Target Sports

PSA - Hicksville Gun Range !!! CLOSED !!! - temporarily?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I know JD shut down the long range area to rebuild it a few months back. I didn't get a chance to see what he had done though. It was in pretty rough shape though so I am sure he greatly improved it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol.

My range is no nearly up to par for a group like ours. Especially the rifle range.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I remember Judy talking about the long range steel targets being in pretty rough shape, so he may have shut it down just to go through and fix them.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You got some time to get it together. We will help.

Damn, put me on the spot why don't ya.

We actually looked in to making it a public range at one point when my dad was working on getting his CDL instructors cert.

The location poses several problems that would require some pretty extensive precautions be taken. There is also the matter of liability. We don't have that kind if insurance and considering the location, it would be a necessity.

Works well on a small scale, but risk rises exponentially with the number of users. It's just not feasible at this time.

Maybe someday when after I am able to slowly improve certain aspects a small meet with become possible, but I doubt it would ever be suitable for a large scale meet such as the Hicksville event.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I get that. Plus inviting "strangers" to your house or property is a little uncomfortable.

When I lived in the country there was no way to situate my range to work well for visitors. The property was layed out all wrong.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I remember Judy talking about the long range steel targets being in pretty rough shape, so he may have shut it down just to go through and fix them.

JD did. Last time I shot on it I brought them the 200 yard target. One hit and the plate fell off. The berms needed to be raised and all the targets could use some attention. The bench was also gone and the lay of the land and grass didn't allow for prone shooting.

Shooting from the bed of my truck was the only way to even shoot there.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yup, it was a little tough when I was there.....and somebody had painted the 500 yard target the same color as the background......

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Maybe someday when after I am able to slowly improve certain aspects a small meet with become possible, but I doubt it would ever be suitable for a large scale meet such as the Hicksville event.
    I'm not paying $15 to shoot all day, leave 2FT[SUP]3[/SUP] of my trash behind, AND use a porta-turlet. Get busy!

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    While I was worried about the changes being talked about last time, this is much worse. Keep us posted.

Sent From This Tablet They Call A Phone, The G Flex

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Those with iron butts can even drive there from Houston the day of the event

Actually, one of my favorite drives in Texas. 290W Houston to Brenham; 36 Brenham to Gatesville; and enjoy driving though part of the "Heart of Texas".

Always take that route driving to Abilene just to enjoy something it's hard to get enough of: rural, small town Texas.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I blame Glockster. He started the meets that destroyed the place and was the first to bring us the bad news.
    Jenga master and Ninja warrior with ADD. Sometimes, in my perpetual state of confusion, I use the wrong powers. :bomb:

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Actually, one of my favorite drives in Texas. 290W Houston to Brenham; 36 Brenham to Gatesville; and enjoy driving though part of the "Heart of Texas".

Always take that route driving to Abilene just to enjoy something it's hard to get enough of: rural, small town Texas.
    Amen amen i drive a tanker, so I get to see a lot of this

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    We just need to know a timeframe Jeremy. Their reopening is awefully close to meet time as we hear.
    I spoke with JD today on the phone. It was pretty short just because I don't like talking on the phone. He's thinking mid Oct, but it's just too soon to make that call right now. It could be sooner. Could be longer.

For those of you with hotel reservations, just check and see how long before your reservation date they will allow a change/cancellation. It's usually 24 hrs so if that's the case, you should only need to worry about having the day off.

Burnt Jeep

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2014
    Woodway,TX
    Shotgun Jeremy;1019142 -Hicksville Gun Range brought in a Texas Shooting Star steel rotating target as well as a steel target that swings back and forth said:
    That's one of the main reason I went out there was being able to shoot steel. I hope everything goes well for them and they reopen soon.

Top Bottom