• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brashears9567

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 12, 2016
    Yeah they’ll be paying.

But they first need to tear-down the tranny, diagnose and approve the repairs, before they approve the rentals.

In the interest of our sanity and keeping this trip moving, I’m not waiting around…

So I’ll be hitting them up about it toward the end of the week.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. But lol at tear-down the tranny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Capitol Armory ad

Cool 'Horn Luke

Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2022
    Corsicana, TX
    Yeah they’ll be paying.

But they first need to tear-down the tranny, diagnose and approve the repairs, before they approve the rentals.

In the interest of our sanity and keeping this trip moving, I’m not waiting around…

So I’ll be hitting them up about it toward the end of the week.
    Good luck.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    It’s the 6L80 6-speed.
    It basically replaced the 4L60.

It’s been around for a while and the main shortcoming - shitty torque converter - is front and center. It starts to go, fills the case with crap, clogs the pump then failure.

I posted about replacing it in my Silverado about a year ago. That truck is not under warranty, and once I noticed something was amiss, I put a new torque converter in, before I was on the hook for an new transmission.

The suburban is under warranty and I’ve been noticing some slippage, but all I could do is wait for it to fail.
    The new 10 speed is always shifting or looking to shift. It's about fuel economy not performance so it's always in too high a gear and when you need to go to the lower gear it always acts suprised and takes forever it seems. I've had it in 2 trucks and my expedition and absolutely hate it. There isn't much of a choice as it's in everything across 2 manufacturers in trucks suvs and even the auto mustang I think. I couldn't even order a truck or expedition with a different transmission. Still, while I think they gotta fail early because of that it doesn't seem to be the case.

Sorry this happened to you. It sucks being away from home and the trip get interrupted like that.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    The new 10 speed is always shifting or looking to shift. It's about fuel economy not performance so it's always in too high a gear and when you need to go to the lower gear it always acts suprised and takes forever it seems. I've had it in 2 trucks and my expedition and absolutely hate it. There isn't much of a choice as it's in everything across 2 manufacturers in trucks suvs and even the auto mustang I think. I couldn't even order a truck or expedition with a different transmission. Still, while I think they gotta fail early because of that it doesn't seem to be the case.

Sorry this happened to you. It sucks being away from home and the trip get interrupted like that.

I have a feeling the crappy tow/haul mode that I experienced, was due to the torque converter being on its way out.

Yeah this trip has been a doozy…I just want to get home if I’m honest.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I have a feeling the crappy tow/haul mode that I experienced, was due to the torque converter being on its way out.

Yeah this trip has been a doozy…I just want to get home if I’m honest.
    GM, ever chasing that supposed pinnacle level of low NVH, has calibrated the converter in that model to slip. Going from memory, so I might be wrong on the numbers, but I think it's up to 15 rpm for quite a bit of its operational range. The converter is loose enough to need the lockup clutch to keep it under 15. Add in towing, especially if you weren't using tow/haul mode? I think even in manual mode (which I don't know if the 'burbs have, won't guarantee lockup in anything but like 7th gear?

In reality the 6L80e/6L90e itself isn't horrible. The calibration and the required converter to support it, are hot garbage. If you swap in a Circle D converter and tune out the slip, you can run a LOT of power through them for a very long time.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    So we made it down in Mission Beach.

Minivan packed tight, we left a bunch is stuff at Mrs P’s aunts house…no room.
    We will grab it on the way back, when we swap the minivan for a suburban.

Weather is crappy, low 60’s.
    but we got a good parking spot and life could be worse…

IMG_0171.jpeg
    IMG_0172.jpeg
    IMG_0173.jpeg

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    GM, ever chasing that supposed pinnacle level of low NVH, has calibrated the converter in that model to slip. Going from memory, so I might be wrong on the numbers, but I think it's up to 15 rpm for quite a bit of its operational range. The converter is loose enough to need the lockup clutch to keep it under 15. Add in towing, especially if you weren't using tow/haul mode? I think even in manual mode (which I don't know if the 'burbs have, won't guarantee lockup in anything but like 7th gear?

In reality the 6L80e/6L90e itself isn't horrible. The calibration and the required converter to support it, are hot garbage. If you swap in a Circle D converter and tune out the slip, you can run a LOT of power through them for a very long time.
    Why do they do that (the 15 RPM?) Just to make the shifts smoother and wear out the clutches?

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

View attachment 391730 View attachment 391731 View attachment 391732
    Been there a crap load of times. You will get the worst sunburn of your life in cloud cover like that.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas

I’m pretty sure it slips 50rpm to smooth the operation when it drops cylinders for fuel efficiency.

I can’t find anything about lockup strategy otherwise, but I know it wouldn’t lock in 2nd…there’s a steep grade heading out of El Paso and I wasn’t able to hold 3rd…tranny temps spiked to 255 degree by the time I got to the top. I’m positive that hastened it’s demise…

Maybe it was trying to lock but was unable to.
    But holding 3rd or 4th for most of the drive kept temps down to the 200-degree range.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Been there a crap load of times. You will get the worst sunburn of your life in cloud cover like that.
    My buddy’s squadron had a perpetual lease at a nice place about a block away from the coaster, pretty much where we are now.

I was living in Orange County but drove down often.

It was good times back then, lots of great memories.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX

View attachment 391730 View attachment 391731 View attachment 391732
    If you love tacos, check out Rubios. They have 2 in the Mission Bay area (at least they used to)

You're welcome.

Top Bottom