• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NativH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Houston
    just my experience and I do agree that "riding faster makes you safer, harder to hit" is ridiculous.
    Did the V Twin thing for awhile and then a 2010 Goldwing before giving it up again recently. I assume the faster comment is not a crotch rocket version of speed but more like not just sitting in traffic but constantly moving through it. In Houston, that is a very good idea because a stationary target is, a target. That even works for cars. Sit in the same place and someone will come into it with you. Guaranteed. I quit riding with my group of 10 when they started riding 5-10 under the limit. Talk about pissing people off and instigating road rage. Poor idea when you are on two wheels. Now I drive a SUV and don't worry about my life, but I always give a biker and trucker room and benefit of doubt.
    Gun Zone Deals

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    My philosophy was to stay as far away from other vehicles as much as possible. If that meant speeding up to get away from a clump of cars than that's what I'd do. If it meant slowing down to keep a distance, I'd do that. It is never a good idea to be anywhere near a car or truck while riding. Heck, I wasn't even a big fan of riding in groups...and never the CHiPs approach of riding side-by-side. I left that to the parade riders...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Going to have to disagree with you on the second one TXI though admittedly my evidence is purely anecdotal. It's been my experience after ~40 years of riding many people are too distracted to "look" for motorcycles, their mind is elsewhere and they "look" for cars.

When I worked in Cary, NC I rode different bikes to work, one had "Street Sweepers", straight, long, low pipes that were loud as hell, one of the others had factory pipes and was very quiet (comparatively). When I rode the quieter bikes the close calls and number of folks who pulled out in front of me was significantly higher than when I rode one of the louder bikes because though they didn't "see" me they did hear me and it cut through their distraction.

I could see it; someone about to pull onto the road from a driveway, looking, looking, wheels start moving, creeping, creeping then I'd pull the clutch, roll the throttle and watch their head swivel back toward me and eyes make contact with mine as they mashed the brake. On the quieter bikes I just slowed down in preparation of them pulling out because it happened nearly every time.

There is an awful lot of silliness in the bike community that gets passed around as "common knowledge" I've found is often parroted bias; GoldWing riders talking down RoadKing reliability or comfort, Harley riders knocking Yamaha riders for their "toy" bikes or even other Harley riders for which bike they ride, the moniker "Skirtster", a classic example of parroted wisdom.

That's not necessarily directed at you as you may have different first-hand experience, just my experience and I do agree that "riding faster makes you safer, harder to hit" is ridiculous.
    When I was a cop I worked plenty of MC wrecks where cars collided with bikes that had loud pipes. ;)

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Some jackleg rider today came up in the fast lane and cut in front of me with about 1 foot between his rear tire and my bumper. For some reason he was upset that I blew the horn at him. The he swerves between cars at 75 and 80 and continues on his way.

I really hate it when MCs are parked in the striped areas between two handicap parking spaces. My wife has hit one with her wheel chair before. Her walker too.
    She didn't do it intentionally, just accidentally.

So please don't be a rider like those guys.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Some jackleg rider today came up in the fast lane and cut in front of me with about 1 foot between his rear tire and my bumper. For some reason he was upset that I blew the horn at him. The he swerves between cars at 75 and 80 and continues on his way.

I really hate it when MCs are parked in the striped areas between two handicap parking spaces. My wife has hit one with her wheel chair before. Her walker too.
    She didn't do it intentionally, just accidentally.

So please don't be a rider like those guys.

Must look close. I have DP plates on my bike. I know I have ruined some peoples dinner because they didn't look at the plates before bitching.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Must look close. I have DP plates on my bike. I know I have ruined some peoples dinner because they didn't look at the plates before bitching.

Doesn't matter, no vehicles can be parked in the access areas adjacent to handicapped parking spots. I have written a lot of citations for it, to include people with handicapped tags and/or placards...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Doesn't matter, no vehicles can be parked in the access areas adjacent to handicapped parking spots.
    Too true. At least a dozen people who park on the stripes in front of my gym have gotten tickets for it. All of those, interestingly, occurred while I was in attendance. :)

One time, I called in for a guy on the stripes and before the Constable arrived, a lady pulled into the handicapped space, proper, to "run in for just a minute" to execute some paperwork in the gym. The unit showed up, blocked both vehicles, and wrote two tickets on one call.

Now, there's some construction going on next door to the gym. Because the door to the new business being installed is right in front of the handicapped space, the workers just took down the handicapped signs and park wherever they want. Thus, my gym no longer has any (required, I believe) handicapped parking access and won't until the construction is finished.

MMM - Is there a ticket for just taking down the sign and parking in the space and on the stripes? Somehow, I have a feeling that would be a bit more complicated.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Too true. At least a dozen people who park on the stripes in front of my gym have gotten tickets for it. All of those, interestingly, occurred while I was in attendance. :)

One time, I called in for a guy on the stripes and before the Constable arrived, a lady pulled into the handicapped space, proper, to "run in for just a minute" to execute some paperwork in the gym. The unit showed up, blocked both vehicles, and wrote two tickets on one call.

Now, there's some construction going on next door to the gym. Because the door to the new business being installed is right in front of the handicapped space, the workers just took down the handicapped signs and park wherever they want. Thus, my gym no longer has any (required, I believe) handicapped parking access and won't until the construction is finished.

MMM - Is there a ticket for just taking down the sign and parking in the space and on the stripes? Somehow, I have a feeling that would be a bit more complicated.

Not sure about the question, but a sign must be present and within the standards for handicapped accessible parking set by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. The specific provision can be found at: http://www.tdlr.texas.gov/ab/2012abtas5.htm#502

Of note, 502.6 Identification. Parking space identification signs shall include the International Symbol of Accessibility complying with 703.7.2.1. Signs identifying van parking spaces shall contain the designation "van accessible." Signs shall be 60 inches (1525 mm) minimum above the finish floor or ground surface measured to the bottom of the sign.

Also, to be clear not the entire access area is enforceable. The first five feet of a striped parking area that is immediately adjacent to an accessible parking space is considered part of the parking space. The first eight feet of a striped area immediately adjacent to a van accessible space is considered a part of the van accessible parking space. Vehicles may not be parked or standing in a striped access aisle or blocking an access ramp provided for the safety of handicapped individuals, or the can be cited.

To be honest, it is situational dependent. We have some latitude as to whether we write a citation or just a warning depending on the circumstances. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and write more warnings, but when the situations warrants I won't hesitate to issue a citation. Just a tip, someone yelling at or arguing with me when they are clearly violating the law greatly reduces their chances of getting a warning. When people are honest and own up to their mistake, I will likely cut them a break even if I've written the citation (we can void the ones we issue as they aren't electronic). YMMV.

Oh, and there's a gym across the street from the substation I mainly work out of. It's usually the first place we hit when we go out on patrol. It's also usually a place where we write several citations every time we go there. I've always wondered about that...

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I had heard at one time that if there is no "fine amount shown/included" along with the actual handicap sign, that it was not valid.
    Is this correct?

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    There are good and bad riders. A good rider obeys the laws (mostly), is often more courteous on the road then most cagers, watches everyone and trusts no one.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    There are good and bad riders. A good rider obeys the laws (mostly), is often more courteous on the road then most cagers, watches everyone and trusts no one.

That's Gospel truth! After 52 years riding cycles, I'm still in love with the darned things but I learned some hard, fast rules!

Rules of thumb:
    Will that car turn in front of you? Yes, absolutely!
    Will that car pull out in front of you? Yes, every time!
    Will a Cager change lanes and force you off the road? No doubt!
    Do Cagers care if they wreck you? Not in the least!
    The sap suckers will look you in the eye, wait until you get up real close, then turn in front of you!
    Had a lady swerve to avoid hitting a turtle and put me off onto the shoulder. That's where you are on the food chain!

Even with all that considered, I had a bad case of cabin fever after all the rain we had, so I fired up the Harley and got some wind therapy yesterday. It's all better, now!

Flash

Top Bottom