• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I’ve never been a big pistol shooter because we didn’t own any growing up, just rifles and shotguns. Shot the M9 some and my XDs all with iron sights, but not that much.

Having said that, I have two red dots on pistols and I’m buying more. My G26 has a Trijicon RMR and I just put a RMRcc on my G43. I still need one for my G20, G34 and P80. They will all get some flavor of RMR.

Tank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    Houston
    This is a really good thread, I have read everything. My next pistol in the collection is going to be the Sig P229 9mm Legion, and I am torn on whether to get the one with the Romeo1 red dot on it or not. Problem is I am not sure how it would fit a holster or be comfortable at a CC with a red dot on it. Hearing everyone comment on how it takes a while to get used to but when you do, you are more accurate has me a little torn even further. Its' a 300 difference in price, but for a permanent piece of the collection, that really makes no difference.

Also, I understand you can put a plate on the SIGs if you want to take off the red dot. Saw one this week and the color is different than the pistol. It is pure black where the body of the 229 legion is more of a gray. I know its aesthetics, but again, as a permanent piece in the collection, I want everything to match.

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    This is a really good thread, I have read everything. My next pistol in the collection is going to be the Sig P229 9mm Legion, and I am torn on whether to get the one with the Romeo1 red dot on it or not. Problem is I am not sure how it would fit a holster or be comfortable at a CC with a red dot on it. Hearing everyone comment on how it takes a while to get used to but when you do, you are more accurate has me a little torn even further. Its' a 300 difference in price, but for a permanent piece of the collection, that really makes no difference.

Also, I understand you can put a plate on the SIGs if you want to take off the red dot. Saw one this week and the color is different than the pistol. It is pure black where the body of the 229 legion is more of a gray. I know its aesthetics, but again, as a permanent piece in the collection, I want everything to match.

Tank, get the dot. Go shoot with it. The dot should make no difference in how the gun conceals or the comfort while carrying.

Have a plan for what you are going to do with the Romeo when you decide you want something else.

If aesthetics bother you, get the whole gun coated at the same time. Then it will match. However, if you are practicing consistently, the finish is going to wear off in places anyway.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    For a couple of months now I’ve been carrying a Mossberg MC2sc with a Crimson Trace micro RDS(mine is actually a green dot).
    TBH it sucks.
    There’s no way its faster for me to get the sights lined up using the dot than the irons. The irons are tritiums so they’re very visible. I find I have to wriggle the gun around for a few seconds trying to find the dot. That’s gonna get me killed I suspect. I will continue to train and shoot it to see if I can improve.
    Also, the RDS kinda jabs me in the side while holstered. The corner of it pokes my side.
    This gets annoying pretty quickly. The gun carried very nicely before the RDS was installed.
    At this point I’ll probably go back to irons.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    For a couple of months now I’ve been carrying a Mossberg MC2sc with a Crimson Trace micro RDS(mine is actually a green dot).
    TBH it sucks.
    There’s no way its faster for me to get the sights lined up using the dot than the irons. The irons are tritiums so they’re very visible. I find I have to wriggle the gun around for a few seconds trying to find the dot. That’s gonna get me killed I suspect. I will continue to train and shoot it to see if I can improve.
    Also, the RDS kinda jabs me in the side while holstered. The corner of it pokes my side.
    This gets annoying pretty quickly. The gun carried very nicely before the RDS was installed.
    At this point I’ll probably go back to irons.
    I also have a msc2 with a dot and it does poke me more than my p365 so it stays home 98% of the time. Carry should be about comfort to me. I'm in the something is better than nothing crowd and ditching a red dot makes all the difference in that aspect. I do enjoy my dots at the range though and have noticed the dot moves a lot less now with practice.

I wouldn't do the romeo zero. It has a plastic lens and body. They're known to Crack from flexing.

These are a smoking deal and have the same footprint.

I put one on my p322 and it's been sold and has a rear sight built in.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Top is Sig P365XL with a Holosun 507, 50 rounds of 9mm. Bottom is Sig P322 with Holosun 507, 80 rounds of .22 LR.
    targetAug2022.jpg

There's a stray .22 hole upper right of the top target because I found a round that didn't go off the first time and re-fired it in the general direction of the target, just to see if it was a dud. I think the red dot did pretty well.

BeatTheTunaUp

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Top is Sig P365XL with a Holosun 507, 50 rounds of 9mm. Bottom is Sig P322 with Holosun 507, 80 rounds of .22 LR.
    View attachment 339695

There's a stray .22 hole upper right of the top target because I found a round that didn't go off the first time and re-fired it in the general direction of the target, just to see if it was a dud. I think the red dot did pretty well.
    Pretty good shooting. Light strikes with the p322 have been reported. I've had quite a few duds with my p322, but I'm also shooting old bulk ammo, so could be that. Just finished a box and about to move to another so I'll see if improves.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Pretty good shooting. Light strikes with the p322 have been reported. I've had quite a few duds with my p322, but I'm also shooting old bulk ammo, so could be that. Just finished a box and about to move to another so I'll see if improves.
    It's a princess of a pistol - very particular about ammo. I think the big problem is the striker. Now, with CCI ammo (Mini-mags or Stingers), it shoots 100%. I had some old Remingtons and Winchester 333s, and had a few misfires. I put some back through 3x before they'd fire. The ammo? The pistol? A bit of both, I think. Some people on YouTube are reporting BIG problems with lead accumulating in the barrel. I still wonder how that happens - too big of a diameter? Too small? Bad rifling? In any case, I haven't seen a problem with that, though the mini-mags leave the barrel much cleaner than the cheaper 22s.

BeatTheTunaUp

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    It's a princess of a pistol - very particular about ammo. I think the big problem is the striker. Now, with CCI ammo (Mini-mags or Stingers), it shoots 100%. I had some old Remingtons and Winchester 333s, and had a few misfires. I put some back through 3x before they'd fire. The ammo? The pistol? A bit of both, I think. Some people on YouTube are reporting BIG problems with lead accumulating in the barrel. I still wonder how that happens - too big of a diameter? Too small? Bad rifling? In any case, I haven't seen a problem with that, though the mini-mags leave the barrel much cleaner than the cheaper 22s.
    I saw the leading videos too. Fortunately I haven't seen any issues after 500rnds but they were all plated boolits. I need to shoot some lead to see, but 95% of my deep stash is copper plated so shouldn't be an issue.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    >> Interesting points in this vid about enclosed red-dot sights.

The Future is Now - Enclosed Red Dot Sights - Aimpoint P2 ACRO

Top Bottom