• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I really want to keep an AR in my truck toolbox for SHTF, but that's a pretty big hit if someone were to get in there. I'm in Houston and I've never heard of anyone getting their toolbox broken into, but IDK...

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I really want to keep an AR in my truck toolbox for SHTF, but that's a pretty big hit if someone were to get in there. I'm in Houston and I've never heard of anyone getting their toolbox broken into, but IDK...

Smart thinking! It happens! Just 'cause you haven't heard about it doesn't mean it hasn't happened! I've only heard of a couple of cases.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Sad to think that not all that long ago in Texas it was rare sight to see a pickup without a full gun rack in the rear window.

AAMOF, in college in the early sixties, a friend and I bought a few old Winchester rifles by just waiting outside a bar in the afternoon for the owner of a truck to come out so we could make him an offer.

Texas is a different place today - hard to realize just how different without some age based perspective.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Hell, I had a rifle rack in my back window at 16, and actually used it. That was only 14 years ago.

Now I shove my rifles out of sight. What happened to me:(

00ChevyScott

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Arlington, TX
    Hell, I had a rifle rack in my back window at 16, and actually used it. That was only 14 years ago.

Now I shove my rifles out of sight. What happened to me:(

Sad to think that not all that long ago in Texas it was rare sight to see a pickup without a full gun rack in the rear window.

AAMOF, in college in the early sixties, a friend and I bought a few old Winchester rifles by just waiting outside a bar in the afternoon for the owner of a truck to come out so we could make him an offer.

Texas is a different place today - hard to realize just how different without some age based perspective.

There's a simple answer. Look at the demographics of Texas now vs 20 years ago.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I can remember when it was uncommon to find someone in Texas that was not from Texas. Unless around a military base that is. As an army brat, when we got to Temple, I was an oddity. That was spring'72. Met a lot of folk then that had never been out of Texas. Some had not been as far as Dallas or Houston. It is truly a different State now. I still prefer it, but liked it better then. But probably true of anyplace else too.

from an idgit coffeeholic

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    No. Too much risk of theft.

Though I will admit I used to deliver pizzas at Papa John's with an AR resting on my passenger seat once or twice. We'd park right in front of the storefront with giant windows with the dough guys facing the parking lot and it was hard to see unless you were looking inside the car, due to the seat color.

This was before I got my CHL. motorist protection act was a thing so I'd carry my 1911 or a Redhawk 44 mag revolver in the car 99% of the time

I would have paid a reasonable sum of money to see you pull that 44 and exclaim "you feeling lucky punk"?

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    After recent events (Ferguson riots, continuing threats of terrorism, general lawlessness of groups of people and government) have taken place, it really has me wondering if my handgun (CHL) is enough protection when away from home.

Do any of you store a rifle or shotgun in your vehicle just in case? Is the threat of theft outweighed by the benefit of having a rifle nearby if something catastrophic were to happen?

I'd like to think the citizens of the DFW area are better than those who riot and loot when times get tough, but weird things happen to people when a chaotic event takes place.

Ferguson was the last straw for me too....that and the fact there are too many American Muslims sympathetic to ISIS and the world wide caliphate that a simple handgun is no longer sufficient fire power. I'm installing one of these in the bed of my truck:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sec...outube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMtD-tm_ovV4;1280;720

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013

It's an even bigger hit if you're in a situation where heavier firepower is needed and you don't have it. My Home Owner's policy covers theft from vehicles and my truck spends 95% of it's time in either a secured parking facility with CCTV and security guards or in a nearly crime-free neighborhood's driveway with CCTV. Theft from my vehicle is the least of my concerns compared to being prepared for the shtf.

Polarbear6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Central Texas
    About a year ago after leaving the indoor range (Red's South in Austin), the wife and I decided to go have some lunch at a pretty nice restaurant (Moonshines) on Red River downtown. After lunch we came back out to our vehicle (Toyota FJ) and saw the driver’s window smashed and the portable GPS that was on the dash taken. Lucky for me they didn't look on the floorboard between the front and back seats. There they would have found a Bushmaster AR-15, Remington 30.06 and a range bag with 3 pistols and 2 revolvers in it hiding down there.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    With AR's as cheap as they are (Adams Arms blem at Bud's for $599 for example) I don't see the down side. Having learned a little bit more about ballistics, I sure as hell ain't relying on a pistol to get me home. And home is 26 miles across Houstone on a good day. Q10 taught me that I could get trapped on a freeway, I am not comfortable entrusting my well being to his peaceful little minions : KLiK

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    With AR's as cheap as they are (Adams Arms blem at Bud's for $599 for example) I don't see the down side. Having learned a little bit more about ballistics, I sure as hell ain't relying on a pistol to get me home. And home is 26 miles across Houstone on a good day. Q10 taught me that I could get trapped on a freeway, I am not comfortable entrusting my well being to his peaceful little minions : KLiK

For some of us, $500-600 is quite a bit of money! I'm saving up for a house in the country and land is $$$ expensive down here. Maybe if I could find a cheap used one...

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    with ar's as cheap as they are (adams arms blem at bud's for $599 for example) i don't see the down side. Having learned a little bit more about ballistics, i sure as hell ain't relying on a pistol to get me home. And home is 26 miles across houstone on a good day. Q10 taught me that i could get trapped on a freeway, i am not comfortable entrusting my well being to his peaceful little minions : klik

q10?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    For some of us, $500-600 is quite a bit of money! I'm saving up for a house in the country and land is $$$ expensive down here. Maybe if I could find a cheap used one...

I hear Red Jacket ARs lost some value recently.

Top Bottom