• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 00ChevyScott

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Arlington, TX
    After recent events (Ferguson riots, continuing threats of terrorism, general lawlessness of groups of people and government) have taken place, it really has me wondering if my handgun (CHL) is enough protection when away from home.

Do any of you store a rifle or shotgun in your vehicle just in case? Is the threat of theft outweighed by the benefit of having a rifle nearby if something catastrophic were to happen?

I'd like to think the citizens of the DFW area are better than those who riot and loot when times get tough, but weird things happen to people when a chaotic event takes place.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Yes, have for years. It's a frankenFAL, and it shoots good.

No, I try to prepare for threats, keep it hidden.

I don't trust the folks in a lot of parts of Houston I travel and work in to not act like animinals at the drop of a hat.

Marlowe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    out in the boonies
    I generally have a rifle in the truck, mainly just for hogs, coyotes, etc.; a real "ranch rifle", so to speak. If I'm off the ranch, and it switches over to being defense against rampaging urban vermin, so be it. If I worked in the city every day, no way I'd carry one like that; the risk of the top getting blown off of civilization, however localized, is for the most part much smaller than the risk of some lone douchebag breaking into my truck.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Shotgun sometimes, AR style maybe. I travel a lot too. Just depends on what mood I am in, where I'm going. You could carry it in a guitar case or some other kind of inconspicuous bag, say into a restaurant.

But you can bet your bottom line there are multiple handguns around and plenty of ammo. They go where I go too. In the event of a mob or riot, just get the loud mouth first and the rest will most likely scatter like cockroaches. Glock 34 should be enough I figure.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    No. Too much risk of theft.

Though I will admit I used to deliver pizzas at Papa John's with an AR resting on my passenger seat once or twice. We'd park right in front of the storefront with giant windows with the dough guys facing the parking lot and it was hard to see unless you were looking inside the car, due to the seat color.

This was before I got my CHL. motorist protection act was a thing so I'd carry my 1911 or a Redhawk 44 mag revolver in the car 99% of the time

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Shotgun sometimes, AR style maybe. I travel a lot too. Just depends on what mood I am in, where I'm going. You could carry it in a guitar case or some other kind of inconspicuous bag, say into a restaurant.

But you can bet your bottom line there are multiple handguns around and plenty of ammo. They go where I go too. In the event of a mob or riot, just get the loud mouth first and the rest will most likely scatter like cockroaches. Glock 34 should be enough I figure.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/articles-how-tos/45804-disguising-your-ar.html

MikePotts

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I do, not always this one, with a rain jacket or shirt thrown over it:

P1010556_zps0a862018.jpg

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I carry some kind of long gun in every vehicle we own.

Even if you never go to bad areas that doesn't stop bad people from coming to yours.

I do not really plan on deploying them from inside the vehicle. If trouble happens while I am driving I can either run somebody over or run away.

A long gun in my vehicle is just there for backup to my CCW.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I carry some kind of long gun in every vehicle we own.

Even if you never go to bad areas that doesn't stop bad people from coming to yours.

I do not really plan on deploying them from inside the vehicle. If trouble happens while I am driving I can either run somebody over or run away.

A long gun in my vehicle is just there for backup to my CCW.

+1

I guess a lot of folks have had their vehicles broken into a lot of time more than me (twice), insurance took care of everything minus the deductibles. Having a gun stolen from my SUV would be an inconvenience to me, not something that outweighs my needs to have it there. Kinda like a parachute, better to have and not need than need and not have................plus I can always buy another one.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    +1

I guess a lot of folks have had their vehicles broken into a lot of time more than me (twice), insurance took care of everything minus the deductibles. Having a gun stolen from my SUV would be an inconvenience to me, not something that outweighs my needs to have it there. Kinda like a parachute, better to have and not need than need and not have................plus I can always buy another one.
    Agreed. Anything I carry in my vehicle is cheap enough to replace if stolen. Well worth having the added insurance if things get very serious.

Top Bottom