Venture Surplus ad

PSA - Hicksville Gun Range !!! CLOSED !!! - temporarily?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I truly hope all goes well for them. I was only out there once, during the last Hicksville meet, but, I really enjoyed the range and meeting and talking with JD and Judy. And everyone else of course.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    So TS, what do you think our chances are that we can blow stuff up at our next meet?

Still too early to answer. I am still trying to process everything I learned today. I have no clue who the new management team will be or if they will run the range in a similar manner as the Hicks family has. As soon as we can get all the full details out, we will.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Family is ok. They are not being forced into anything. They are reorganizing to protect other pieces of property/assets they own. Naturally, they feel they can't risk having any accidents out there until this is all wrapped up. How long that will take, they aren't sure. What the reorganization will mean to how the range is run, that remains to be seen. They have entertained some offers to sell, but are not going that route. No one needs to speculate the worst case scenarios, not applicable here. Trust me, I sat around with them for more than an hour. Everyone is great and excited about setting this up differently. I think they view it as a win-win. They protect themselves and their assets, keep their property, get steady income from the range without the burden of managing it. The last thing they said before they ran off and left Jared and I alone, "we can't wait to participate at the next TGT event and not feel like we are stuck in the office or being rule enforcers."

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Yeah, but you're a lawyer so WE have to factor that in :rocket:

I sure hope we can keep bringin' cars.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    So will the fall meet go as planned, too early to tell or should we plan to pus it back? Ive never been and wont be able to make the October date so I'm being selfish and hoping itll get pushed back a little. Good to hear theyll still be around.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Holy cow! I need to start getting back up there again. I know I haven't been able to get up there too much in the past 6 months, but dang. I hate all the changes and not knowing whats going on. I'll have to drop in and chat with JD and the family over dinner some time.

Either way, if JD is happy for what's to come, then I'm happy for him.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Well, I've been meaning to stop in and just see how everyone has been in general, so I'll try to stop by soon and see if I can get a feel for that along with talking about other things.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    We all know everything has pros & cons and the Hicksville range is no exception. Some of the pros were while having rules, they were flexible too. Listening to their customers requests and allowing what they felt safe & comfortable with.

Another big plus is they are reasonably centrally located between the 4 largest cities. Personally I hope we can continue our meets there.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    We all know everything has pros & cons and the Hicksville range is no exception. Some of the pros were while having rules, they were flexible too. Listening to their customers requests and allowing what they felt safe & comfortable with.

Another big plus is they are reasonably centrally located between the 4 largest cities. Personally I hope we can continue our meets there.

Thats a good summary.

I go to a range which is a much better facility but you dont get that Hicksville atmosphere.

Sounds like its the people that make Huntsville so glad they are going to stay on. The relationships are important too.

Im hoping they improve some of the geometry of the rifle range and firing lines and in general improve their berms especially between ranges.

Glad to hear the people you all like will remain.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Big ditto. Most of the population of the state can drive there without a marathon day spent in the car. Those with iron butts can even drive there from Houston the day of the event.

If we found the most perfect venue imaginable but it was located just outside El Paso, well, that wouldn't work.

As usual, I used more words than you to say I agree with you, strongly.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Berms have been improved since our last event. Also some extra dividing protection on the pistol lines. Like I said before, they do substantially more improvements to their range than most.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Berms have been improved since our last event. Also some extra dividing protection on the pistol lines. Like I said before, they do substantially more improvements to their range than most.
    Even more reason to hope we can still wind up there.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I've been going to this range as my local range since about a few weeks before the first TGT meet there. Granted, I don't get to go there as often as I used to, but I still try to get out there on occasion. The constant improvements I've seen there during all the time I've been going vs the improvements at local ranges (I do like to pop in sometimes just to see what they're up to) has been insane.

In the time I've been going to Hicksville gun range:

-Texas Star Shooting Range has rotated their stock of plastic chairs and cheap tables as well as cleaned up the range...a little. They also realized that forcing people to buy a membership and then forcing them to still pay per visit along with that membership is crazy, so they dropped that policy.
    -Astro Shooting Range.......Ummm, Yeeeeaaaaaa Pretty much the same ol'.
    -Stans Outdoor Shooting Range-They've cleaned up their outside appearance and put up a bunch of florescent yellow paint so that you can actually find the place rather than blowing past and not realizing its there. Seriously-one day I went out searching for it, and drove by it 6 times before I realized that little shit hole is actually a range! They have done work to make it look like a range now, so good on them.
    -Just Glocks keeps a nice little place to stop by, but they don't really do much for improvements. They've done the best they can with the little space they have.

-Hicksville Gun Range has added extra lanes to the 100 yd lane, put in dividers between the pistol lanes, put in a 25 yd rifle sight in area, put in a tactical lane to practice managing your weapon around corners and swapping weapons on the move, extended the over hang and built new tables for the pistol steel shooting area, brought in a Texas Shooting Star steel rotating target as well as a steel target that swings back and forth, mows the grass every thursday or friday, put in a gun/accessories counter, put a second gate in the fence to make it easier for people to get to the lanes, put in a sign up shack in the parking lot for days when there's a class in the main building.....That's just what I can think of right now. I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting.

Top Bottom