• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldbluered

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 18, 2019
    Bastrop area
    Dinner was some sausage, rice, corn and bread. That corn lasted a week in the husk. I felt blessed, since I've had corn go bad within 3 days of purchase. Maybe it was more fresh than usual, with all the crazy going on lately.
    Venture Surplus ad

Attachments

• 20200418_203222.jpg
      20200418_203222.jpg
      1.9 MB · Views: 353

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Anti-Tyranny Stew.jpg

Today I figured I cook a bit early and am making Anti-Tyranny Stew (very appropriate for this date)- a spicy one at that. The ingredients are: a nicely marbled choice Angus Beef Chuck of about 3 pounds (chuck being the second best cut for a stew - prime rib-eye the best but too expensive most times), canola oil to brown the meat, salt to make it brown better, a Spaten Lager in which to stew, about a tablespoon of back pepper (a heaping one - maybe two regular ones), two heaping tablespoons of minced garlic in oil, a Serrano pepper minced, 2 large sharp onions, about 1/2 a cup of onion flakes, 4 fairly large parsnips, 3 medium white turnips, about 1/4 of a hefe weiss bier (not the 11.5 ounce size but the 16.9 ounce size - to add a bit more liquid; I am enjoying the rest of that now and had a Spaten earlier - I am getting sloshed today to celebrate The Shot Heard Round The World and the commencement of the American Revolution), maybe a 1/4 cup of OJ. It is all cooking in a heavy duty aluminum pot left to me by my great-grandfather - he and my great-grandmother used to cook things like paprika chicken and goulash in it. It will be done in about 15 minutes. The meat is already quite tender, the veggies just about done and the aroma is exquisite and the waiting to eat it is torturous.

Attachments

• Anti-Tyranny Stew.jpg
      Anti-Tyranny Stew.jpg
      1.6 MB · Views: 557

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The ingredients are: a nicely marbled choice Angus Beef Chuck of about 3 pounds (chuck being the second best cut for a stew - prime rib-eye the best but too expensive most times), canola oil to brown the meat, salt to make it brown better,
    Prime Rib-eye for stew= A fool & his money! Short rib plates can have KOBE beef like fat structure!

Pro tip for browning a roast. No oil & wipe down the entire piece of meat with paper towels. Wait until the meat releases from the pan give the best carmelization to the meat. Try this when pan searing boneless steaks!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    St. Louis Ribs tonight.The wife bought these when I sent her for baby back ribs. When I pointed out she once again bought the wrong ribs she pulled that well I don't know the difference! I reminded her that it says what they are on the label & the package itself. These have been in the freezer since the last time I banished her to her parents for a week.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Amen! My granny always cooked the bacon first, then cooked the eggs in bacon grease.

I still cook the same way.
    Mine did too. She would also have fresh made biscuits ready to come out of the oven. Would turn excess bacon grease into gravy. I sure miss her cooking!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The gravy is one thing I should have paid attention to. Tried once and failed.
    Side note....I take off for a few hours of scouting and HJB is a gonner. That happened fast.
    Last year was the first time bacon grease gravy was brought to my attention. It was my morning to do the cooking & one of the brochacho's requested it. I told him that's a first for me but, none the less I made bacon grease gravy.

There was more fat then needed for decent gravy so the excess was poured off. The pan had plenty of brown caramelization in it as I cooked 20+ pieces of bacon. Flour & pepper went into the hot bacon grease working all the brown goodness loose from the pan. Cooking the flour a bit needs to take place or it taste like wall paper paste. A little chicken base & water deglazed the pan, followed by milk. Bringing it to a boil while stirring the whole time. Adjusting your thickness & taste is pretty much the final deed as the biscuits cook.

While it wasn't bad I'll take white gravy made from butter over it any day, and sausage gravy remains the best.

Top Bottom