• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    You don't need 5k rounds to get used to a red dot. You need to practice your presentation every day until you get the dot in eyesight every time.

I'm surprised you didn't see a big difference in ease and accuracy switchin between RDS and irons. Everyone who uses my pistol says the RDS feels like cheating.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    >> Interesting points in this vid about enclosed red-dot sights.

The Future is Now - Enclosed Red Dot Sights - Aimpoint P2 ACRO

The Necro? What a joke.

V1 had absurdly bad battery life. V2 fixed that but it's still much bigger than a 509T with a somehow smaller window. That thing was DOA; I'm surprised Aimpoint even put it into production.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Back on the Red Dot thinking again...anyone ever try a Hex Dragonfly 3.8 MOA?

It has Sprinfield Armory's name attached, so that's already a couple of strikes against it. I'm also leery of the price.

Best to wait until Sage Dynamics does a test on it- if Cowan will even consider it. For $150 more you could have a 509T which is proven tough and has the advantages of an enclosed emitter.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    You don't need 5k rounds to get used to a red dot. You need to practice your presentation every day until you get the dot in eyesight every time.

I'm surprised you didn't see a big difference in ease and accuracy switchin between RDS and irons. Everyone who uses my pistol says the RDS feels like cheating.
    I shot the same if not better with irons so why waste the money? The pistol is on to a new home with a member from here so I guess that means im sticking with iron sights for now

Tank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    Houston

I'm seriously contemplating getting that MantisX system to practice at home just because of this.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

Dry fire all you want, its an aid, not a replacement. Recoil control, tracking the dot, plus the mental difference between sitting in your room dry firing, and actual live fire, are all things that dry fire wont help with. And yeah, red dots are not easy buttons.

The 5000 rounds is a ball park figure, obviously, and is for someone at least somewhat competent with iron sights.

And lets be real, the average person needs about 5k rounds regardless...

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Dry fire all you want, its an aid, not a replacement. Recoil control, tracking the dot, plus the mental difference between sitting in your room dry firing, and actual live fire, are all things that dry fire wont help with. And yeah, red dots are not easy buttons.

The 5000 rounds is a ball park figure, obviously, and is for someone at least somewhat competent with iron sights.

And lets be real, the average person needs about 5k rounds regardless...

I never said anything about dry firing (even though I love it for practicing trigger control- especially with a red dot). What I'm saying is to get your presentation down before you even hit the range, otherwise you'll be one of those guys who gets lost searching for his dot in the glass.

I'm pretty sure most people don't even shoot 5k rounds in their entire lives!

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    I put a red dot recently on a Taurus TX 22 competition slide and I'm committing to shooting a box of ammo (at least 50-100 rounds of 22LR) through it every time I go down to the ranch - which isn't often enough. I'm liking the red dot more and more.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I never said anything about dry firing (even though I love it for practicing trigger control- especially with a red dot). What I'm saying is to get your presentation down before you even hit the range, otherwise you'll be one of those guys who gets lost searching for his dot in the glass.

I'm pretty sure most people don't even shoot 5k rounds in their entire lives!
    Sorry, mis-spoke.

Presentations still won't take you all the way, live fire is where theory becomes practice, though you are right that one should get presentation down first.

Most people can't imagine what 5k rounds looks like, and it definitely showns

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Sorry, mis-spoke.

Presentations still won't take you all the way, live fire is where theory becomes practice, though you are right that one should get presentation down first.

Most people can't imagine what 5k rounds looks like, and it definitely showns

"Five thousand rounds? You must be a real gun-nut!"

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm pretty well sold on the concept of a red dot on a pistol. I've got a Holosun 507 Green dot with the ACSS reticle on my Walther PDP. Its fantastic. It's fairly easy to make 50-75 yard shots with that optic on that gun. It's got this big circle around the reticle that aids in getting you on target faster when you're new to RDSs on a pistol. You can't see the circle when the reticle is centered.

HE507C-GR-X2-ACSS_06.jpg

HE507C-GR-X2-ACSS_05.jpg

Last edited:

Tank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    Houston
    Shot a new XDm-elite with a hex site on it yesterday, our instructor told me he was going to have me turn it off if I keep hunting for the red dot. Took the hex off today...may be later, will try again.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Shot a new XDm-elite with a hex site on it yesterday, our instructor told me he was going to have me turn it off if I keep hunting for the red dot. Took the hex off today...may be later, will try again.

Lots of presentation practice - either from low ready, or the holster - will help with this. It can't give you much in terms of finding after recoil - OTHER than by working on your grip consistency. Ideally the gun will settle back under recoil where it started and you should get the dot back real quick.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    I have just recently got into pistol optics. Started with a CZ P09 that I had milled and really liked it. Did take me getting used to the dot moving around so much. I now have a P365XL and Elite LTT RDO. I really like being able to target focus. You said you shot irons just as good, but said your target was 10 - 15 yards. I experience the same, but where the dot really shines is at longer distance I think.

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx

How is the XDM-elite? Springfield is selling the service model slide with the red dot cuts. which I already have. I am kicking ideas around at the moment.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I wonder if handgun grip angles will change in the future due to RD sights.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I wonder if handgun grip angles will change in the future due to RD sights.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Maybe, but probably not.

Walther made a big to-do about how the flare at the bottom of their grip (which was there from the P99 onward) helps bring red dots in line - which is true if the dot is too high to be seen, but its not like they designed their grip with that in mind, because when the P99 was first out, no one was putting RMR's into pistol slides. Those running red dots were using special bolt on mounts that attached at the dust cover, and some guys still do.

I think if you're used to a Glock / European grip angle, it won't be hard to throw a dot on there and keep trucking. If you like a 1911 / American grip angle - same story. Maybe someone will research the "optimal" grip angle to pair with a red dot, but maybe not. A lot of money for minimal increase in efficiency. And there'll still be people saying "Well, that grip angle sucks, I like my (brand X) better"

WAA

I ❤️ Texas
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2022
    Slab City
    I didn’t mind the ACOG back when if I broke it I could go turn it in and get another one. But now that the logistical largesse of the gummint is no longer supporting me, I don’t own any fancy schmanzy rifle optics, and I have no desire to hang any of that stuff on a handgun. I’d run the batteries down regularly.

Top Bottom