RV (Class A - Driving) or a RV Travel Trailer (Pull NOT 5th wheel) or a singlewide....

On the Drivable RV
    Positives I think its self contained and can run on its own as long as theres gas in the tank. I think they also have gasoline generators built into the RV that can draw from the vehicles gas tank... (At least I HOPE the generator can draw from the gas tank)
    It has tanks for clean water, and dirty water, and can hook up to utilities and its movable.

On the Pull Trailer
    I don't own a truck or van that could pull the size Im looking for, so I'd need someone to tow it off the lot and to the property for me. I am also not sure if these trailers have tanks or if they are completely dependent on outside resources. I own a generator thats 6500 watt so i guess that isnt a problem, but water does concern me. I am looking for a trailer that can sleep at least 6.

On the singlewide home
    Its bigger and has space, but its DEFINITELY dependent on the grid. Also I nearly sh*t myself when a salesrep was telling me just to prepare the site was going to be around 30k for the pad+septic+whatever else she said. Also the salesrep said that if this was NOT going to be my primary residence, the bank would be a little leery of any deal if i didnt have 20% down.

Anything else I didn't mention that would certainly factor in my decision?
    Did I say anything wrong or incorrect?

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    My biggest problem is whether or not to buy a RV (Class A - Driving) or a RV Travel Trailer (Pull NOT 5th wheel) or a singlewide....

On the Drivable RV
    Positives I think its self contained and can run on its own as long as theres gas in the tank. I think they also have gasoline generators built into the RV that can draw from the vehicles gas tank... (At least I HOPE the generator can draw from the gas tank)
    It has tanks for clean water, and dirty water, and can hook up to utilities and its movable.

Class A gens DO draw from the main fuel tank.

Mr. Bojangles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Humble
    I would like to start prepping but I need to get a house first. Preferably one on a decent amount of land. I really woulnd't give a damn what anybody thought about it. Some people already think I'm crazy for having so many guns.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Being self sufficient is much more mainstream than many realize.

^^^^This. Most folks just don't talk about it, or think about in terms of "preppers". Also, when you get out in the country it's just called "life". A good number of people and they don't see what the fuss is all about.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom