• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    That sent me down a research rabbit hole. Interesting. Looks like Smith & Wesson mismarked a bunch of 681s as 68-1.

The original Model 68 was a 6" K frame chambered in .38 for the CHP to handle .38 Special +P+.
    Military Camp

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    That sent me down a research rabbit hole. Interesting. Looks like Smith & Wesson mismarked a bunch of 681s as 68-1.

The original Model 68 was a 6" K frame chambered in .38 for the CHP to handle .38 Special +P+.

Pretty much that’s what I’ve found. There’s a question as to whether a recall was performed on this one. Rumor says some slipped out the door with Mod. 68 stamped, and when recalled they added the -1. Then, for the -1s that went out, there was an M added to the end and new builds were a -2.

I want to get a letter for it, but never been motivated enough.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I was lucky enough to get a Smith and Wesson Model 29 today. Go big or go home!! Gonna be at the range when they open in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Jun 23, 2014
    Decided I “need” a revolver. First thought was to get a Taurus or something inexpensive (came close to ordering a Taurus .44 magnum off grabagun) but I really want a S&W or Ruger. Trying to study up on different models, but the Smith and Wesson .357’s have me going in circles! There’s the model 19, the 60, and the 686! There are K frames and L frames! This may take some book learnin’ before I figure out what to get.

CodyK,

Even though I've been a COLT guy since 1966, I would suggest that you find & buy a good/used RUGER SPEED SIX.

The Speed Six is UGLY & CLUNKY but it is a TANK, is AMERICAN MADE, relatively inexpensive, seldom breaks but it is easy to repair if it does & will outlast me & you both. - The Speed Six is also CONCEALABLE, when compared to many .38SPL/.357MAG revolvers.
    (The RUGER SERVICE SIX is also TOUGH, CHEAP TO BUY & LONGLASTING.)

just my OPINION, satx

Last edited:

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    6d49f711f901327445723f234bfa7937.jpg

If you’re going to get a wheel gun.. .

Attachments

• 6d49f711f901327445723f234bfa7937.jpg
      6d49f711f901327445723f234bfa7937.jpg
      118.5 KB · Views: 549

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    A solid contender here is the currently made Ruger GP-100.
    Ruger is now making a seven shot .357mag version.
    The gun is strong enough for nuke'um from orbit loads.
    I'd advise against any of the older Security or Speed Six models as they are no longer supported by Ruger. So no parts or service.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Dude. Come to one of our meets when the lockdown stops. You will be overwhelmed. For myself, I prefer the S&W's for their refinement. But if I had to absolutely rely on one, if take my GP100. They're built like tanks.

To add to this, I’ve owned both a Ruger Redhawk Hunter with a 7.5” barrel and a Smith & Wesson Model 29 with an 8 3/8” barrel.

The Model 29 does look nicer and more refined but it slaps like hell with the factory wood grip when shooting winchester white box 240 gr magnums.

The Redhawk Hunter shooting the same ammo on the factory wood grip was far more pleasurable to shoot, and didn’t cause any physical pain. Of course this may differ on your hands and grip choice and what not, but the added weight of the Redhawk due to its bulk really does soak up the recoil and make the gun a great shooting experience compared to the Smith & Wesson. The cylinder is also longer so you can shoot hotter loads with bigger bullets that wouldn’t fit in the smith’s cylinder and be able to close, like Buffalo Bore 340 gr +P+ magnum loads.

Both guns are accurate as hell, but I think the Ruger would be able to take more abuse all the while. I can only speak for the 44 Magnum version of the Ruger as that’s all I’ve owned from them.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    You've gotten some good advice but I'll add a bit more. I'm a Smith fan but you can't go wrong with either S&W or Ruger. I do like shooting the GP100s as well, especially in 10mm.

Smith & Wesson revolvers have a letter system for their frame sizes.

J frames are the small ones, usually snubnoses and generally 5 shots in .38 or .357. They're made more for carry than extended shooting.

K frames are, as said, the next size up and were made for carrying more than shooting but will do fine with a diet of mostly .38 Special. It seems their issues with forcing cones cracking are mainly with the lighter .357 loads like 125 gr. From my reading, it doesn't seem quite as pronounced with the 158 gr .357 loads. A modern production K-frame such as a new Model 19 shouldn't have this problem.

The L frames are the 586/686 and a bit larger. They were introduced to address the K frame issues. A good revolver for shooting and still carrying if needed. The 686 is a joy to shoot. The 986 chambered in 9mm is a blast but pretty expensive. You can also get the 686+ which holds 7 rounds of .38/.357.

If you want a hard hitter, you can get an L frame Model 69 Combat Magnum in .44 Magnum.

The N frames are the big ones. Model 27/28 in .357, Model 29 in .44 Magnum. Model 625 is in .45 ACP and fed with moonclips. The Model 610 is 10mm also fed by moonclicps.

Model numbers that start with a 6 are stainless steel. Without, they're blued. So a 586 is a blued L frame .357 while a 686 is a stainless L frame .357.

A Model 29 is a blued .44 Magnum N frame while a 629 is a stainless steel .44 Manum N frame.

I would try as many as you can. If you were to pick just one, it's hard to go wrong with a 686.

You left out the last one. Those hand cannons they forgot the wheels for. 460 and 500 Smith versions. I believe they are X frame.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I ignored the X frame for the purposes of that post but you're absolutely correct.

I'd classify the X frame guns as "The Monsters". :)

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I was lucky enough to get a Smith and Wesson Model 29 today. Go big or go home!! Gonna be at the range when they open in the morning.

We need details and pictures. :)

Which dash model? Barrel length?

CodyK

Well-Known
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    It’s a 29-2 (3T) 8 5/8” barrel. Just got home from the range. Smiling like a Cheshire Cat!!! What a cannon! I was wondering about the target trigger it has. Are they meant to shoot more double action? I started shooting single action, and I’m guessing the pull was less than a pound! Touchy as hell! For sone reason it’s not letting me post a pic. I’ll try again later.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Pinned and Recessed with the Target features. Awesome. The ribbed wide trigger and wide hammer are made to shoot primarily in single action. You can, of course, shoot double action as well. They really sing in single action though.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    It’s a 29-2 (3T) 8 5/8” barrel. Just got home from the range. Smiling like a Cheshire Cat!!! What a cannon! I was wondering about the target trigger it has. Are they meant to shoot more double action? I started shooting single action, and I’m guessing the pull was less than a pound! Touchy as hell! For sone reason it’s not letting me post a pic. I’ll try again later.

Welcome to the club, congrats!

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    I have had two Taurus revolvers.....a 686 clone and one of the snubnosed .357's. No longer have the 4" but still have the snubbie.....they have both been fine for me. I have a Ruger SP101 with crimson trace grips.....very solid......it's definitely a keeper forever. I also have an Iver Johnson .22 but it has to be loaded through a gate so isn't that fast but it is fun.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Maybe I’m a little weird, but this damn gun makes me feel so good! When I got my first 1911, I remember being really happy, but having this in my collection takes it to another level! I texted a pic to my brother, who has the Model 28 with an 8 5/8” barrel, and he’s dying to get this outta my hands! NOT HAPPENING! Not a great pic, I couldn’t get any of my others to post, but here it is!
    b87d49114e9e5546529316f754475641.jpg

Attachments

• b87d49114e9e5546529316f754475641.jpg
      b87d49114e9e5546529316f754475641.jpg
      90.5 KB · Views: 736

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Ya done good but you need the wood target stocks to complete the look. ;)

Those are probably more comfortable to shoot though.

Top Bottom